Milage thread

Jordanfaf

Winner - POTM November 2017, January 2018
Probably already a few of these type threads on here, sorry if so.

Just curious of peoples milages and what parts they have changed to keep the car going strong.

Im on 125,000 kms (77,000 mls)
Nothing changed under my ownership but usual timing and aux belts done and standard maintanace from Renault by previous owner.

Clutch will be done by me soon

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

2008 Clio / 8 years old / 66,500 Miles

Upkeep;

- Powerflex Engine Mounts (did these as soon as picked the car up, ~54K miles)
- New Discs and Pads (MTEC / Brembo)
- New Clutch and Slave going in (today! due to release bearing squeal that developed a couple of weeks ago)
- Gearbox Oil changed (just preventative measure, no actual issue)

Things that probably need doing but I haven't got round to yet;

- Lower ball joint on the front NS
- Exhaust hangers (getting the odd knock on lift off at the NS rear, fairly sure it'll just be heatshield/exhaust mounts)

07-plate 197, 86k miles, although soon to be 29k. Aside from the usual upkeep (brakes, tyres and service-related items), the only things I've had to replace are the rear calipers and both ball joints.

61 plate 200 at 28k miles.

Both ball joints,
Wiper mechanism,
Rear brake pads seized,
Broken air con (not gonna bother ever fixing it),
Scuttle panel drain holes blocked,
Previously had a crunch box but it's somehow gotten better,
Full belt service,
Oil change every 6k,
Gear Box oil (fuchs titan)
Spark plugs,
Cabin filter,
Wipers front and back.

I think that's it so far,the rest are mods which can be found in my project thread.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My 200 is my daily driver! Got it in December at 52k and its on 62k now! Bar new tyres as the old ones were budget ones, its only cost me a service!

07 plate FF 197 on circa 71,000 miles. Owned from new.

Quite a cathartic process writing all this down. On top of standard service schedule, it has had the following:

- New windscreen wiper mechanism due to original one seizing up (water ingress?). Not fun on a rainy day when your wipers are stuck half way up the windscreen!

- New battery. Died at just under 8 years old. Replaced.

- Radio stops working in cold weather, but causes the screen to stay on draining the battery and finishing it off as per above. Happened again this winter so removed the radio and left it in the house for a couple of weeks until the weather warmed up, but not before it drained the battery whilst I was on holiday and had to use the emergency key to get in and get the car jump started.

- 2nd speed setting for the fan doesn't work anymore. Can't be bothered to fix at present, just use 3 instead until that wears out as well.

- Replaced passenger side door handle as button to lock it stopped working. Can't remember if I also had to replace the drivers side at some point.

- bleed nipples on front brake callipers seized.

- front brake pins seized in callipers so had to be drilled out.

- Thermostat replaced due coolant leak.

- Steering wheel has 'melted' again. Need to get this (2nd one) retrimmed.

- Manifold replaced due to flexi joints wearing.

- Engine mount replaced due to causing the above issue with manifold.

- Two oil leaks. One from crank seal.

- Replaced handbrake cables.

- Replaced front cross member as original was so rotten couldn't fix the undertray to it! Looked like it had come off a car that had been parked in the sea...

- Air con doesn't work.

- Replaced cracked O/S front spring.

- Track rods ends replaced. Car wandering all over the road.

- Blown a few headlight bulbs which are pig to change.

I think that's about it, although I'm sure there will be some other stuff I've forgotten about.

Car has FSH. On 2nd set of front discs, 3rd set of front pads and 3rd set of rear discs / pads.

07 plate FF 197 on circa 71,000 miles. Owned from new.

Quite a cathartic process writing all this down. On top of standard service schedule, it has had the following:

- New windscreen wiper mechanism due to original one seizing up (water ingress?). Not fun on a rainy day when your wipers are stuck half way up the windscreen!

- New battery. Died at just under 8 years old. Replaced.

- Radio stops working in cold weather, but causes the screen to stay on draining the battery and finishing it off as per above. Happened again this winter so removed the radio and left it in the house for a couple of weeks until the weather warmed up, but not before it drained the battery whilst I was on holiday and had to use the emergency key to get in and get the car jump started.

- 2nd speed setting for the fan doesn't work anymore. Can't be bothered to fix at present, just use 3 instead until that wears out as well.

- Replaced passenger side door handle as button to lock it stopped working. Can't remember if I also had to replace the drivers side at some point.

- bleed nipples on front brake callipers seized.

- front brake pins seized in callipers so had to be drilled out.

- Thermostat replaced due coolant leak.

- Steering wheel has 'melted' again. Need to get this (2nd one) retrimmed.

- Manifold replaced due to flexi joints wearing.

- Engine mount replaced due to causing the above issue with manifold.

- Two oil leaks. One from crank seal.

- Replaced handbrake cables.

- Replaced front cross member as original was so rotten couldn't fix the undertray to it! Looked like it had come off a car that had been parked in the sea...

- Air con doesn't work.

- Replaced cracked O/S front spring.

- Track rods ends replaced. Car wandering all over the road.

- Blown a few headlight bulbs which are pig to change.

I think that's about it, although I'm sure there will be some other stuff I've forgotten about.

Car has FSH. On 2nd set of front discs, 3rd set of front pads and 3rd set of rear discs / pads.

Brilliant, love the fact you have had it from new! Get a progress thread up

56 plate clio 197 on 82,967 miles got it at 46,834 January 16th 2012. It got new pads and discs all round and 2 budget tyre on rear , 1 stabiliser drop link arm and full timing belt kit , 2 weeks later got a brand new exhaust manifold fitted as part of 2 months warranty . 1 half year later brand new gearbox and slave cylinder. 2 hub carrier all part of auto care. I have replaced both front rear pads + drilled out o/s/f caliper pins . S/f cooksport lower springs, n/s/r caliper , 2 rear handbrake cables. 2 inner front track rods +nsf track rod end all powerflex engine mounts and bottom mount gearbox. Bought recaro front seats and fitted miltek resonated exhaust. C out 2 services and s/f spark plugs. Only do around 3000 miles a year due to having a 172 cup and a works van too. No plans to get rid of it tho. Brilliant wee car.

I had a 2006 which was 7k when I bought it in 2008, when I sold the car it was close 100k, during my time with it I did the standard brake servicing, renault servicing, cambelt done at the dealer, hub carrier joints replaced twice, first time did both at 50k km together with discs, pads and cambelt at once so that did hurt a bit :smile: other than that there was the faulty xenon sensor replaced twice as well, the xenon headlights were gone by the time I sold it, the clutch was still strong when I was selling the car, also the wishbones did not need replacing at that time yet, broke the top mount once and had that replaced but very early in my ownership and upgraded to cup shocks with eibachs at some point when the standard shock absorbers started feeling soft. Overall was very pleased with the car and its reliability, no gearbox issues as well.

The second 197 I have currently is a 2008 R27, currently on 25k miles, so pretty low, still on factory brake pads and all suspension parts, so do feel like it will need some work in the fall or next spring. No problems with it so far since I bought it 9 months ago at 15k miles, no complaints, love the car and does feel a bit quicker than the previous one, maybe thats down to the engine being a lot younger in mileage.

"Normal" stuff here (And to be fair - i didn't do enough homework before buying a 200). All the info and buying guides on standard problems is out there / on here and easily found. However - its safe to say these arent the cheapest cars ever to run for many........

So: Cracked manifold, [I then decided to renew with stainless manifold and full stainless system along with a remap.
Along with that came Powerflex engine and gearbox mounts to protect the investment !

Brake service, along with new rear discs and pads.

One tyre really needed on purchase - but i bought a pair and had the wheels powder-coated at the same time.

New heavy-duty drop-links along with genuine Renault anti-torsion bars sorted the knocking at the front.

Along with the obligatory full-service,plugs, cabin filter etc etc and panel filter (As although it had supposedly been done by supplying garage - im pretty untrustworthy).

Along with other smaller bits and pieces. Some needed....some i chose to have.

Adds up to a quick £3k ontop of my purchase price in just under 4 months of ownership.

Have i been "unlucky" ?.....maybe. Have i now cracked the worst of the problems; and it should now be cheaper to run in the near future ? ......maybe.

BUT - this thing does make me smile everytime i open the garage door, and more so when i drive it.

Leads up to the fact i shall definately be buying a cheaper daily before the ****e weather sets in, and use the Clio as a weekender.

Last edited:
07 plate 197 - 45,000 miles. Changed the front springs and anti-rotation links, fan belt and tires. That's it pretty much.

Mines a mid 2007 197 on ~63,500 miles.

The things I've done on the car so far (owned since October 2015)...
-Oil and filter service using genuine parts, cleaned the K&N panel filter
-Cam belt kit, aux belt kit, water pump and dephaser pulley - didn't really need doing but there was no proper history of it so did it for peace of mind as I intend to keep the car long term
-Two new front tyres
-Both pivot/ball joints were knackered but luckily this was covered under a used car warranty I got with the car, otherwise I'd have been a bit annoyed as they aren't the cheapest or easiest thing to change
-ABS sensor
-Thermostat as the factory one was sticking open so the car struggled to warm up
-A rear caliper was sticking, luckily they just needed a good clean up and re-greasing of the pins to solve
-*New front springs, this was done before I got the car as I've an invoice for it in the documentation. Failed an old MOT on a snapped front spring!

Upcoming jobs...
-Change the gearbox oil
-Clean/service the front brakes and replace the pins
-Flush the brake fluid and bleed the brakes/clutch
-Get the tracking done as it feels slightly out after the ball joint change
-Attempt the indicator stalk fix as my full beam sometimes goes off when I touch the stalk and on the other side my wipers can have a mind of their own

Luckily I'm quite handy at doing a lot of things DIY so it's not cost me a huge amount so far this car, bar the cam belt change, but that wasn't too bad in fairness as I got the lot done for under £500. Hopefully nothing major will go wrong, the engine feels solid and pulls well with no funny noises. Few rattles here and there but I can live with that.

In honesty though for the sort of mileage I was shocked the ball joints were as bad as they were, an obvious design flaw! I've had cars on far higher mileage in the past where the suspension components are all pretty much factory and still fairly tight. Must be a Renault thing!