Intermittent Starts

Hey guys,

Loving the forum and my 197 :smile:) although it has started to have a very strange problem - intermittently it won't start, the car turns over but fails to start. I can leave it for a day, go back and it will start on the button :worried: very confusing - any idea's peeps? The car was second hand to me and has done roughly 35k, I have already replaced the starter motor and that didn't fix it.

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

Hello & welcome!!! :smile:

Unfortunately I can't give you any advice about the starting issue, but no doubt there'll be people on here who can. :smile:

I am not an expert at all but it could possibly be sensor, possibly the crank sensor?

Otherwise I would look towards fuelling. There will definitely be someone on here could point you in a better direction!

welcome fella :thumbup:

non start......could be lots of things

crank sensor
fuel pump

to name a couple

you need to see when it doesnt start whether its electrical ie no spark or no fuel

when it next does it try to listen for the fuel pump running for a few seconds - if you can hear that - then take a plug coil out and put a plug in the end earth on the engine and then crank it over to see if theres a spark....

try removing the crank sensor above the gearbox bell housing and check/clean the tip with a little wire whool and check the plug/ loom for crap/rust.

I had something similar and it was a fuel pump but it would struggle to start like it was just about to fire in to life and would just stall. After a day it'd start then a few days later the same thing would happen!

Was just about to say that, if its fuel pump it would normally start and then splutter to a stop after a few seconds.

I would be tempted to look at crank/cam sensors and then possibly at immobiliser fault

ahh wow thanks for all the help and warm welcome guys, i'll try all the suggested posts and see where it gets me :smiley: my dads a mechanic and he said he replaced one of the sensors already but didn't say which (possibly the crank) it's just so frustrating as hes plugged it into a diag machine and it shows up no faults :worried: thanks again i'll let you know how I get on.

ahh wow thanks for all the help and warm welcome guys, i'll try all the suggested posts and see where it gets me :smiley: my dads a mechanic and he said he replaced one of the sensors already but didn't say which (possibly the crank) it's just so frustrating as hes plugged it into a diag machine and it shows up no faults :worried: thanks again i'll let you know how I get on.

slight clue there then.....

probably nothing on the engine...."could be" pointing to the fuel pump!

This might be way too simple but mine does something like that when the steering lock has not been on.

I press the start button it turns over but then stops and flashes a message on the screen about the steering lock.

Just a thought.

well I got a update from my dad, he has replaced the crank and cam shafts and he also checked for a spark when it starts and says there is one. He also thinks its a problem with fuel, so he's deciding whether to go down the fuel pump route or try a fuel relay first. Any thoughts? Really appreciate the help so far guys :smiley: :smiley:

well I got a update from my dad, he has replaced the crank and cam shafts and he also checked for a spark when it starts and says there is one. He also thinks its a problem with fuel, so he's deciding whether to go down the fuel pump route or try a fuel relay first. Any thoughts? Really appreciate the help so far guys :smiley: :smiley:

easiest and cheapest first....have a look at the wiring/connections - run a wire the the pump and an led so if the pump gets power the led is lit - if it doesnt start and its lit the fuel pump isnt pumping - been a few on here with faulty pumps