Jimmy's Deep Black R27 no.243 - Goodbye kid, it's been a blast.

Jimmy

Good cop
So after becoming a member and being on the forum for almost a year, I thought it was long overdue that I start a thread for my car, and also to introduce myself a bit, more so now that I have been made a mod.

I bought R27 no.243 at the start of May last year and can safely say it's one of the best decisions I ever made.

f4af2215-9964-4772-801d-c33e4f4279ce.jpg

My first 'hot' hatch was a Ford Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 in Imperial Blue. It had a blistering 100hp, but it was a fantastic little car, really good chassis and a huge amount of fun. I was a member for years on the owners forum ZSOC.com . I attended loads of club shows and meets and I was a moderator on the site for a long time.

2006_0306Cars0003.jpg

Sadly I had to sell Blue Thunder when I started working as a driving instructor (worst job I've ever had, never ever again). I was gutted when it went and promised myself another one.

So a few years later, after driving around in a diesel, dual-controlled Corsa for far too long, I went on the lookout for another ZS. I found one in the shape of a 2001 Panther Black example:

ca28d4d8-cc53-4887-9f85-396aa4443023.jpg

At first, I was well chuffed to be back behind the wheel of a ZS. However after the honeymoon period was over, reality set in. And so did the dreaded rust on the wheel arches. And various electrical faults. And bushes that needed replacing every single MOT time. And the rust again.

And so I began the hunt for a car that would move me on from the little Ford. I looked at all the usual suspects - Civic Type-R, Leon Cupra R, Fiesta ST (old one), Golf GTi, Swift Sport(?) until I eventually decided that a Clio 197 was the best choice.

My only previous experience of France's finest was when my brother owned a 172 Cup. I thought about a 1*2, but the age of these put me off. So it was a mk3 I set my heart on. I decided early on that I wanted Recaro seats and the Cup pack, so an F1 Team seemed the logical choice.

After a short time searching, I found a Deep Black R27 that was advertised locally on here and also PistonHeads. I texted the seller one Sunday morning, test drove it that afternoon, paid the deposit that evening and drove it home on the Tuesday :001_tt1: Nearly a year on, I absolutely love it and I am so happy that I made the move away from Ford.

94f8fba5-8615-445f-b44c-f6c768e660be.jpg

I have never been one for modifying my cars, so it will be kept pretty much standard. Apart from a couple of small upgrades.....

Last edited:
At the year seven service (at RS Murray in Leeds), they told me that the front discs were corroding, although it wasn't affecting performance. I had read a few good things on here about MTEC discs and so ordered myself a pair of drilled and grooved items, and a set of Mintex M1144 pads:

4fc4deff-d46d-428f-849d-d58f77a4ba4e.gif

I had them fitted at Harratts in Wakefield and also had all the calipers serviced at the same time. Here is an arty-farty Instagram shot of them fitted:

a3fc83ec-36db-43ca-99c2-6f284b2e13a5.gif

So far, I am very happy with them in comparison to the OEM items. I haven't had a proper run out yet with them on the car, but am looking forward to giving them a good workout when the weather starts improving.

Another thing that needed attention were the tyres. Although all four were relatively new when I bought the car, they were dubiously all different ones, ranging from Contis, through Falkens to budget ditchfinders. So after putting a few thousand miles on them and reducing the tread depth enough to justify new ones, I opted for some Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2.

They were fitted to the car yesterday so haven't had chance to give them a proper tryout, however I'm pretty certain that the car will feel a lot better now that it has a proper matching set of boots. I'll spare you any photos of the tyres as I'm sure you all know what they look like :wink:

You can make do with some more shots of no.243/500 in all her shiny glory:

8d0b5c88-e3e9-44e8-b57d-ba258ffdad9d.jpg

96c97b26-fa81-4777-811c-36af7b2bddaf.jpg

0bfce380-bcc8-49d7-8867-6d3efe49c0ac.jpg

38fe24f3-8677-4268-97f2-aff85b299527.jpg

The only other small change I made was to replace the Championship sticker on the back window, as the original one had faded to black and white. I found some decent copies on eBay and have a spare one as a backup.

Future plans are a refurb of all 4 wheels, due to some light kerbing (not me officer) and some corrosion.

The driver's side bolster is also worn on the Recaro, but because I'm a lightweight chap and pretty agile, I can swing myself in and over the bolster like a little RS-loving chimp, so hopefully the damage won't get any worse. It is something I'd like to be put right in the future though.

Big mods; I probably won't go down that route, but the more I see videos and read comments about an aftermarket exhaust, the more tempted I get.... :innocent:

Thanks a lot for reading, hope you enjoyed! C&C's welcome.

Jimmy

Last edited:
hi jimmy..glad you decided to go down the French route..they are great cars to drive and really good looking too...i have mtec discs myself conbined with mintex1144 pads and have to tell ya that they work a treat..you will be surprised how much braking power you will get now...
as for an aftermarket exhaust system,you will get one sooner or later..like most of us..it will put a smile on your face-guaranteed..

Looking good Jimmy.

my last car was a mk6 zetec s, I posted a few times on zsoc but not too much compared to here lol.

Thanks for all the comments so far.

debadge if you fancy it, finishes the arse end right off.

I've thought about that, but then I worry that I won't like it :smiley:

Looking good Jimmy.

my last car was a mk6 zetec s, I posted a few times on zsoc but not too much compared to here lol.

Cheers Chris. Yeah, you are a super-poster on here! ZSOC is a decent site, I really enjoyed it, it was a good community. One of the big reasons I enjoy this forum is that it has the same sort of friendliness and community spirit.

So Sunday just gone, I went on a run out with some of the Yorkshire members, including Gaz (Gazeratti), Si (Foxspeed), Josh (lostmotel), Ant (theANT) and Rob Lynn. We met in Leeds and then headed out into the Yorkshire Dales with the plan of going over the Buttertubs Pass, made famous recently during the Tour de France. As well as two 197s, there were four RS Meganes, a Fiesta ST and a BMW Z4.

It was a really good drive out, despite the horrible weather at the start of the day and the fact that the cars got completely covered in good old Yorkshire mud and a lot of what the sheep left behind :tomato: The roads out in the Dales are perfect for the Clio and, add in the fact that it was a pretty quiet day, it felt like we had the run of the place. The cyclists were a bit of an annoyance at times, but it didn't really spoil our fun.

We ended up doing the Buttertubs pass twice, which is an amazing experience - tight, twisty and undulating roads with just some thin barrier wires keeping you from a massive drop to one side....it really sharpens the senses. Seeing our little train of cars spread out on those roads was a brilliant sight.

I'll be posting up a video soon of some of the highlights, but for now there's a couple of photos that I took, when we parked up at Ribblehead Viaduct for a bacon buttie.

IMG_1231.gif

IMG_1230.gif

IMG_1233.gif

Also, here is the link to more photos taken on the day by [MENTION=1182]Gazeratti[/MENTION]

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gazeratti/sets/72157651241889112/

Unfortunately, on Monday morning when I was parking up at work, there was a horrible creaking/grinding noise from the steering when turning full lock :worried: I suspected it would be the dreaded lower balljoints/hub swivel assembly that were at fault. I can only assume that those hump back jumps out in the Dales had done some damage...

Having looked at some threads on the forum and confirmed that this was the problem, I searched again and found a thread started by [MENTION=1272]Fernandez[/MENTION] http://www.clio197.net/forum/showth...er-refurbishment-offer-Top-and-bottom-swivels

I rang Mark Black at Bolsover Car Care and mentioned Mr F, and he very kindly booked me in for today to get the problem sorted. It was the NS hub that was knackered (the driver's side had been replaced in February 2014 by the previous owner). He had it all sorted in a couple of hours and he honored the price quoted in the above thread.

Whilst the Clio was up on the ramps, Mark noticed that the steering rack arms and bush have play in them and they will need attention soon and certainly before the next MOT. Not the news I'd hoped for, as it's scuppered other plans I had for the car, but I will be happy to get it sorted, as I want no.243 to be in tip-top condition :cloud9:

I can thoroughly recommend Mark / Bolsover Car Care - I understand they have a very good reputation on the RS Megane forums and I can see why. Thanks also to Fernandez for sorting out the deal on the hub assembly for the forum.

shame the weather sucked but apart from that,the pictures are great..bet you had a cracking time behind the wheel..
:thumbup:

Was good to meet you at the weekend matey :smile: Shame about the car the day after though :worried: Hope you manage to sort it

I took the GoPro along on the Sunday run out in the Dales. I got about an hour of decent footage altogether, but here is the first run over the Buttertubs Pass

[video=youtube;Zio9Wwg2wyA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zio9Wwg2wyA&feature=youtu.be[/video]