Josh’s DB197 Project

Looks superb Josh, you've done a great job with the car so far!

Any luck getting to the bottom of the steering issue you'd had?

Looks superb Josh, you've done a great job with the car so far!

Any luck getting to the bottom of the steering issue you'd had?
Cheers mate and please to see the R27 has sold - bittersweet for you but hope you got a price you were happy with.

Not really, I’ve ordered OEM track rods and ends and will replace the steering rack bush also. If that doesn’t cure it it pretty much leaves just the rack - it’s a weird one as there’s no knocking or noises to highlight a specific issue. We will see!

Cheers mate and please to see the R27 has sold - bittersweet for you but hope you got a price you were happy with.

Not really, I’ve ordered OEM track rods and ends and will replace the steering rack bush also. If that doesn’t cure it it pretty much leaves just the rack - it’s a weird one as there’s no knocking or noises to highlight a specific issue. We will see!

I really hope you can get it sorted Josh. If it's any help, I had a 'loose' feeling through the steering and that was a track rod end, so perhaps you've got the same... Fingers crossed it's a straightforward fix.

Thanks, yeah sad to see it go, but my mind was made up a while ago, so I knew what was coming. You never get the price you truly hope for, but she went for a fair one in the end.

Reactions: Josh Hill
Thanks, yeah sad to see it go, but my mind was made up a while ago, so I knew what was coming. You never get the price you truly hope for, but she went for a fair one in the end.

finding a new home..its always hard to let go..will be in the same position very soon..not sure im ready for it...

Reactions: Jimmy
I really hope you can get it sorted Josh. If it's any help, I had a 'loose' feeling through the steering and that was a track rod end, so perhaps you've got the same... Fingers crossed it's a straightforward fix.

One way or another I’ll sort it dude, I’m hoping the track rods and bush will sort it out :smile:

Today I got her on the dyno for the first time at Performance Engineering in Cardiff, made 192bhp / 210nm torque.

About where I thought it would be considering I have catback and primary decat and intake but no map to suit yet - will get that sorted once manifold and clutch are on.

Also interested to see if the power curve alters with the lightened flywheel and crank pulley too. I don’t expect any peak bhp gains but may notice a difference in how the power comes in and also in transmission losses.
FE092B5D-68DF-4E29-B5A7-7E6A0C474407.jpeg
70F46220-E382-4B6A-8685-A640A32DC0E1.jpeg

Nice little collection of bits here now I’m back from a holiday in Italy!!

TTV flywheel and crank pulley from Rene - these two combined I’m REALLY interested in seeing how it affects things.

Compbrake adjustable top mounts, OEM inner and outer track rods and of course my Toyo manifold!

Dyno runs and pics etc all to follow. Hoping to take a day or two off work next week to get the gearbox off. Does anyone know the crack with bleeding the 197 clutch slave?
45E975D2-BC04-4108-9420-E91A57183235.jpeg

Car looks great! How do you find the KTEC coilovers? Must admit i'm quite tempted but there's mixed opinions. I need new shocks anyway but can't get B14's just yet haha

Car looks great! How do you find the KTEC coilovers? Must admit i'm quite tempted but there's mixed opinions. I need new shocks anyway but can't get B14's just yet haha
Thanks Lewis, honestly so far I’m really pleased with them. They ride firm but not back breaking for daily use and are generally compliant on the road. No clanking springs or other annoying noises - as yet not tested on track and only time will tell on the durability!

Reactions: lewishunter98
Thanks Lewis, honestly so far I’m really pleased with them. They ride firm but not back breaking for daily use and are generally compliant on the road. No clanking springs or other annoying noises - as yet not tested on track and only time will tell on the durability!
Sounds good man! I'm popping down there on Saturday to test them out on one of their cars as I'm kinda tempted! Plus with coilovers I can make my car sit how I'd like it as opposed to my springs. Not unhappy with the springs at all. But there's always room for upgrades!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

A5DF1158-2AD7-458F-8486-8AB3C689792D.jpeg

Well yesterday was fun! Everything came apart smoothly but for some stupid reason the lambda and other wiring going to the rear of the car were BETWEEN the anti roll bar and subframe!

Anyway managed to get clutch and TTV flywheel fitted, bolted on the Toyo mani and did the crank pulley from Rene along with a new aux belt.
88296DF5-A6C6-4C60-98B4-DC4E1BA7B7D9.jpeg 4318568F-CEAA-4A5F-BAD1-9801A3788E6C.jpeg C2C26B95-E296-4CD2-90FD-0136ED08EC6D.jpeg
DC408029-C519-4E13-A4ED-F95562D93B69.jpeg
D098B33E-2CBB-46D9-91A9-85EC04F308E3.jpeg

Today’s job is replace track rods and ends then get the subframe back on!

Attachments

• DCAE0130-A63F-40E0-9E96-ECAC860F4305.jpeg
    DCAE0130-A63F-40E0-9E96-ECAC860F4305.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
All done!

Big job all in one go really:
  • Clutch & flywheel
  • Manifold
  • Crank pulley
  • Polybush wishbones and new wishbone ball joints
  • Compbrake top mounts
  • Track rod ends and arms
The OEM wishbone bush steel collars were a pain to get out of the ally wishbones without a press but got there in the end.

Car ran like an absolute pig on start up, given a bit of time and a quick spin and it adapted a bit better to the manifold and cleared its throat a bit.

Need tracking sorted then a dyno run again to see what’s changed followed by mapping.

All went ok yeah, no real stubborn bolts or anything just a time consuming job rolling around on your back!

Anyway, car runs like a bag of shit. Particularly on cold start it is completely undrivable, tries to stall. Get a load of misfire/splutter at 3-4K rpm.

Primary lambda must have been damaged swapping it over :worried: I was very careful too but sometimes they’re all too fragile. New lambda tomorrow and hopefully it’ll be all good and I can actually see the benefits of the new upgrades!

I always admire people when they do so much work like this on their own - I get that some folk are more mechanically adept than others, but even so, kudos to you Josh. I hope you can get it running smoothly again soon - you obviously know what you're doing, so I'm sure you will :wink: