Need some opinions, roll cage colour....

Well I'm stuck :/ I've brought a cage and test fitted it today but unsure what colour I should have it painted as hopefully its just there for looks as I won't be going on track. So I'm going to be keeping all the rear plastics and carpet in.

Before I got it in the car I thought I'd have it yellow but after seeing it in I quite like it white as I have thought about getting white cup racer wheels. The other option is grey to go with the wheels (if I keep them) and the decals.

Here's some pictures I took earlier while it was just laid in the car as well as the seats and some of the rear plastics. Would be ace if someone could photoshop it with the different options :wink:

FFD7C522-3D41-46A6-9983-BB1A1558BD3E_zpstnq8gjbz.jpg
8710036C-D0FB-45F0-9A14-F03B523C9607_zpswiu0pgnt.jpg
167462A2-7D68-41B8-93DC-0E09CE11CF1C_zpsx65ic9vx.jpg
968A5E4B-CF9B-4F3A-A4EE-64FCA86DDDB4_zpsuur1g9l5.jpg
A906C2E2-E111-430D-A4B0-DA028B6075CD_zpsfib0mbbg.jpg

Personally I'd go matt black and try to get it to not be obvious.

On a side note what does your insurance company think of this? I know a guy who fitted a cage and didn't tell his insurance company. He was stopped by the police who made enquiries re the cage which resulted in the insurance company cancelling the policy and the guy going to court on a fraud charge for which he was found guilty. Turns out the company would have covered him, but for £6,000. Apparently insurance companies don't like cages in road cars.

Not sure about black as I'd like it to stand out and Paddy in relation to my insurance I haven't yet asked them but they haven't been worried about any of my other mods.

Black would look tidy tho

Ditto on the above post on the insurance, even a harness bar caused me problems until I went with competition car insurance, with all mods photo'd. Insurance companies don't like them as they cause a lot of injuries in an accident. I know a lot of people omit things from the insurance companies, it is easy to get away with wheels but you try getting out of a roll cage claim when a lorry shunted you from behind. The only time you should have a cage in a car is on the race track wearing crash helmets.

Sorry but that's how I see it.

Obviously if your insurance company is okay with it, that's fine...

Personally I'd go matt black and try to get it to not be obvious.

On a side note what does your insurance company think of this? I know a guy who fitted a cage and didn't tell his insurance company. He was stopped by the police who made enquiries re the cage which resulted in the insurance company cancelling the policy and the guy going to court on a fraud charge for which he was found guilty. Turns out the company would have covered him, but for £6,000. Apparently insurance companies don't like cages in road cars.

Not always true. Mine with cage, buckets and harnesses cost me £48 extra premium. Did check multiple times on the phone.

No offense but why would you want the inconvenience of scaffolding in the back of your car if its not going to have some proper seats and harnesses fitted to it? Think of the weight!

Even a rear bolt in that your head is nowhere near?

Best to check, it alters the construction of your car. As I said, if a lorry rear ends you, the car normally crushes and you walk away, with a cage bolted in that can no longer happen and you are crushed to death.

Not long ago we were on the hard shoulder of the motorway, clutch pipe had burst on the wife's Porsche. Everyone was rubber necking, the RangeRover driver did not see the slowing traffic because of looking at our car and hit a Ford Focus at about 70 mph. The Range Rover hit the car that hard that it left the ground, had the crumple zones not been in that car the occupants would all have been killed. This is why insurance companies don't like roll cages. Even fitting a tow bar now it has to be an approved unit and not interfere with the crumple zones. Tow bars are now costing over a grand to fit on the likes of Audis, so a roll cage in a car is more than just a concern over banging heads.

Different insurance companies have different views but it is usually one of the most no no mods in a road car. Competition cars used on the road fall into different categories and are insured differently.

Not always true. Mine with cage, buckets and harnesses cost me £48 extra premium. Did check multiple times on the phone.

Very true, but for the cost of a phone call it's always worth making. As we all know there are some insurance companies out there that don't allow any modifications at all never mind a roll cage that fundamentally alters the construction of the car and its crash/protection characteristics.

Even a rear bolt in that your head is nowhere near?

From the picture it looks like the rear bar on that cage is about 3cm (if not less) from your head, directly behind the seat head rest.

Last edited:
I'm not planning on keeping if from my insurance company and no offence taken stuieplk that's one reason I test fitted it as I aren't sure about having one, I just saw it for sale at a good price and thought I'm having that haha

Haha, I had an Oulton cage in mine so I could get away with running slicks at track days. Hated it, noisy and a pain in the arse only having 2 seats for day to day usage.