LY200 - too loud or blow up again, taking bets!

Ahhh ffs, yep looks like the fronts are muddled up, rears are ok but I blame Dad as he passed them to me! lol
Cheers for pointing out though.

Anyway it is back together!! Fully done (well minus the geo and the vent). But what started as a lambda install turned out a little longer than planned :tearsofjoy:

I also covered the inlet pipe gold too as it was quicker and easier to do - as I was going to paint it gloss black hence why it was filled and sanded. Could do with changing that hose to an all black one now.

IMG_20170411_141732.jpg

IMG_20170411_151057.jpg

IMG_20170411_151120.jpg

Couple of shots of the radio and wideband install, feels nice and purposeful now without being a stripped track special. Really pleased with how oem looking the radio is too.
IMG_20170411_162905.jpg

IMG_20170411_162841.jpg

Lastly I changed the 206 daily the other day, needed something bigger and better on long journeys so went for a MkV Golf Estate, which sounds really bland(!) but it's a Sportline so has an R32 style grill, decent wheels and slightly lowered suspension too I believe! I think it looks pretty BA and it's sweet to drive, it's a TDI 140 with a DSG so will be sure to remap this one and possibly remap the DSG too.
IMG_20170411_151127.jpg

For the Clio though it's just geo (plus vent) and track day to try and break it again :coldsweat:

Cheers, I'm pleased with how it's turned out so far - little bit different to standard but subtle enough still.

Swapped the front wheels round (derp!) and took it for a drive, seemed like a little knock from the front px side - but with the solid top mounts some harshness I guess is to be expected.
I'll have it investigated when the alignment is done anyway, as I need to find a more motorsport type place to do it so they can also give it once over and vet that it's all installed ok and ready for abuse.

The bay looks ace Rich. Love it....unique for sure. I like that in itself :smile: Have you slightly polished your inlet manny ?

And the interior is really cool. Purposeful without being OTT. Enough creature comforts; but you ultimately know what it was made for.

And yea; head unit looks pretty OEM. Good choice that man ! Have you listened to it yet :smile:

Cheers, nope not been polished but did have a quick dusting of silver when it was fitted to freshen it up. Next job on the tinkering list is to mess around with the spare mani and TB etc, I was thinking of crackle black for that, but I kinda like the silver now.

Yeah I did put the radio on today quickly, need to have a fiddle when I'm not driving but it seems like it will do the job. I need to put a USB stick in it really though as FM is a poor test, but I would imagine you need to upgrade the speakers if you wanted a noticeable improvement in quality.

Not yet, but it does have a 5v output I can take to it. My plan is to have a couple of bulkhead connectors and move the ecu into the car, then at that point in time wire in the sensors to the ecu. It'll wait until the new fuel system is done as that way I can plumb in fuel pressure too, set up a bunch of safety nets on the ecu. Be lucky if it's this year I would have thought, few more things I want before then, like 120bhp/litre!!! :smilingimp:

Thanks to @Cliosport-carl for his time on the phone today, much appreciated mate. I set about adjusting the heights once again, managed all four corners in about an hour ish including tools out and tools packed up. Interesting way to spend a lunch hour :\

Anyway the whole car is up now slightly, wound the bottom collars on the fronts to add some pre-load and stop the springs flapping when at droop (mot failure too I believe). Then just matched the platform height left to right.
For the rears I set those on the very highest setting (again matched left/right) and that's given just about the right amount of rake eyeballing it. Basically looks exactly like stock just marginally lower now, about 20mm all-round because that's what Bilsteins are meant to give you when at their highest.
(So top tip if you want lows....don't fit Compbrake top mounts!)

Now as I'm not after lows it's worked out pretty perfect - but largely by fluke I feel, and there's certainly a voice inside me that says 'deck it'! However I have no sensible adjustment left in the setup given the front's can't actually come down without becoming loose.
I guess though because the car is marginally higher than I anticipated I'd be at, I def don't need to dick around with Cup Racer EE brackets etc to correct my roll centre and what not, because my wishbones, TRE's etc are still at good levels.

Also took the car for a quick spin after whilst doing my best impression of an F1 driver warming his tyres..and I couldn't hear any clunking like before. Needs a bit more of an extended drive I guess but fingers crossed all good now.

Not yet, but it does have a 5v output I can take to it. My plan is to have a couple of bulkhead connectors and move the ecu into the car, then at that point in time wire in the sensors to the ecu. It'll wait until the new fuel system is done as that way I can plumb in fuel pressure too, set up a bunch of safety nets on the ecu. Be lucky if it's this year I would have thought, few more things I want before then, like 120bhp/litre!!! :smilingimp:

Thanks to @Cliosport-carl for his time on the phone today, much appreciated mate. I set about adjusting the heights once again, managed all four corners in about an hour ish including tools out and tools packed up. Interesting way to spend a lunch hour :\

Anyway the whole car is up now slightly, wound the bottom collars on the fronts to add some pre-load and stop the springs flapping when at droop (mot failure too I believe). Then just matched the platform height left to right.
For the rears I set those on the very highest setting (again matched left/right) and that's given just about the right amount of rake eyeballing it. Basically looks exactly like stock just marginally lower now, about 20mm all-round because that's what Bilsteins are meant to give you when at their highest.
(So top tip if you want lows....don't fit Compbrake top mounts!)

Now as I'm not after lows it's worked out pretty perfect - but largely by fluke I feel, and there's certainly a voice inside me that says 'deck it'! However I have no sensible adjustment left in the setup given the front's can't actually come down without becoming loose.
I guess though because the car is marginally higher than I anticipated I'd be at, I def don't need to dick around with Cup Racer EE brackets etc to correct my roll centre and what not, because my wishbones, TRE's etc are still at good levels.

Also took the car for a quick spin after whilst doing my best impression of an F1 driver warming his tyres..and I couldn't hear any clunking like before. Needs a bit more of an extended drive I guess but fingers crossed all good now.
Glad to of helped buddy there is nothing worse than thinking all your hard work has gone to s*** due to a knock and as said on the pone if you want that little more you know where to find it

Reactions: TB Rich
Indeed cheers, it's a good idea to machine that insert down, but given the ballache to do it all again and my absolute itching to get it on track asap, I'll save that perhaps for if (when) the swivels go! Tbh the height it's at now is probably best for handling anyway if I have my sensible hat on!!
I'll be taking it for a blast tomorrow night as a shake down and if I am confident of no running issues then I'll book Snett straight after, and also get it over to the Wheel Alignment Centre in Southampton asap.
Snett's on the 26th which is my b'day and I've never been to Snett either :smile:

Thanks Yiannis, and I'm more than happy I went B14's now too - the amount I've been stressing and getting pissy with just setting the bloody ride height.........if I had adjustable damping to boot, I think I'd loose it completely!! :excited:

Just for your Info mate the compbrake top mounts are exactly the same thickness as the OEM
Top mounts they where based on. They where designed like that so it didn't effect the chassis height of the car if you are running them without adjustable suspension. I was originally running these on OEM cup dampers initially to test the change in ride height in practise. From
Experience a lot of coilovers actually need a short main spring and a helper spring to get the cars lowered properly without the spring dropping when the car is jacked up unless you are running progressive springs which seem to get away with it a little
More. I would have quoted your message mate but I'm typing this from my phone.

Just for your Info mate the compbrake top mounts are exactly the same thickness as the OEM
Top mounts they where based on. They where designed like that so it didn't effect the chassis height of the car if you are running them without adjustable suspension. I was originally running these on OEM cup dampers initially to test the change in ride height in practise. From
Experience a lot of coilovers actually need a short main spring and a helper spring to get the cars lowered properly without the spring dropping when the car is jacked up unless you are running progressive springs which seem to get away with it a little
More. I would have quoted your message mate but I'm typing this from my phone.

With the b14s though you can't run them low due to how the shock tube is and how the top mounts are set up there is a good 20mm difference in where the two mounts sit.

Not sure Tom, I'm looking at pics now of these and the Simo top mounts, AST & KW. The others all have what looks like noticeably deeper top hats.
Which I guess then that when you have the spring platform wound down, because the top hats are deeper they take up the space and stop the springs being loose? Tbh it's confusing me presently as I've been looking so much!

photo-2.jpg
ju8egh_zps3deeb8c9.jpg

Correctorder4.jpg

Not sure Tom, I'm looking at pics now of these and the Simo top mounts, AST & KW. The others all have what looks like noticeably deeper top hats.
Which I guess then that when you have the spring platform wound down, because the top hats are deeper they take up the space and stop the springs being loose? Tbh it's confusing me presently as I've been looking so much!

photo-2.jpg
ju8egh_zps3deeb8c9.jpg

Correctorder4.jpg

Having the deeper top mounts like the images shown will not lower the ride height, if you did a back to back comparison of two mounts, the deeper one will actually lift the car up. If anything the top mounts needs to be thinner if you want to lower the car, I get what you're trying to say about a deeper mount would take up the slack. But what really happens is you are just lowering the spring seats lower down the threads to compensate for the taller top mounts giving no change in ride height. Where in fact by the sound of it you are limited by the free length vs spring weight of the spring supplied with the coilovers. I had it recently on a car I fitted top mounts and coilovers too. We swapped them out for a shorter spring and a helper spring to compensate for the drop in the spring to enable it to be lowered further. Hope that makes sense and is helpful :smile:

Looks absolutely fantastic Rich. I really like the red edge on the blade and how it's tied in with the red decals.

Amazing thorough geekery in this thread. Genuine education.

Having the deeper top mounts like the images shown will not lower the ride height, if you did a back to back comparison of two mounts, the deeper one will actually lift the car up. If anything the top mounts needs to be thinner if you want to lower the car, I get what you're trying to say about a deeper mount would take up the slack. But what really happens is you are just lowering the spring seats lower down the threads to compensate for the taller top mounts giving no change in ride height. Where in fact by the sound of it you are limited by the free length vs spring weight of the spring supplied with the coilovers. I had it recently on a car I fitted top mounts and coilovers too. We swapped them out for a shorter spring and a helper spring to compensate for the drop in the spring to enable it to be lowered further. Hope that makes sense and is helpful :smile:

I'm not sure then! At any rate there is an issue with the compbrake mounts not allowing the full adjustment range of the B14's. I can not for one second believe that a TUV approved Bilstein kit would have a loose springs, this is surely why they give you a measurement range of only around 25mm on them. But we can not get anything beyond the top of this range without the springs being loose. I wouldn't actually care if it didn't then lead to clunks, which I certainly was hearing something when I went out, and Carl also had knocks when his was set low.
There has to be fundamentally something different between them and standard top mounts? I think as Carl said, the collar is stopping the shaft going further up through the hat?? But without having it all off the car again and along side the oem's, I can't be sure what's happening.

I didn't get chance to use it tonight, but it's bank hol tomorrow so will take it out then and as long as it's cured of the knock I had before then I'll leave as is. And given it's a 'sensible' height, it's probably the best overall setting because I'll still have lots of damper travel and decent wishbone angles.

Looks absolutely fantastic Rich. I really like the red edge on the blade and how it's tied in with the red decals.

Amazing thorough geekery in this thread. Genuine education.

Cheers, I'm kinda bored though of the red bit now as I've had it on just over 3 years, but trouble is everything I think of to replace it ends up being just a little OTT :|
But if I go for the Tilletts and cage then it affords a little more 'flexibility' on the whole thing! :wink:

I'm not sure then! At any rate there is an issue with the compbrake mounts not allowing the full adjustment range of the B14's. I can not for one second believe that a TUV approved Bilstein kit would have a loose springs, this is surely why they give you a measurement range of only around 25mm on them. But we can not get anything beyond the top of this range without the springs being loose. I wouldn't actually care if it didn't then lead to clunks, which I certainly was hearing something when I went out, and Carl also had knocks when his was set low.
There has to be fundamentally something different between them and standard top mounts? I think as Carl said, the collar is stopping the shaft going further up through the hat?? But without having it all off the car again and along side the oem's, I can't be sure what's happening.

I didn't get chance to use it tonight, but it's bank hol tomorrow so will take it out then and as long as it's cured of the knock I had before then I'll leave as is. And given it's a 'sensible' height, it's probably the best overall setting because I'll still have lots of damper travel and decent wishbone angles.

Cheers, I'm kinda bored though of the red bit now as I've had it on just over 3 years, but trouble is everything I think of to replace it ends up being just a little OTT :|
But if I go for the Tilletts and cage then it affords a little more 'flexibility' on the whole thing! :wink:

Definitely wouldn't wanna put words in your mouth mate but looking at your engine, you're not a man of half measures. If you turned that attention to the exterior and other parts of the car, I think that would be pretty fantastic.

Certainly don't see anything wrong with OTT. Most cars couldn't pull it off. This one could.

Reactions: TB Rich
sorry you were having troubles Rich..my mechanic set up my suspension the other day and we decided on having the set up a bit higher to my previous set up..there were no knocks or clunks but just in case..just a couple of pics of my set up atm:
IMG-20170412-WA0000.jpg IMG-20170412-WA0001.jpg IMG-20170412-WA0002.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ///M and TB Rich
Thanks Pav, appreciate the shots mate. That is about the ride height I am at on the front (and also Carl judging from his latest pics), however I would suggest that any lower on the spring perches is when you would likely experience the loose spring issue we have.

yeah may be the case but with me,I dont really wanna go any lower..no point here in Manchester where there is a speed bump at every 200 yards:poke:
think this height is ideal for me and an occasional track day..will give the suspension a bit more travel distance..
no worries..hope there arent any more surprises for you

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cliosport-carl Spotted 0
Zeezal Projects/Progress Threads 7
tkoh12 Clios For Sale 0
CL10 PAZ Spotted 0
tkoh12 Spotted 0