Just backbox?

Hi guys. I have been looking around at different exhaust options for my 197. It currently has the standard system on with a decat. Has anyone got just an aftermarket backbox on rather than a catback? I don't wan't it to be too much louder, just a little more beef to it, and wondered if that might be a decent compromise. Cheers

The thing is that these exhaust systems have 2 or 3 small silencers spread along the system, to get what you want I think a fair few people have removed the silencer in the centre

Hi guys. I have been looking around at different exhaust options for my 197. It currently has the standard system on with a decat. Has anyone got just an aftermarket backbox on rather than a catback? I don't wan't it to be too much louder, just a little more beef to it, and wondered if that might be a decent compromise. Cheers

With the centre silencer removed it will sound a tad deeper but also more tinny (mine does).

If its just a backbox, somewhere like Powerflow would be your best bet.

i had my centre silencer removed and does sound better would be interested what it would sound like with a new back box has anyone had this done?

Do we think it would deepen up the tone with just a backbox? Doesn't seem to be anyone who has done it when I've searched

If it were me id put a resonated catback system on it with the cat back in, if you dont want it too loud.

I had just a back box as the first thing I did, probably the best sounding of all the configurations I've run. it was the Supersprint Racing back box.

Thanks for the reply. I might see how much Longlife or Powerflow might charge to knock up a back box on its own... Hopefully a fair bit cheaper than the whole system and might beef up the sound along with the decat and induction kit.

I will say the Supersprint racing backbox is flipping loud, hence why it sounded best with everything else in place. Nice deep sound, not raspy, few pops and minimal drone from what I remember. So the more 'sedate' backboxes out there might not make enough of a difference with all the other bits in place. Though your decat will help a bit.

I got greedy though and wanted more pops, and from that point is when things spiralled! So I fitted the matching Supersprint racing centre (non-resonated), sounded great but too loud and man it droned! I then fitted an R3 manifold (so pre-cat delete), and changed the stock cat to a sports cat. It was like flipping armageddon!! The only silencing was a sports cat (which does f'all) and the racing backbox (also did f'all!). BUT, it sounded awful, so raspy and farty, like a riced out 90's Honda :worried:
So I then added a centre box and changed the sports cat for a decat (which is what I run now). It's loud (too loud still) and drones a lot, but the noise is sweet, and the pops many! BUT,it doesn't perform very well on the dyno at all!! :worried:

The point of this tale....I've now spent enough to have bought an Akra, and yet I have something clearly worse in sound and performance. So you could take a punt on changing the backbox only, the custom route will be very unknown on the sound too, then maybe you'll make some other changes to get it how you want, perhaps get lucky or like me make it worse! So if you're after a good sound that's not too loud.... just buy the Akra and be done with it?!

I was going to go down the custom route... Backbox, decat and straight through.... But thought, F*** it! Bought an Akra and have never looked back! No drone, pops and bangs in the right places, plus... It sounds the mutts! :wink: Only thing I'd want is more pops all the time... but really don't fancy cutting my £1000 investment up :'(

I don't really mind about having pops etc, I would just like a slightly deeper tone without spending £££s on a full system really.