Large camera mounts

Does anyone use anything other than gopros etc for track day videos?

I have a micro 4/3s camera which does decent video, it's a bit smaller/lighter than a small DSLR. Not sure of the best method of mounting it though.

I've tried a decent plunger mount 2 places. Passenger side window which doesnt give a good view. Boot window which gives and awesome view and sound. Problem is the mount wobbles alot.

I was toying with the idea of knocking together something to attach to the passenger recaro. Any ideas?

I've got a Manfretto mount and use a Kodak Zi8 (about the size of the an iPhone). The mount was about £20 and I'll post the link for where I got it from when I get on the laptop later for you...

Mounts to the bar on your headrest so the camera sits inbetween the front seats. Type in FLDWILLIS on You Tube and it'll bring my videos up so you can see the camera position.

It's all adjustable for height and angle too.

And trackday compliant as it's not suckerpads. :wink:

I've got a Manfretto mount and use a Kodak Zi8 (about the size of the an iPhone). The mount was about £20 and I'll post the link for where I got it from when I get on the laptop later for you...

Mounts to the bar on your headrest so the camera sits inbetween the front seats. Type in FLDWILLIS on You Tube and it'll bring my videos up so you can see the camera position.

It's all adjustable for height and angle too.

And trackday compliant as it's not suckerpads. :wink:

Cheers link would be very much appreciated, looks like a good position. I did wonder whether I'd get away with with a sucker type one.

I use a Manfrotto Super Clamp with a ball head fitted. You'll need something solid to clamp it to (rollcages are perfect), but it's really for holding studio lights onto rigging so it's rated for 15kg and is absolutely rock solid even with a big SLR on.

Anyone got any suggestions for a mount that would fit with Recaros?

I have a bit of rectangular metal tube lying around, I'm going to try fixing that between to two seats using the strap holes. Then use one of the above clamps. Need to get a half cage seems almost easier.

Anyone got any suggestions for a mount that would fit with Recaros?

You could use a clamp on the rear headrests that will still sit your camera bang central between the seats, you'd just have to zoom in a little. Or using a Manfretto, you could clamp the camera onto the top of the clock binnacle in the centre of the dashboard.

I have a bit of rectangular metal tube lying around, I'm going to try fixing that between to two seats using the strap holes. Then use one of the above clamps. Need to get a half cage seems almost easier.

Not a bad idea that mate. :smile:

Now you mention it rich I think someone did do that, can't think who though. Not sure how much I fancy clamping anything to the Recaros unless it's made for it though in case it marks them. Do you reckon the clock woud hold a full size dslr willis? To me a good suction cup would be a better bet but most tracks are frowning other these days :worried:

Could go for rear seats and a 80mm lens on the back seats, might go sit in the back n see what it would look like...

I'm not sure to be honest, it'd depend on the weight. It's worth getting a clamp and trying, the binnacle is pretty thick plastic.

Suction ones are far easier to position and work with, all the TDOs seem to have thrown a wobbler over them though. :worried:

Would a suction cup mount be that bad as long as it's not mounted on the windscreen? I assume they don't want them falling onto drivers, or off the car if it's outside.

Incase anyone is interested (and because everyone loves Clio noise) I thought I'd add a compilation of a few test videos taken using the PanaVise 809 suction cup mount. It's actually really sturdy but looking at it whilst driving it seems to wobble side-to-side. My camera also rattles a lot for some reason, not to mention bits of boot trim creaking.

Three combinations tried:
- Passenger side window (20mm lens)
- Boot window (20mm lens)
- Boot window (50mm lens)

I got a little over excited at the sight of a clear road at about the minute mark.
http://youtu.be/FmOP_mqHNiI
Can't work out how to embed the video :tongueout:anic: