Loss of power when engine is hot

Dystant

Detailing Dale
Paid Member
So occasionally, usually after the car has been running 30+ mins or so, it feels like the car loses all of its urgency... I put my foot down and it just feels sluggish.

So few bits of info based on a few posts I've seen on here with suggestions as to what it could be:
  • Dephaser pulley was replaced not so long ago, so don't think it's a timing issue
  • MAP sensor has been sealed with some gasket sealant
  • Fuel im using is Tesco 99
  • Lambda sensor was recently replaced (heard there's 2? Not sure which one as was done just before I got the car)
Noticed that it improved a little when I gave the car a full tank, but it wasn't running on fumes or anything, had about 80 miles left in the tank.

I'm planning on giving the throttle body a good clean to see if that helps as currently the car idles at 900 which is on the lower end of 'ok' I think.

Also read this could be caused by faulty camshaft sensor? Any way to diagnose this or is it a replace and hope it fixes kind of thing?

Please help, the car completely loses its charm when it's like this :worried:

Last edited:
Ok just for correction, appears as though car idles at 750... definitely going to give the TB a good clean on Saturday, although I imagine this is probably unrelated to loss of power.

Anybody got any ideas?

Most sensor faults will bring a code up. so if no light on probably no sensor faults. some vehicles can feel flat when low on fuel, my master van used to. does vvt kick in? what sort of revs is it flat?

Most sensor faults will bring a code up. so if no light on probably no sensor faults. some vehicles can feel flat when low on fuel, my master van used to. does vvt kick in? what sort of revs is it flat?

it feels flat across the whole rev range, it's not the flat spot as I know where that is, but even at 4/5k revs in 2nd/3rd there's no pull what so ever.

How do I tell when VVT kicks in? Does the car suddenly stop accelerating? Because it's not like a sudden loss of power it just feels like the power isn't there to start with.

Vvt kicks in about 5 thousand ish. if it's flat before that it's not that. just because belt done doesn't mean it's done right. seen a few with one of the cams out. missfire?

So occasionally, usually after the car has been running 30+ mins or so, it feels like the car loses all of its urgency... I put my foot down and it just feels sluggish.

Check all hoses actually getting hot as stats can stick on these which will fool temperature sensors . always worth having a cheap code reader just to check things

So few bits of info based on a few posts I've seen on here with suggestions as to what it could be:
  • Dephaser pulley was replaced not so long ago, so don't think it's a timing issue
  • MAP sensor has been sealed with some gasket sealant
  • Fuel im using is Tesco 99
  • Lambda sensor was recently replaced (heard there's 2? Not sure which one as was done just before I got the car)
Noticed that it improved a little when I gave the car a full tank, but it wasn't running on fumes or anything, had about 80 miles left in the tank.

I'm planning on giving the throttle body a good clean to see if that helps as currently the car idles at 900 which is on the lower end of 'ok' I think.

Also read this could be caused by faulty camshaft sensor? Any way to diagnose this or is it a replace and hope it fixes kind of thing?

Please help, the car completely loses its charm when it's like this :worried:

Yeah it's before the VVT kicks in then.
& belts not been done yet just the dephaser pulley, will be getting belts done next month as that's when they're due.

After looking at some more posts it seems like faulty camshaft sensor, so might just try replace that and see what happens.

On another note my car was sat for 3 months before I got it back from garage so could be partially blocked fuel filter or something? (May explain why it improves with a full tank?)

& belts not been done yet just the dephaser pulley, will be getting belts done next month as that's when they're due.

After looking at some more posts it seems like faulty camshaft sensor, so might just try replace that and see what happens.

On another note my car was sat for 3 months before I got it back from garage so could be partially blocked fuel filter or something? (May explain why it improves with a full tank?)
The de phaser was done but not cambelt????? noooooo can't do that

No won't be filter. before start changing sensors get a code reader

The de phaser was done but not cambelt????? noooooo can't do that

The dealership did the work under warranty, I know it's recommended to change timing belt when doing dephaser as all the necessary bits are off but from what I was aware they just changed the dephaser pulley.

They didn't tell me that's what they were doing beforehand they just did the work, otherwise I would have paid the parts cost and got them to change the belts as well :worried:

You can't re tension a timing belt. A Renault dealer did that?
The dealership did the work under warranty, I know it's recommended to change timing belt when doing dephaser as all the necessary bits are off but from what I was aware they just changed the dephaser pulley.

They didn't tell me that's what they were doing beforehand they just did the work, otherwise I would have paid the parts cost and got them to change the belts as well :worried:[/QUOTE

They didn't tell me that's what they were doing beforehand they just did the work, otherwise I would have paid the parts cost and got them to change the belts as well :worried:
No you shouldn't have paid extra for the belt. They should have done it.

Reactions: Dystant
No sorry, the dealership I got the car from had 3 months warranty so they took the car to a garage they use for the work.

Maybe I misunderstood them and they did change the belts, I'll give them a ring tomorrow and try and clear things up.

Anyway! Just to add to this, cars been running sluggish as usual today for most of the day, to and from work etc, I went to put fuel in again and after putting in fuel the car feels a lot better and pulls a lot better...

Problem is I'm not running anywhere near empty, it was on the first yellow line and car said I had about 90 miles left of the tank...

I added a bit of redex when I put fuel in so maybe that can help get rid of any gunk that might be causing a blockage, as I mentioned car was sitting for about 3 months... but other than this I'm stumped about what could be causing this!

No sorry, the dealership I got the car from had 3 months warranty so they took the car to a garage they use for the work.

Maybe I misunderstood them and they did change the belts, I'll give them a ring tomorrow and try and clear things up.

Anyway! Just to add to this, cars been running sluggish as usual today for most of the day, to and from work etc, I went to put fuel in again and after putting in fuel the car feels a lot better and pulls a lot better...

Problem is I'm not running anywhere near empty, it was on the first yellow line and car said I had about 90 miles left of the tank...

I added a bit of redex when I put fuel in so maybe that can help get rid of any gunk that might be causing a blockage, as I mentioned car was sitting for about 3 months... but other than this I'm stumped about what could be causing this!
Maybe fuel went off, doubt it tho. Define sluggish. A fault normally causes a flat spot or misfire, I think you're suggesting none of those but sluggish

Maybe fuel went off, doubt it tho. Define sluggish. A fault normally causes a flat spot or misfire, I think you're suggesting none of those but sluggish

Best way I can describe it is like the standard flat spot, but across the whole rev range.

I would check as it will save you 500 quid doing them in a months time!

Reactions: Dystant
Honestly I would get a twenty quid code reader off eBay . It could be a lambda sensor stopped sending info to Ecuador so it's running rich all time. Would expect poor fuel consumption tho