My 2010 Racing Blue 200

Been meaning to post an update for many weeks now but kept postponing it for various reasons / time constraints. I was going to rave about my new amazing brakes (ds1.11 in front, ds2500 in rear), new ADR08r's and plans for a full suspension refresh but instead I've some very upsetting news.

Not sure how but I've managed to change into wrong gear, stayed there around a second and jumped the cam belt. It's arguably the dumbest thing I've ever done with cars since I learned driving when I was a kid but it's just happened...

Got the car towed to Two Techs yesterday evening, they're looking at it now but it will at least be a cylinder head rebuild with valves etc. costing probably around £1000. I don't have the money to get it megged unfortunately, so it'll have to be the standard engine. I'm still unsure whether I should keep my engine and have it rebuilt or try and find a second hand one. Keeping mine is safer for the long term I guess, as I never had any problems with it before so I kinda know it's (was) a good one. A more costly option would be getting a fully rebuilt engine from Renparts (£1100) for absolute safe of mind but then the total costs would be coming close to Megane engine swap territory. I do however like the idea of having a brand new engine. Would be great to listen your opinion on this...

Suspension refresh will follow soon(ish) but I need to get the car back on the road first.

IMG_0792.jpg

image1.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. S**t happens unfortunately!
Lots of 2nd hand engines knocking about due to meg conversions. Just a straight swap then.....just a thought

as above..very sorry to hear..we all have done stupid things..im sure you should be able to get a second hand engine for decent money..
if you are thinking of a meg conversion,you would need a few more pennies to do it properly...

Sincere thanks for your support, it does mean a lot as I've been self loathing last couple of days. On the bright side I've some money on the side and hopefully AA garage cover will pay some part of the repair cost. It would have been a lot worse if this had happened at other times in my life.

@Sean197 Cheers for the info on Renparts, will follow your advise.

Assuming my lower engine (block) is fine and AA contributes £500 into the costs, do you see any reason for not repairing the current engine and going for a replacement (second hand) one? My engine used some oil (2-5 litres per 7-9K miles depending on driving conditions) but was absolutely fine otherwise. Never had it dyno'd but it seemed to pull well.

I really do love this car and want to get it to 100%. I will keep it at least a year, very likely two years. Depending on the condition of the block (whether the pistons are fine) I could as well stretch it a bit and get all done at once. Regards 'refreshing' the suspension, I'm thinking ball joints, top mounts, drop links, shocks and springs. Is there anything I'm missing? Currently there's some light knocking on bumps and potholes (possibly top mounts?) and it's really harsh on low speeds but no leaks on shocks or any other acute problem.

I don't need / aim to lower the car significantly, 1-2 cm would be great but even that is not a necessity. I would love to be able to adjust damping though, as I do a lot of driving for work therefore I'm kinda inclined to the idea of getting yellow Koni's with Eibach Pro springs. Does anyone know if they're available for late 200 cup suspension? I've messaged this seller but he's sure it doesn't fit cup suspension: https://www.ebay.com/itm/332459357677?ul_noapp=true

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Steer clear of the Renparts engines, they are cowboys. Believe me, I'm talking from bitter experience.

Here's a cheapish engine https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/362345335029
Could always fit the head of it to your block, providing no piston damage, them sell the remaining bits on to make some money back.

Agreed, Renparts is just a breakers yard, engine builders they are not. Also £1100 for a F4R engine is a bit nuts! :openmouth:

You'll probably find a decent 2nd hand one with low miles and history for a lot less. A rebuild is always a "rebuild", it's only as good as the person putting it together... :grimacing:

p.s. These engines do tend to drink a bit of oil, maybe more as they get older. I tend to do oil changes every 6k as its ready for a top up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean197 and wattson
There's also the anti rotation links on the suspension whilst your there.

Cooksports or grams are other options of springs, I have h&r's on mine but heard they can be harsh?

I've messaged you back about my engine's history.