Michelin pilot cup 2's....

The car behaves nicely, though. Onboard with Cup 2s. The car in front was using Federal semislicks and had a Quaife LSD, as well as a Milltek exhaust, air filter, remap, strut bars, 330 mm brakes.... Mine only had H&R lowering springs, an Akrapovic and DS2500 pads.

Reactions: peter
I have also used the Cup 2's. At first I had 225/45, but they were rubbing on the bodywork (I have lowering springs) and now I have 215/45. They are good tyres overall, which was what I was looking for, since I also use the Clio on the road. The grip is awesome but I was a bit disappointed with wear. As said above, I also experienced a huge degradation of the first row of tread blocks (first one from the outer tyre shoulder). One track day and it is completely gone. It's probably a problem of geometry; in my opinion the car needs more negative camber. I'll probably buy some camber plates for the Clio later when I buy another daily. I've never tried another semislick, so I cannot compare. Below is how they looked after two track days.

View attachment 16228 View attachment 16229

yup. same wear as on mine. though yours look even worse.

@Pina13jpc @peter what tyre pressures were you running?

michelin suggested 2.5 bar (36.26 psi) warm front and rear. but the clio was all over the place when i tried that. then i worked my way down to 2.1 bar (30.46 psi) warm front and 1.9 bar (27.56 psi) warm rear. clio felt much better with those pressures.

what i should have done is messure tyre temps, but never got round to that. there was blueish shine on the outside shoulder, so i must have overheated them quite a bit.

michelin suggested 2.5 bar (36.26 psi) warm front and rear. but the clio was all over the place when i tried that. then i worked my way down to 2.1 bar (30.46 psi) warm front and 1.9 bar (27.56 psi) warm rear. clio felt much better with those pressures.

what i should have done is messure tyre temps, but never got round to that. there was blueish shine on the outside shoulder, so i must have overheated them quite a bit.
It's interesting that Michelin recommended 2.5bar, as to me that's a tad excessive!!
I take it you were getting oversteer and understeer then?

I have tried many pressures when cold, from 1.8 to 2.3, and found the car to behave better when using 2.1 cold. Specially in Algarve, because it's a track where tyres work better with higher pressures.

Std pressure on my 220t on Michelin Supersports F 2.3 bar R 2.0 Bar /Cold

do you guys measure when the tyres are warm? i've found that when i start at 2.1 cold, pressures in the cup 2's quickly rise to 2.5-2.6.

do you guys measure when the tyres are warm? i've found that when i start at 2.1 cold, pressures in the cup 2's quickly rise to 2.5-2.6.
You should measure pressures when the tyres are warm and adjust them accordingly. You should also measure the temperature across the tread face to see if any setup adjustments are required.

You should measure pressures when the tyres are warm and adjust them accordingly. You should also measure the temperature across the tread face to see if any setup adjustments are required.

yup. i know. that's why i'm surprised to see cold pressure values being posted.

I think Michelin know's the failure mode that happened to Peter's Michelin and therefore they recommend these high pressure values to reduce the load from the tyre's shoulder.
The crack of the humb is often seen with cup's on the ring.

Here's a screenshot of the Michelin recommendations for the cup 2 tyre pressures if anyone's interested. IMG_3206.PNGI noticed that at the very bottom it mentions the megane Rs too, so no doubt the mk3.
I'll be getting 4 of these and giving them a go I think.