Just bought a 197!

In albi blue, 38k on a 56k plate. A big improvement over my 172 in terms build quality and handling.

Only issue I have is the gearbox, which im slightly paranoid about since the car has just gone out of warranty. It seems very stiff. Third and fourth gears are a pain in the arse when giving the car hell. Its like there's a momentary pause before I can slot either of those gears on upshifts. The gearbox doesn't crunch though. Downshifts are equally as bad, unless heel and toeing.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

Cheers

Welcome to the site :thumbup1: Nice colour choice! :tongue_smilie:

I have had my gearbox changed under warranty, but mine was making a funny noise tho...

Where did you buy it? Dealer/Private?

Welcome mate! Congrats on the purchase.

I can't help much on the gearbox side but i can say that sometimes when im giving my car a little bit of beans i sometimes crunch going into 4th ;/ maybe thats just my impatience lol!

Cheers for the responses.

:smile: It was from hylton renault in worcester, I do have a short warranty with them, but I'm unsure whether I'd get anything out of them as the car is driveable at normal speeds.

You say at normal speeds it's ok? what speeds are you talking about where the problems occur? This heel & toeing, is this on track?

I was in Hylton Fiat Worcester a couple of weeks ago looking for a 200.

welcome to the site.
the glove boxes are the best fit. the are only held in by half a dozen screws.
try taking it out and refitting it.

oh.! and you got the best colour... :wink:

welcome!! id constantly crunch the gearbox going into 3rd everytime i drove it hard wen i 1st got it. get used to it tho and now its never a problem 4 me

lol.. i know whose car you have bought, and i had a quick look around it just before you bought it. Alloys need a refurb don't they? It's in need of a good polish too 8)

Oh, and don't expect any after service from Hylton :blush:hmy:

.........I have an 07 R27 and whenever i'm coming into a roundabout or tight corner at high(ish, 50-60) speed the gearbox will occasionally crunch into 3rd gear. it doesn't do this at lower road speeds...........

one of my very first posts on CS.

Got the box replaced under warranty, give your stealer's a go, if not i've herd that its a common problem so Renault customer services may be able to help.

edit: also, noticed that your car is on a 56 plate. from what i've read on cs this has the old gearbox type, shorter ratios which apparently was updated for 07 onwards? can anyone else confirm this tho?

lol.. i know whose car you have bought, and i had a quick look around it just before you bought it. Alloys need a refurb don't they? It's in need of a good polish too 8)

Oh, and don't expect any after service from Hylton :blush:hmy:

Alloys aren't too bad, one or two marks which I can live with.

Car was polished, waxed etc couple of days after I picked it up so looked pretty mint. Needs cleaning again now though.

Brakes are shagged, think it might be the pads, bought some replacement ones which i'm going to fit shortly. Unsure though, had the pedal going to the floor this evening after a hardish drive over bridgenorth. And im still not convinced about the gearbox. Driving gently its perfect. Soon as you stray over 5k, game over, sometimes it'll slot 3rd/4th/5th fine, other times it feels like it doesn't want to go in at all and will require some serious force.

Seems the problems I ditched my 172 for have carried over on to the new car.

hi, I have the same problem and mine is new

I suspect a loose engine or gearbox mount but the dealers checked the car and can't find any fault

I find that if I put a little bit of pressure on the gear stick right before shifting it slides into the next gear smoothly

can you please check this for me: drive in 3rd gear at 3-4000rpm constant speed, keep your hand on the gear stick then accelerate and decelerate slightly - does the gear stick move slightly backwards and forwards in gear?

hi, I have the same problem and mine is new

I suspect a loose engine or gearbox mount but the dealers checked the car and can't find any fault

I find that if I put a little bit of pressure on the gear stick right before shifting it slides into the next gear smoothly

can you please check this for me: drive in 3rd gear at 3-4000rpm constant speed, keep your hand on the gear stick then accelerate and decelerate slightly - does the gear stick move slightly backwards and forwards in gear?

Alright mate, yeah i know for a fact the engine mounts are going to need replacing at some point in the near future. Backing off at any speed, it feels like the engine / drivetrain is rocking about a bit. No knocking as of yet though, which is what happened on my 172.

Suppose its a possibility this could affect changing gears, but it never made a difference in the 172. Suppose replacing the engine mounts would be cheaper than having a gearbox rebuilt so I might look into this first.