Limp mode

Going to look at a 197 later today all being well.

I know that it has a fault where when driven hard the car goes into limp mode. At present i do not know if it throws up a code, but will hopefully be able to check later.
I have been reading through lots of posts on this forum and it looks like there are a few potential issues that are common.
1 - Pedal potentiometer
2- Throttle Body
3- Corrosion on ECU pins
Obviously with these potential causes i want to view the car knowing that these may require changing and the cost of these parts.

So where would be the best place to purchase the above parts from? Does anyone have any prices so that i can use it to haggle?

Are there any quick and easy checks i can do to see which is at fault?

Thanks Alan

Hi Alan. I've been on here a year and never knew about these problems!
Your best bet would be to look at Renault Parts Direct website and see if anything is listed. Alternatively, give Paul Temperton a call there and discuss with him. He's on here as @renaultpartsdirect
I'd also suggest looking on eBay for used/recon/new parts.

I found these items mentioned by typing in "Clio 197 Limp Mode" on Google. There are various threads from different forums with this issue.

I will have a look at link. Thanks.

A little update.
Connected my basic OBD2 reader and it shown a "knock" sensor fault. Fitted a new knock sensor and filled the tank with V Power.
Went on track today and the car was perfect for 2 laps and then on the 3rd lap i got a "ESP Fault" and "Injector Fault" and the car went into limp mode.
Plugged in my OBD2 reader and no codes?
Turned off the car, started again and it was all fine. Turned off the ESP and went back on track. Didn't even manage a lap and the same faults.
Turned off car, checked as many connections as i could get to. Didn't see any that looked to be dry or bad (But only visual). Removed throttle body gave it a clean, removed some ECU plugs from behind the air box(don't know what ECU this is?), checked them and reconnected.
This took about an hour or so.
Went back on track and the car was fine for 3 laps then happened again. Turn off engine and works ok.
It does seem to be once everything has got a little hotter. Maybe causing a higher resistance somewhere.
Has anyone else had this fault and if so what was found to be the issues?
I am going to see if i can get it plugged into a proper code reader to see if anything is showing?
I did try a used throttle body off a guy on track that had a spare, but the car wouldn't even idle correctly with that fitted. So had to refit my original.

Basic obd2 readers are basic. Get it proper CLIP diagnosted. If it throws that error dont erase any codes before proper diagnostic check.

Reactions: DS197
Basic obd2 readers are basic. Get it proper CLIP diagnosted. If it throws that error dont erase any codes before proper diagnostic check.
I would very much agree with this. My first port of call is always getting a proper diagnostic performed by CLIP as this reduces, if not eliminates the need of throwing money at the car replacing parts that are working correctly.

My previous 197 had sporadic fault light flashing, generic reader told it was some kind of misfire of fueling fault. No any help. Clip time. Clip found camshaft sensor error, new sensor. All okay!. It was just 1 example..

A friend on mine luckily has Clip Diagnostic tool.
I will be taking the car over to him at the weekend. Hopefully it shows something at fault?

Thanks for your comments. Will keep you posted on what i find.