loctite / stud kit

peter

POTM Winner - February 2017
which type of loctite are you guys using for your stud kits?
have been using loctite 245 till now, but some studs work loose.

i see 246 is better suitable for higher temps.
also, any alternatives out there to loctite 246?

I was going to try 243 as that's what my work has, doing a little googling one of the bike forums came back with this:

Loctite 221 Threadlocking - Low strength, low viscosity, small threads Threadlocker, Breakaway torque 8.5Nm

Loctite 222 Threadlocking - Low strength, general purpose Threadlocker, Breakaway torque 6Nm

Loctite 2400 Threadlocking - Medium Strength Threadlocker "white" Material Safety Data Sheet, no labelling, Breakaway torque 20Nm

Loctite 241 Threadlocking - Medium strength, low viscosity, small threads threadlocker, Breakaway torque 11.5Nm

Loctite 242 Threadlocking - Medium strenght, medium viscosity, general purpose threadlocker, Breakaway torque 11.5Nm

Loctite 243 Threadlocking - Suitable for all metal threaded assemblies, Breakaway torque 26Nm

Loctite 245 Threadlocking - Medium strength, medium viscosity, large threads threadlocker, Breakaway torque 13Nm

Loctite 248 Threadlocking - Medium strength threadlocker (stick), Breakaway torque 17Nm

Doing a bit more digging seems like 270 might be the best option.

270 is a high-strength threadlocker. would be very hard to get the stud out (if ever needed). wouldn't use it.

Last edited:
On my bike I use 243 for disc bolts and foot pegs. I have used 270 on the sprocket carrier studs before as you don't want them coming loose!

Reactions: sevenfourate
On my bike I use 243 for disc bolts and foot pegs. I have used 270 on the sprocket carrier studs before as you don't want them coming loose!

Most of the supposed 'permanent' versions break free with a little heat anyway.

So if it's an area like a hub where you can get a hot air gun to it; to direct the heat - you should have no problems removing.

So if it's an area like a hub where you can get a hot air gun to it; to direct the heat - you should have no problems removing.

As said above - heat will sort it for removal

We always carry a blow torch with us to tracks to aid removal if required, having said that not have broken or come loose

As said above - heat will sort it for removal

We always carry a blow torch with us to tracks to aid removal if required, having said that not have broken or come loose

cheers guys. found this video ...

loctite 266 or 272, whichever i find local, it is.

This is where I got 272 from

http://www.bearingsrus.co.uk/other-...ctite-272-high-strength-high-tempurature-50ml

I cleaned all the threads out with and M14 tap and plenty of brake cleaner. I installed the studs using a pair of nuts locked together rather than the hex head. Once installed I left the car on the drive and didn't fully torque up the wheels for 24 hrs.

Is 272 what you recommend then?

Looking through the descriptions 270 seems to be bang on the money:

LOCTITE 270 is a high-strength threadlocker for maximum efficacy in the securing and sealing of bolts, nuts and studs to prevent loosening due to vibration. The product serves to permanently lock assemblies which must not come loose. It works on all metals, including passive substrates such as stainless steel, aluminium and plated surfaces. It is proven to be tolerant of minor contamination due to industrial oils, e.g. engine oils, corrosion prevention oils and cutting fluids. Can be disassembled by heating to 300°C.

Is 272 what you recommend then?

Looking through the descriptions 270 seems to be bang on the money:

LOCTITE 270 is a high-strength threadlocker for maximum efficacy in the securing and sealing of bolts, nuts and studs to prevent loosening due to vibration. The product serves to permanently lock assemblies which must not come loose. It works on all metals, including passive substrates such as stainless steel, aluminium and plated surfaces. It is proven to be tolerant of minor contamination due to industrial oils, e.g. engine oils, corrosion prevention oils and cutting fluids. Can be disassembled by heating to 300°C.

272 is high temperature resistant. from what i can tell, 270 isn't.
http://www.loctite.co.uk/loctite-4087.htm?nodeid=8802623717377