Need new rear discs?

hi thanks 4 every ones help on here recently, one quik question my car had X4 new brake pads on few weeks ago before i bought it, front discs look in good condition, rear brakes have few patches on them, i can here a faint scraping noise few seconds before coming to a complete stop, am i just looking for problems after my recent luck! or is this prob a sign discs worn?

What mileage are you on? I'd be very surprised if the rear discs are worn, if anything it would be rear bearings.

The patches on the discs will just be from where the pads sit with the handbrake on. You could try cleaning them up by lightly applying the handbrake whilst you drive along, obviously don't put it on hard as you don't want to lock the wheels

mine are on a third set of pads now, will definitely need changing with the next pads though, but still legal as they have not reached minimum thickness yet ( 9mm or 9,5mm I believe ) anyway had them checked by the dealer so pretty sure they'd be happy to charge me a set, but they said they're ok

i doubt they would have put new pads in if the discs were knackered. i bought my 197 bout a week ago, and ive noticed the exact same thing! its annoying me now. it aint gonna be a wheel bearing, they make a noticable noise when worn. im a mechanic myself, and i put it down to some rusty patches on discs, seems to be getting better though

Last edited:
I took a look at my rear disks today and there isnt hardly any lip on them at all. Mines on 35k now. Im going to be doing just the rear pads in light of this and see how i get on. At the same as 1144 front, hoses and fluid.

Will update my progress thread when done!

hi my car only has 38,000 on however think rear discs are knackered any one know cheapest place to get them cheers?

I would try Karl - twingogeekeo

Be careful if you buy non-OE parts as you also need the bearings and tone wheels, which come ready fitted to the OE parts.