LY200 - too loud or blow up again, taking bets!

Had a bit of a set to today...

As always excuse the shit photos from my still broken mobile! Buying car parts has stopped me from getting around to replacing it :flushed:

IMAG0766.jpg

IMAG0767.jpg

And my "ingenious" (or lack of a better option!) way of keeping some tension on the carbon whilst the Tiger Seal dries

IMAG0770.jpg

Hopefully get it installed tomorrow and a half decent pic to ensue.

edit: And this new forum is really getting on my goat the way you can't change or edit posts after a short time. Can a mod just change my main subject to 'TB Rich LY200' , cheers :smile:

Reactions: ///M
Sweet!

I might have to copy you on that mate as people are asking silly prices to dress my bespoke 3 gauge dash with alcantara. There is no way I'm paying £160 for something I paid £60 a couple of years ago...

Had a bit of a set to today...

As always excuse the shit photos from my still broken mobile! Buying car parts has stopped me from getting around to replacing it :flushed:

IMAG0766.jpg

IMAG0767.jpg

And my "ingenious" (or lack of a better option!) way of keeping some tension on the carbon whilst the Tiger Seal dries

IMAG0770.jpg

Hopefully get it installed tomorrow and a half decent pic to ensue.

edit: And this new forum is really getting on my goat the way you can't change or edit posts after a short time. Can a mod just change my main subject to 'TB Rich LY200' , cheers :smile:

Just edited your account settings. Now you can edit Indefintely.

Reactions: TB Rich
Sweet!

I might have to copy you on that mate as people are asking silly prices to dress my bespoke 3 gauge dash with alcantara. There is no way I'm paying £160 for something I paid £60 a couple of years ago...

Annoyingly you can't fit 3 gauges across it, unless you were to trim into the main edges - could probably do it but I reckon I'd personally make a fist of it! It's about 150mm visible width, and I guess the average 52mm gauge has an outer bezel size of what 56-58mm - so you'd probably loose the seat belt warning bit on the side too once you'd clearanced the edges. I reckon it could all end up looking a bit gash unless you were so neat that the clearancing contoured with the gauge perfectly :\

Which is a shame as I was thinking of changing the dual SPA one for separate AEM oil temp and pressures to do the 0-5v ECU feeds. However the only one important to feed the ECU is the wideband, so I guess now I'll keep it as it is with 2 gauges, and maybe change the SPA one for the newer SPA Signature range. Purely as a cosmetic thing as it'll match the AEM better than the current white face'd one I have.

Reactions: Yiannis197
I've found a problem with the AEM's 0-5v output, they don't have a sensor ground. If you don't ground the main ground at the same ground the ecu is tied to you will get fluxtuating results unfortunately. That's the only bad thing i have to say about the AEM as i've been running it for years just reading of the gauge and it's fine for that!

I've found a problem with the AEM's 0-5v output, they don't have a sensor ground. If you don't ground the main ground at the same ground the ecu is tied to you will get fluxtuating results unfortunately. That's the only bad thing i have to say about the AEM as i've been running it for years just reading of the gauge and it's fine for that!

The old ones didn't, the new X-Series do :smile: These ones are the fastest on the market and entirely digital now too.
x-wiring.jpg

Sweet!

Yianni, get Diz to 3D print one for you. Then it just needs painting or trimming.

Reactions: Yiannis197
Interior done, and sensor wire routed through the bulkhead grommet, so probably about 30mins work left to jack it up and replace the oem narrowband.

Mammoth amount of work to actually get this far though, had a significant amount of the dash apart to make sure everything was all routed and wrapped nicely etc. Which basically means only 1 thing...........bound to be more rattles!! :sob:

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

Oh and need to make a carbon blank for radio!

Looks trick to me buddy !

Well done on the wiring. Rather you than me.............

Pleased with how its turned out ?

yeah wiring was easy, and for me to say that then it really must be!!

The gauges just need a switched live and an earth. There is a decent earth behind the stereo and I've used 2 fuse-taps for the lives - the AEM is on the Cig lighter fuse, the SPA I forget which I've used but it works and has done for a year now! Then just a case of using some Tesa loom tape in places and heat shrink on the crimps etc, even though you can't see it, it would drive me scatty if I knew I'd left a shit storm behind the dash!! Also basically just make sure the obvious stuff like it's routed properly and nothing is overly taught.
I tried to start it up and it wouldn't, thought ah shit what have I done..... then I remembered the ECU was in the kitchen lol!

Wiring the sensors is easy too, it's simpe plug and play. The gauge's each have a sensor loom (the AEM actually physically separate, the SPA shares the same molex block but separate cables), so literally no wiring to do there. Just got to get them through the bulkhead grommet, which is actually a massive pain because you need to de-pin the plugs to do so, and of course it's bloody tight. However I did it in about 5mins this time now I've perfected the technique... the SPA took me about a week on and off :tearsofjoy: - and of course finally route it all in the bay etc.

Yeah looks pretty decent to be fair, to be honest I'm not a huge fan of gauges but needs must and I think this was the best I could do realistically. Once the carbon radio blank is in and a few little details I have in mind - should look a bit more cohesive. Plus I may swap the SPA for the SPA Signature (pic below) as it'll match better the AEM. Annogingly though despite being 52mm gauges, the AEM bezel is just bigger than the SPA's, and a little cheaper looking being shinny plastic......so if I did buy the SPA Signature, I'd try and find a way to swap the current SPA bezel onto the AEM :smile:
A double gauge in a single-din fascia plate would have been nice and discrete - but not even remotely close to eye level and as these are all functional pieces, that takes priority.

(I'd run it in white text, set red as warning).
S300.gif

Cheers, I was thinking just now if the bezels were painted the same gloss grey as the bits in the interior then it would have a more OEM feel to it. Could even do the whole satnav piece, but that might be a bit glossy and reflect the light a bit much being something that large on the dash top?

Don't think I'd do gloss on the dash top mate. Would grab the attention too much and could be a PITA reflecting in the window.

May look different in the flesh but looking at your photos it really does look properly integrated and OEM. Personally I wouldn't change it at all!

yeah be like the opposite of a flocked dash is my concern.

just about to muster the energy to go fit the wideband I think. and try and re-clip the centre dash panel in again as I think the panel gap around the side is bigger than before :\

Reactions: ///M
I very much like this Rich.

I do share your opinion, I simply hate aftermarket gauges with a passion and so disappointed the clio hasn't gone any (williams??).

btw I got mine more than a year ago and still haven't fitted them lol. Need to get the finger out

Some jobs just take so flipping long! This has become the worlds longest lambda install :tearsofjoy:

I can't get the current sensor undone whilst the car is on stands, so need to take it to the garage and put it on the 4 poster - 5mins job and probably free to beer money to sort.
However in order to get the car to the garage it needs to be put back together because I decided to swap the oil pressure sensor feed hose around. This is because the last place to do an oil swap left the hose pressed right against the knock sensor wiring which I wasn't happy with in case it wears through. However I dropped the only spanner I have that fits (JIC use imperial) and it was caught by the undertray, bugger :| Not the end of the world to remove the under-tray just a typical annoyance really, and I needed to remove the bumper anyway at some point because the last place to put the engine in left out the plastic header tank clip!

So things escalated from a lambda sensor to this!..IMAG0776.jpg
(Can see my new daily too, 206 HDi 2.0 - pretty ropey but it was shed money and does the job!)

IMAG0777.jpg
(Can't believe you have to remove the bumper to get to that clip!!!!! Air filters seen better days so order another too)

This has also given me much better access to the oil sandwich plate with the radiator housing removed. However the -4 JIC 90deg fitting has split :rage: Moral of the story - don't by cheap ass shit fittings off eBay. So time to order some more but proper quality!

Given it's hitting the weekend and it's new year, probably be looking at Wed's best case for new fittings. Then finding enough time and daylight to get it installed, bumper back on, taken to garage for sensor swap.... at least another week off the road :tearsofjoy:

Oh and to make it worse, the diffuser brackets sheared off, fairly common but bloody annoying! AND, my spring has snapped!!!!!!

IMAG0775.jpg

Ah well, excuse for some AST's I guess!

Last edited:
Hey - didn't realise that was you on fb with the spring-pic ! :smile:

What a freaking mallarky that's turned into. Doesnt that about sum-up these cars though ?

Good luck with that this week....hopefully it all clicks into place for you. Although at this time of year with holidays and no-post....simple things can indeed drag on.

****And i need a 'shed'. Jealous to be honest. Its car-parking here that the real problem if i did..........

Reactions: TB Rich

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cliosport-carl Spotted 0
Zeezal Projects/Progress Threads 7
tkoh12 Clios For Sale 0
CL10 PAZ Spotted 0
tkoh12 Spotted 0