Melting steering wheel update

Rather than start a new thread thought I would keep all the information into one area.

Mine just started to melt at 3 O'Clock, seeing as the car is 5 years old in September and only covered 20,000 miles I decided to give RUK a call to see if they would help with a replacement.

Well I just got a call back from them today and was very surprised to hear them offering 80% leaving me to pay £51.

I did not deal with RUK myself as I way busy with work but I was told they were very polite and friendly, phoned back when they said they would and did not try to wriggle out of anything.

P1010808_zps9812150c.gif

Rather than start a new thread thought I would keep all the information into one area.

Mine just started to melt at 3 O'Clock, seeing as the car is 5 years old in September and only covered 20,000 miles I decided to give RUK a call to see if they would help with a replacement.

Well I just got a call back from them today and was very surprised to hear them offering 80% leaving me to pay £51.

I did not deal with RUK myself as I way busy with work but I was told they were very polite and friendly, phoned back when they said they would and did not try to wriggle out of anything.

P1010808_zps9812150c.gif

exactly how mine has worn :nope:

Well another update on my third wheel in 7 yrs.No3 has been on the car for about 2 yr the car has done about 4k and its already showing its going to perish again.I will phone RUK to see what they say this time.Prob be all the rain we've had :wink:

Do you think its the sun that's doing the damage? I had a new wheel put on just before I picked up my car as it was still under warranty. I've had the car almost 4 years now and done 19k miles and it is as good as new.

Saying that I am a bit OCD and cover the wheel with a white t-shirt whenever it is hot and I am not using the car.

Mine didn't start melting until about 5 years old and 65k miles. I actually noticed mine started to melt after one long journey. I think it's a combination of sweat/dirt on your hands getting into the material through the holes in the wheel. As you hold the wheel on each side, gravity dictates that your hands will be applying a downward force. As the sweat from your hands reacts with/mixes with the glue under the cover, your warm hands stretch the coating down effectively pulling it away from the wheel.

This may have been stated earlier in the thread but I haven't read it all.

Marv we have a large MF towel that's put over it daily plus when its this hot it has a silver windshield reflector in the car.

Mine just melted this morning in the sun :'(
I had put newspaper over the wheel but a small quarter was showing. After about 2 hours came back to find it had been in direct sunlight and had gone from ok to melted. Being an '07 with 60000 I'm guessing RUK wont be interested...

Worth a try.It should not be happening.If no joy get one of Karl

As Royston says its worth a try, RUK know its a fault so they may contribute something.

On another note its good to see you back Roy, although in your absence I've been working hard to close the post count gap, I guess now you're back I've no chance :rofl:

Mines melting again, two years after it was replaced, and that's with me being extremely careful with it, I'm not changing it now the clio is going, otherwise I'd be straight on to RUK and I'd go mad as its ppathetic really that they don't even last a year or two let alone 5!!

As Royston says its worth a try, RUK know its a fault so they may contribute something.

On another note its good to see you back Roy, although in your absence I've been working hard to close the post count gap, I guess now you're back I've no chance :rofl:

Haha you will have a chance.Thanks mate Ive missed you all :worried:

Digging this thread up as I have a melting steering wheel in my 200, car is August 2010 and only covered 20k miles. I have used the email address provided in this thread and will be ringing Renault later today.

I have about 18 days left of my warranty but I will be extending it anyway.

Anyone else currently have a melting steering wheel, it would be good if you also contacted them now too.

Will let you know my outcome.

Mine is pretty minor at the moment I admit, but lets face it, it will only get worse so I have put the complaint into Renault and waiting to hear back from them. My warranty expires on 26th August but I will be extending it anyway.

You should go ahead and email or phone them.

Has anyone ever asked Renault if they'd pay to get it retrimmed?

Going to be more cost effective in the long run.

Mine is pretty minor at the moment I admit, but lets face it, it will only get worse so I have put the complaint into Renault and waiting to hear back from them. My warranty expires on 26th August but I will be extending it anyway.

You should go ahead and email or phone them.
it gets worse fast