Megane 225 track car - more goodies

Well I thought I'd best put a little project thread up for the car that replaces my Clio 197 Cup. Knowing what I know now about the Megane engine conversions I would have never sold the thing but hey ho.

Now this is a budget project thread as we are saving for our wedding and to get on the property ladder.

So the basic rule of thumb for this will be simple mods when and if I can afford them and replace anything which breaks with good quality.

Some pics and the spec when I got it...

• 2004 Megane 225 (279bhp)
  • 68k Miles
  • K Tec Hybrid
  • K Tec FMIC
  • K-Tec Black 2 Piece Grooved Discs with DS2500 pads, Grooved Rears with Yellow Stuff Pads with ATE Blue fluid
  • Milltek Exhaust
  • KW V3 Coilovers
  • Fedral RS-R tyres 235/40/18

fdc461e4.jpg
b27af120.jpg
f17acda4.jpg
0b6cf8f3.jpg
99324ab6.jpg
5238352b.jpg

A wee video of the noise :evil:

[YOUTUBE]U4tdz1T4qnU[/YOUTUBE]

http://youtu.be/U4tdz1T4qnU

First track session at Knockhill went well but the brakes weren't up to the standard I was used to from the Clio. There seemed to be a bit of judder which I initially thought was me warping the discs :worried: Turns out it was pad deposits which seemed to take ages to clean off.

So first on my list was...

• Godspeed 330mm front disc kit
  • DS2500 pads and calliper pins (front)
  • Standard Rears Discs & Pads
  • KTR/HEL Brake Lines
  • Motul RBF 600 Fluid
  • Black Hammerite for the callipers as the red just didn't seem rite.

I dont have any pictures of these but they're a massive improvement and haven't faded on me yet.

Now I Know i said I would be buying unnecessary stuff but some R26 wheels came up at a good price and I needed new tyres anyways so I took the plunge and bought them.

The Federals where a good tyre and coped really well with the power and torque but i wanted a more track bias tyre. I opted for the Kumho V70a, i was initially impressed with the price until the arrived with only 4mm from new...:w00t:

IMG_0625_zps577eb1eb.jpg
IMG_0624_zps50505268.jpg
IMG_0628_zpsdb560b73.jpg
IMG_0626_zps4c1437f7.jpg

Next move through total boredom was to strip out the interior...All im left with now is a headlining, dashboard etc, front door cards and standard front seats. Sounds really evil inside now :evil: again no pics yet as it looks a bit daft with standard seats :lol:

I then had a go at a custom intake that was becoming a popular discussion on meganesport due to the price of the ITG Induction kit so I bought all the parts necessary and fitted it. This isnt my car but pics borrowed from meganesport (my hoses are black)

IMG_0679_zpsaec7f792.jpg
IMG_0678_zps6c3678cd.jpg

After a few good track sessions it started to show a tiny sign of its age and lack of regular use, the live battery terminal was given me stick now and then. It was secured properly but look worse for wear and started to need a good dunt to waken it up.

Sadly this reared it ugly head along with another problem at Knockhill...

Story goes,

Jump in ready to go our for one last run and then a loud clicking noise as i washing the start button. So I'm thinking i really need to change this live terminal...I pull on the bonnet release in the footwell and its tight the really loose...bonnet cables snapped and we cant get the bonnet open to start the thing :blush:hmy: Luckily Lisa has perks of working for a bank and the RAC guy comes out to help (once weve pushed the car out the gate before we get locked in for the night :lol:smile: 45mins later and its running but the bonnet wont open. So I get it home and drop it off at my mates garage.

Next purchase, Aero Catches. Fitted and the old lock etc. removed. I love the look its has from the front now, they make it look more aggressive and purposeful imo

0a0f6cb7.jpg
1428dc7b.jpg
0073f571.jpg
938165d4.jpg

Tyres are now in need of replacing and I've opted for Yokohama AD08 ( 225/40/18 ) as I cant be doing with another ear bashing over the cost of tyres :lol:

Last edited:
cool.

looks good and decent spec.

Any plans for the stripped interior? Cage? buckets?

You won't be disappointed over the the tyres, nice project it does sound very naughty.

Are those Godspeed discs 1 or 2 piece? Been looking at what they do for the Clio as it should be identical afaik. Other than lack of fase do you find it stops better too?

cool.

looks good and decent spec.

Any plans for the stripped interior? Cage? buckets?

Im going to get bucket seats and harnesses and eventually the Oreca cage for it too.

I need to make up some front door cards first though unless Fernadez starts doing megane kit :smile:

You won't be disappointed over the the tyres, nice project it does sound very naughty.

Are those Godspeed discs 1 or 2 piece? Been looking at what they do for the Clio as it should be identical afaik. Other than lack of fase do you find it stops better too?

It sounds brilliant under load and apparently spits flames but sadly i cant see them :worried:

The discs should fit the Clio no bother and they're two piece discs. It stops so much better compared to when I got it. Im going to try a more aggressive pad once the DS2500 have worn out as I rarely use it on the road.

Link to the discs...

http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/~godspeed/product.php?id_product=128

My seats arrived on Tuesday, nice bargain imo on meganesport

On Friday I ordered K-Tec sub-frames and one cobra slider for the drivers seat. They should be here on Monday.

IMG_0845_zpsdccdde26.jpg
IMG_0846_zpsfe6fbf28.jpg
IMG_0847_zps54aaac97.jpg

Nice snug fit, cant wait to get them in.

Well the cars now sorted and ready for the last trackday ill be doing this year. Its hardly turned a wheel for two months and needs a wash but ill wait till after Knockhill next Sunday.

DSC_0607.jpg
DSC_0608.jpg

A decent pic of the Godspeed 330mm kit, they discolour into a nice copper colour.

DSC_0609.jpg

And some of the interior as it sits just now. I've still got some tar to attack with the heat gun but its far too cold to be doing that this time of year and front door cards to have made up.

DSC_0610.jpg
DSC_0612.jpg

Thank N0ddie

Im not sure on the lap times mate, my dad had timed it at a 63sec the first time i was up with it but I've not had a look now I'm more used to it. Im going to buy the harrys lap timer app and give that a go.

Ill need to get some R888's or A048's some time next year instead of the more road focused tyres.

Looking very nice Mark, love the seats and the aero catches, thinking about fitting some to my bonnet.

Can sort you some door cards, I'll PM you Monday with details mate.

Thank N0ddie

Im not sure on the lap times mate, my dad had timed it at a 63sec the first time i was up with it but I've not had a look now I'm more used to it. Im going to buy the harrys lap timer app and give that a go.

Ill need to get some R888's or A048's some time next year instead of the more road focused tyres.

So in its as found guise it's 4 seconds a lap faster than our 200. Should be a good 1-2 seconds even quicker now?

Looking very nice Mark, love the seats and the aero catches, thinking about fitting some to my bonnet.

Can sort you some door cards, I'll PM you Monday with details mate.

Nice one, I was going to PM you and see if you had any plans for them.

So in its as found guise it's 4 seconds a lap faster than our 200. Should be a good 1-2 seconds even quicker now?

I doubt it'll get near a 62 sec lap. Just dawned on me that the 63sec was reverse direction so itll be slower the normal way round. Im not really to fussed on times, it handles great in the corners and has that extra grunt the Clio was lacking. Yours will be brilliant if you go for the meg conversion.:thumbup1:

Last edited:
Well I've just bought another set of wheels and tyres for the Megane.

Clio 17's with Michelin Slick's.
They clear the callaipers and 330mm discs, theres even enough room for the wheel weight !

Sorry for the poor iPhone pics, ill hopefully have better pics on track.

IMG_0978_zps5b564aa2.jpg
IMG_0980_zpsc51eba18.jpg
IMG_0981_zpse4d3bd52.jpg