My new engine work!!!!!

Not been able to reveal too much untill we had all the bits squared away. Good to go now so........

My car currently has:

A full S/S miltek
Catcam 402's
Matched inlets
Custom ITG filter set up
RS tuning remap.

Now, for some unknown reason my car will be fine when freshly mapped (at 203BHP) then prgressiely lean the fueling out resulting in a big (last time was 18BHP) loss in power. Seems the Sagem ECU on the 197 just doesnt like being told what to do!!

After various attempts to fix this map, I have failed.

Fortunately my good friend Matt - AKA Icarus, happens to be a time served race engineer and software developer - writer, handy!! Also handy is the fact that he is setting up his own busines Tour-De-Force Power Engineering LTD.

Part of this is the all singing all dancing new ECU both him and RS Tuning have developed.

Hence my car is the 1st customer car to be fitted with the new EC1 ECU, coupled with the removal of the Drive By Wire throttle set up which is being converted to a cable throttle system. In addittion to this we are fitting a WTCC S2000 throttle body set up and having the VVT fully calibrated for proper adjustment.

This is scheduled for WC 12 October and full results will be provided.

Watch this space.....

***edit, 1st customer ROAD car, there are sever race teams running this very sucessfully and have been for a while***

Last edited:
drooling_homer.png

:biggrin:

Now, for some unknown reason my car will be fine when freshly mapped (at 203BHP) then prgressiely lean the fueling out resulting in a big (last time was 18BHP) loss in power. Seems the Sagem ECU on the 197 just doesnt like being told what to do!!..

that explains why people are very happy immediately after a remap but complain of power loss later and look at spark plugs, decat, intake as a possible cause...

so this means the existing remaps for the 197 are kinda useless?

LOL at homer!!!

that explains why people are very happy immediately after a remap but complain of power loss later and look at spark plugs, decat, intake as a possible cause...

so this means the existing remaps for the 197 are kinda useless?

Well it seems to be, all except Ben who says his is still fine??? Alright for some eh?!

lambo-21, I dunno about that lol! im just a bit crazy lol!! :smiley:

Nice future mods.

What I don't understand is why there is so much trouble getting software for the 197 ?

Here in Belgium there are plenty of tuners who offer software upgrades.

Example, I know that there is a safety on the throttle that needs to be turned off before the software can offer more power and torque.
We saw this when I got my software tune, first tests showed gains of 1hp and 2Nm, which was nothing really.
But because these guys have a lot of experience with Renault, they knew where to look.
So, once the throttle safety was gone, the car showed +4,5hp at the peak and a peak gain of 8hp from 1500-6500rpm, torque went up by 10Nm at the peak and showed a peak gain of almost 20Nm between 1500-6500rpm.

Kind regards

Der Abt

Nice future mods.

What I don't understand is why there is so much trouble getting software for the 197 ?

Here in Belgium there are plenty of tuners who offer software upgrades.

Example, I know that there is a safety on the throttle that needs to be turned off before the software can offer more power and torque.
We saw this when I got my software tune, first tests showed gains of 1hp and 2Nm, which was nothing really.
But because these guys have a lot of experience with Renault, they knew where to look.
So, once the throttle safety was gone, the car showed +4,5hp at the peak and a peak gain of 8hp from 1500-6500rpm, torque went up by 10Nm at the peak and showed a peak gain of almost 20Nm between 1500-6500rpm.

Kind regards

Der Abt

Interesting, any more info?

Interesting, any more info?

Kevo66,

I don't know which map it was that contained the safety (they will know this at wRa Autotune, my local tuner), but that is something you have to deal with without a doubt.
That safety is one of the main reasons why the car won't produce more power.

Kevo66,

I don't know which map it was that contained the safety (they will know this at wRa Autotune, my local tuner), but that is something you have to deal with without a doubt.
That safety is one of the main reasons why the car won't produce more power.

Im presuming mine was sorted as it made over 18BHP after the work the 1st time mate! Im just interested about this safety device!!

As I was saying all along - remaps on the STOCK cars just don't have any effect.

At least not the ones my friends did when we all had STOCK cars.

On ths 1st page mate!

Cams,inlets/exhaust and map :wink:

Not bad.
But how much did your car produce stock ?
With those mods this type of engine should be reaching close to 210hp (or a little bit more).
At least, that's what I've seen on other cars.

Kind regards

Der Abt

Not bad.
But how much did your car produce stock ?
With those mods this type of engine should be reaching close to 210hp (or a little bit more).
At least, that's what I've seen on other cars.

Kind regards

Der Abt

Depends on the rollers its tested on!! Its read near 220 on others!! You have to look at the increase TBH not the horsepower!! Only way to compare cars is on the same rollers!

It was 184 stock!

Depends on the rollers its tested on!! Its read near 220 on others!! You have to look at the increase TBH not the horsepower!! Only way to compare cars is on the same rollers!

It was 184 stock!

Ok, thanks for the info.

What's up with all the "!!!" :huh:
You sound upset or something ?
I just wanted to know what your car produced stock that's all.
Anyway, I'm curious to see your results after the mods to come.

It's true what you say, every dyno reads a bit different so to measure the gains, it's best to use the same one.

Kind regards

Der Abt

Last edited: