LED headlights

c.h 90

Paid Member
Has any one fitted LED headlight bulbs? I’ve a 200 ff but would like a bit more light at nighttime. Not that keen on HIDs.
Does anyone know do you need domed headlight caps to fit the LEDs?
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mate has put LED's in his Audi S3.
He has replaced his normal halogens and swears by them.
Philips ones, but they are about £170 list price with something like 25% discount on Autobulbsdirect

Not sure about if you need domed cap or not.

For that price they’d want to be the best damn LEDs in the business! They don’t seem to need a ballast unit either.
I assume they are not MOT compliant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I see of LED headlights have a tail end connector similar to a ballast as the LED's create a lot of heat and the heat sink on them have fans normally fitted so I can see a few problems, The affect of heat on the inside of the headlight like yellowing and affecting the Perspex or for some the glass I used higher rated bulbs in the Williams style Clio with glass headlights and with the lights on I sprayed it with a power hose and the thermal shock cracked the glass from the hotter brighter bulbs inside. The depth to the back of the bulb for the heat sink might have fitting problems and air to cool the bulb might mean the rubber boot might have to stay off and for the wires to pass out allowing dirt and water to enter the headlight I would wait until some branded ones come out like Philips etc. I think they are not developed enough yet I've put Cree bulbs in D cell Maglite's the battery life and light is extreme but there is always a problem with focus as the lens is made for scattered light from normal bulbs these need to be tested in reflector and projector headlights to see if there are any downsides.