L33th3tr33's Ultra red 197

like a nice minor restore thread getting a car back to how it should be done, good work, painted engine looks great

Thanks! It's silly really, I'd rather buy a car that needs tidying up than something mint that you can just drive. All part of the fun though I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks! It's silly really, I'd rather buy a car that needs tidying up than something mint that you can just drive. All part of the fun though I guess.

I totally get it mate, our 182 track car was a total bodge when we bought it and we have literally gone through the whole thing to make it mechanically brand new

I totally get it mate, our 182 track car was a total bodge when we bought it and we have literally gone through the whole thing to make it mechanically brand new

My first cup I got off a mate for a grand and put that into it again to make it what I deemed road worthy. I didn't know anything about them at the time so I went in blind but I wouldn't go back and change it, too much fun and a great learning curve.

So today was the day.....

I got some things in the post that I've been too excited about. My shocks were crashy and knocking all over the shop so I got a nice replacement...

8f5afc5ec867b4ab712ba67c26325797.jpg
9d8a3e3ab1fbe03b580095fe2767171a.jpg

A nice set of b14's and some spacers!
I've heard that spacers take away from the handling to a degree so they'll be taken off when on track if they turn out to impair the handling too much, I'll have to do some back to back runs and see the difference.

I also got something that the car was in dire need of. It makes the car in my opinion and finishes the front end of the car off nicely. I also plastidipped the front emblem to see if I liked it, which I do so I'll decide wether to keep it matt/satin or buy a gloss cover.

a9710f036eba7f5c103c7a5561c733e8.jpg
eb4d5c8a55357b7c70513dad9df0510a.jpg

Really love the look of the car now, and I can't stop looking at it. I think I made the right choice getting this over a mk2.

Very nice upgrades. Particularly the shockers. Maybe i just take any black insert headlights for granted mind. Look great on yours.....

Looks like you've fitted it all yourself too. Top man !

ENJOY THE TWISTY BITS !!! :smile:

****And no mention of MK2's on here please. We don't want to lower the tone :sunglasses:

Y
Very nice upgrades. Particularly the shockers. Maybe i just take any black insert headlights for granted mind. Look great on yours.....

Looks like you've fitted it all yourself too. Top man !

ENJOY THE TWISTY BITS !!! :smile:

****And no mention of MK2's on here please. We don't want to lower the tone :sunglasses:
Yeah, I do all the work myself, I did a shell swap after only ever doing brakes and basic maintenance, so I learned a lot!
The billies are awesome, not crashy, not too stiff or soft, just a good middle ground. I've got about 10mm left on the front so I'll wait til they've settled and see where it sits.
Well look at a comparison of the two, I can't stand the standard halogens, too tackym base model looking for me!

Nothing wrong with a mk2's, I assume you've owned one before?

Reactions: LJColeman
Y

Yeah, I do all the work myself, I did a shell swap after only ever doing brakes and basic maintenance, so I learned a lot!
The billies are awesome, not crashy, not too stiff or soft, just a good middle ground. I've got about 10mm left on the front so I'll wait til they've settled and see where it sits.
Well look at a comparison of the two, I can't stand the standard halogens, too tackym base model looking for me!

Nothing wrong with a mk2's, I assume you've owned one before?

Getting stuck in is how you learn. Failures; not success = know-how ! Good for you....

**MK2 comment was 'humour'. Hence the emoji :sunglasses:

Never so much as sat in a 1*2 i don't think. Hoping to get one soon as a second / track car soon though; depending what happens with my middle son who's currently learning to drive. If he's buys or is bought something; space being the issue. And i dont think we could car share on a 182. Imagine the insurance at 17 !

Getting stuck in is how you learn. Failures; not success = know-how ! Good for you....

**MK2 comment was 'humour'. Hence the imoji :sunglasses:

Never so much as sat in a 1*2 i don't think. Hoping to get one soon as a second / track car soon though; depending what happens with my middle son who's currently learning to drive. If he's buys or is bought something; space being the issue. And i dont think we could car share on a 182. Imagine the insurance at 17 !

Haha fair enough! You'll like it, driving position isn't far off the mk3, generally a bit lower but they're so much fun, especially when they're stripped with some decent tyres! I'd go for a 172 cup as there's less stuff to strip in the first place, no abs etc to get rid of.
here's my old one.

40e5c176ad42a0b8b5f3d5e66873b8e6.jpg

Roof rack was actually used, it wasn't a show car by any means, but fully enjoyed!

You never know with insurance, it was my first car and worked out cheaper than any little engined hatch.

Reactions: sevenfourate
Haha fair enough! You'll like it, driving position isn't far off the mk3, generally a bit lower but they're so much fun, especially when they're stripped with some decent tyres! I'd go for a 172 cup as there's less stuff to strip in the first place, no abs etc to get rid of.
here's my old one.

View attachment 112201

Roof rack was actually used, it wasn't a show car by any means, but fully enjoyed!

You never know with insurance, it was my first car and worked out cheaper than any little engined hatch.

She's a looker ! Very nice. As an aside - how did you tint the lights. Been 'thinking' about doing my 200's fogs yellow for quit a while but got no further. Film or spray ? Was it fairly hardy ?

You might be right ref insurance. I'm kind of ready now if the right one appeared locally.....as i'm in no rush. Going to wait until he's passed and see how the land lies. If i can insure sensibly for me and him then it would cover two birds with one stone.

She's a looker ! Very nice. As an aside - how did you tint the lights. Been 'thinking' about doing my 200's fogs yellow for quit a while but got no further. Film or spray ? Was it fairly hardy ?

You might be right ref insurance. I'm kind of ready now if the right one appeared locally.....as i'm in no rush. Going to wait until he's passed and see how the land lies. If i can insure sensibly for me and him then it would cover two birds with one stone.

Not to mention, a track car for a first car.... BEST DAD EVER!!! :tearsofjoy:

The lights were a bit awkward because of how rounded they are, but just take your time, two sets of hands are definitely a plus. I used film, just the cheap ebay stuff but you can get 'premium' stuff, might be better? There's plenty of guides on youtube, but use a hairdryer, not a heat gun as they're too powerful in my experience.

Looks really well that :smile: Billy's are lovely, any side on pics, love to see the height you have it and is there any adjustment to go lower left?

This is an awesome update...hats off to you for doing all the work yourself.saved a few pennies there..the b14's are great as you mentioned..perfect middle ground for all purposes..track and every day driving...as i said previously,you don't mess around,do you?
Honestly,your car is becoming one of the best on the forum :thumb:

Last edited:
Looks really well that :smile: Billy's are lovely, any side on pics, love to see the height you have it and is there any adjustment to go lower left?

Thanks, not any at the minute but I'll get some hopefully later tonight or tomorrow.

This is an awesome update...hats off to you for doing all the work yourself.saved a few pennies there..the b14's are great as you mentioned..perfect middle ground for all purposes..track and every day driving...as i said previously,you don't mess around,do you?
Honestly,your car is becoming one of the best on the forum :thumb:

Thank you, that's very kind! It does need the front end spraying to get rid of the stone chips but other than that it's definitely getting there!
Yes, I'm more than happy with the billies! Just goes to show how bad my standard shocks were, these are a lot more forgiving, but the handling is great! No, I don't like waiting to do things that need doing, plus I've got a month off to get my hgv licence so while I've got the time I'm going to get stuck in!

Here's what I've been doing today....

Sunstrip and yellow fogs. I fitted my led dipped beams while the bumper was off.
It seems that even with the standard suspension setup the fronts of the arches have worn through, so I had to get creative to not put a hole in my washer bottle. Pikey as you like, by its solid and isn't going anywhere. Tried to pull it off as hard as I could and the only thing that was going to break was the bottle itself!

4f9350ce2c67d375801473c4b91c9adb.jpg
ef47a4d1adeb6ef524a06745b9d0336d.jpg
efe4b59345ab4fac2ef441f09a434aed.jpg

Can't wait to get some decent pictures, I'm so happy with how it's looking now! Nothing left to do on the front end apart from getting the top grills to sit flush at the top, but I'll figure out a fix for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely love the way the car sits, makes me want to put the standard alloys back on mine! Are those 20mm spacers you have?