mot failure

My car is at renault at the moment for the dreaded gear box crunching while in there it needed an mot now they have said it has failed on the near side stub and support they are quoting ne £780 to sort the problem. I have done a search on here and am I correct in thinking that the stub can be sorted by changing the ball joints? And also what is the support? I have tryed to google the part but nothing is coming up.

Stub Axle maybe? Sounds like they're either making words up or you've misquoted them...

Ok so I have just been down to renault for a print out and its the hub assembly ball join so far the total bill is up to £3, 750.58 :-o

Ok so I have just been down to renault for a print out and its the hub assembly ball join so far the total bill is up to £3, 750.58 :-o

sounds like the usual fit everything rather than repair/replace what is actually worn....£3.7k quite frankly is ripping the piss out of the customer!!!!!

Does that indicate that Ferodo DS1.11 or Carbonne Lorraine pads are recommended? I'm assuming this diagram is for the cup cars as apposed to factory road cars in that respect?

it is - just used it as a guide for the op...

3.7K, for WHAT?! You could almost buy another 197 for that these days! Or at least the front half of one...

Its an 09 plate 200 they are saying it needs:
4 nee tyres £95 each
Front pads and disks £460
Ball joint assembly £740
And new gearbox £2171
I have spoke to renault uk about the gear box thats the main reason the car went in to renault but the mot was due at the same time. Just seems to be a money pit lately :-(

you have dropped in to the "mot" trap - should have had a service and pre-mot before going in...

tyres can be sorted via other suppliers

same for pads and discs - shop around and you could half that quote

the ball joints can be obtained separately from r-sport - have a look/search theres loads of info - both ball joint are about £100!

gearbox - ebay renault place has them for £400...

Yeah im just goin to get the car back and do the work. They are sayin you cant just replace the ball joints even tho I told them that I have seen that you could.

think this gearbox issue is pathetic on alot of 197/200 obviously its a piss poor box yet all ruk do is contribute a percentage to the cost, they should be sorting it FOC as a hell of a lot of clios have an issue, hope you find a cheaper alternative than those ridiculous prices

Well I have spoke to renault sport and I can get the ball joints from them so that will ve a huge saving and I can get some toyo's fitted for less then renault want for tyres so all looks well