MTEC Disc Coating

I've just email MTEC as well, they said they will send the images to their technical department

Sounds like you've already made more progress than I have! I'm still waiting on a reply from the email I sent them yesterday with the images...

This was their reply:
Thanks for sending in these pics. The coating is designed to help prevent against the onset of any rust, however as the parts are made from cast iron, we cannot offer any product which will guarantee protection indefinitely.

I have checked the thickness readings from when you purchased - to ensure the coating was adequately applied - and they are showing as well within tolerances.

We can certainly send out some high temperature coating which you can apply to the hub section?

This was their reply:
Thanks for sending in these pics. The coating is designed to help prevent against the onset of any rust, however as the parts are made from cast iron, we cannot offer any product which will guarantee protection indefinitely.

I have checked the thickness readings from when you purchased - to ensure the coating was adequately applied - and they are showing as well within tolerances.

We can certainly send out some high temperature coating which you can apply to the hub section?

All seems a bit contradictory... "prevent against the onset of rust, but we can't guarantee it indefinitely"... in your case it's only been 2 months! If they can't even guarantee/warrant a product for 12 months, why even offer it...

How do the rear discs vary to the fronts then, presumably the fronts must be made from something other than cast iron?

I fail to believe they're using the same disc coating/paint/method/whatever as they are on the fronts - the wear wouldn't be that uneven.

On the plus side, they're vaguely offering some assistance to help put it right...

I asked if the coating should last longer than 2 months but they avoided answering that. See what they say to you.

Yeah they offered to send me some coating. Just got to decide silver or black. Might go black as it will hide an further rust or dirt.

After sending another email to follow this up, I got a response - word for word the same as yours -

"Hi

Please let us know how you wish to proceed.

Thanks
Claire"

And my reply -

"Hi,

Thanks for your response, I guess having some high temp paint I can apply would be useful.

I'm a little confused though, as to why this has affected only the rear discs, and not the fronts.... are the discs made from different material? I would have thought both are cast iron? Is the paint used to coat the rear discs different to that of the front?

As shown in the pictures, the fronts are exactly as I'd expect them to be, but the rears don't seem to have any coating on at all... the disc has just rusted. The coating on the front discs actually feels different, you can quite easily tell it has paint on it, but the rear discs just feel like metal. There's no silver paint, no flaking/removal of the paint/coating just metal and rust.

I know there's currently someone else on the Clio197.net forum with the same issue - they only bought rear discs, with the silver coating, and within 2 months of fitting they've rusted identically to mine. I know the paint wont last forever, but surely anything less than 12 months it isn't even worth offering the coating service on rear/solid discs if it doesn't actually work? "

From MTEC:

Hi

No, problem.

I will arrange for SILVER coating to leave us asap.

The parts are all made from cast iron - not one is made from anything else.

The coating for fronts are rears is exactly the same.

The coating stays on the hubs for 2 - 3 years, so '' I know the paint wont last forever, but surely anything less than 12 months it isn't even worth offering the coating service on rear/solid discs if it doesn't actually work? ''

is an invalid question.

If someone else is having an issue, they would be best to come to us so we can sort it out.

Thanks
Clare

My reply:

Hi Claire,

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for the delivery.

If it's designed to last 2-3 years, is there a reason it's "failed" after <6 months?

I believe the other forum user has already been in contact with yourself.

From MTEC:

No problem, it should be with you early next week.

As the parts are made from cast iron, we cannot offer any product which will guarantee protection indefinitely. After years of supply mainly-coated parts to customers all over the World, the coating normally stays on for years.

My own discs were coated in December 2013 and the hubs are still black today.

Regards
Clare

Conclusion:

I can't be bothered to keep bouncing emails back and fourth now, but it would seem that since there's 3 people on here, all reporting the same issue with silver coating on rear discs - there's an issue.

Bottom line - if you're going to pay for MTEC disc colour coating on rear discs, go for Black.

I've come to the conclusion the coating stays on the discs: "long enough for them to charge for it"..... :s

I dont need discs yet, and have not read or researched how good these guys products are.

But rest assured come renewal time i'd rather jamn my trainer in the wheel to stop (Like you used to on your BMX) than purchase from these muppets.

Taking money is easy. Selling a great product; and on the few occasions there is an issue - sorting those problems amicably and to a satisfactory standard is what differentiates the good companies from the bad.

And on that level they appear to have sucked badly..........

I've come to the conclusion the coating stays on the discs: "long enough for them to charge for it"..... :s

I dont need discs yet, and have not read or researched how good these guys products are.

But rest assured come renewal time i'd rather jamn my trainer in the wheel to stop (Like you used to on your BMX) than purchase from these muppets.

Taking money is easy. Selling a great product; and on the few occasions there is an issue - sorting those problems amicably and to a satisfactory standard is what differentiates the good companies from the bad.

And on that level they appear to have sucked badly..........

In all fairness, the brakes themselves are fantastic. They just seem to have an issue with the silver coating, on the rear discs. Black seems to be fine on rear discs, and silver is also fine on fronts.

Why the rear disc + silver combo is causing such an issue I don't know.

Frustrating that MTEC dont seem to want to take responsibility/admit a problem though.

In academics case - his discs have been on 2 months, yet MTEC are saying their coating lasts 2-3 years.... if that doesn't indicate an issue I dont know what does.

In all fairness, the brakes themselves are fantastic. They just seem to have an issue with the silver coating, on the rear discs. Black seems to be fine on rear discs, and silver is also fine on fronts.

Why the rear disc + silver combo is causing such an issue I don't know.

Frustrating that MTEC dont seem to want to take responsibility/admit a problem though.

In academics case - his discs have been on 2 months, yet MTEC are saying their coating lasts 2-3 years.... if that doesn't indicate an issue I dont know what does.

My point entirely.

And passing responsibility wont earn my custom in future........

And with that attitude - whats the response going to be when someone has a problem with the discs themselves in the future god forbid ?

Last edited:
If there is one thing that can ruin a company's reputation very quickly it's how they handle customer service issues. If it turns out there is a fault with their product, they should bend over backwards to rectify it.
It's OK sending out a pot of paint, but what if your not very handy with cars and had paid someone else to fit the discs for you? Chances are this is going to be costing you more money to rectify and at the very least it's costing you half a day to mess about painting them yourself.

If there are a few instances of this happening they should be looking into it and offering replacements as it's clearly a quality issue.

That's the bit that's bugging me really, that they're not prepared to say "ok looks like we've got a problem then"

If you say a product lasts 2-3 years, and it lasts less than 6 months, and in one case (with picture proof) 2 months! that's shocking really..

Then to keep throwing out the line "we cannot offer any product which will guarantee protection indefinitely" - I'm not asking you to! If it had lasted a year I'd have been more satisfied - and you've just told me it should last 2-3! Please explain how after only 6 months, mine look like this!?

Looks like the paint has been dispatched by parcel force with 48 hour delivery, although unfortunately to my work address so I likely wont get this until Monday - will post some pics up again when I do - along with painting the discs as soon as the weather is decent enough - I wonder if they supply a brush to paint it on or if it'll be spray...

I recieved my pot yesterday, its quite small and doesn't seem more than half full. I went for the black in the end. There response just doesnt make sense:

Me: My discs have rusted after 2 months
MTEC: Can't guarantee protection indefinitely
Me: How long should it last
MTEC: 2-3 years
Me: Mines lasted less than 2 months

Just goes round in circles.

When I need new front discs i'd only consider the black coating

I recieved my pot yesterday, its quite small and doesn't seem more than half full. I went for the black in the end. There response just doesnt make sense:

Ridiculous isn't it.

My fronts have been great in Silver, but I can understand your reservation - I think I'd go for black myself next time. Or not even bother than just grab a pot of Hammerite paint.

Clare (from MTEC) didn't give me the option of black or silver, just dispatched silver after I said yes to having some paint :worried:

When I need new front discs I won't be considering MTEC. Call me harsh, but when I see bad customer service like this it puts me off a company completely I'm afraid.

I had a recent experience with a company, whom I had to chase 2 weeks after saying an item would be posted next day. After them insisting it had been posted and they "would check", funnily enough it appeared with me the next day. I've now gone elsewhere with my business, which amounts to a good few hundred pounds.
Companies who won't admit to mistakes should be avoided in my opinion, as you have to wonder what else they're not telling you.

I hope you both get your issues resolved.

Not very good tbh. Could have easily avoided this hassle with even something like a £10 refund and an apology, enough to buy a tin of hammerite!

I pretty much agree with what has already been said. I know the aim of a business is to make money, but if it were my business, I'd send out new discs and pads as well as making sure it doesn't happen again. For those who want to buy discs from elsewhere, there are companies that zinc coat discs such as: http://www.swsmetaltreatments.co.uk/services/zinc.html

It's a shame to read such bad feedback about MTEC as there are a lot of us on here who have bought discs from them in the past and would be likely to again. In this case though I think the criticism is justified.

I agree that they haven't done a great deal to help out - sending out some paint is a bit of an admission of guilt imo.

To balance the argument though, I've had some of their front discs (unpainted) on my car for about 18months now and I am very happy with them. I would buy from them again but would not bother with the paint option next time either.