Insurance Tips (£186 for me this year, woohoo!)

It's more expensive in a garage! As its more likely you will bump it or door will drop etc, same for the drive due to house tiles etc.

Sorry, but that's completely wrong!! Almost every insurer will tell you it's cheaper to have a car in a secure garage overnight - It's a well known fact .

A car is 10 x more likely to be vandalised or damaged parked on a road than on a driveway or in a garage where a 1000-1 chance of a tile falling off the roof will happen - and then the house insurance would probably cover it anyway!!

How can a thief break in to a car in a locked garage more easily than parked out in the street?? or a vandal scratch it?? simple logic! same as anything you insure...if it's locked away or secure on your property it's usually cheaper.

Last edited:
Sorry, but that's completely wrong!! Almost every insurer will tell you it's cheaper to have a car in a secure garage overnight - It's a well known fact .

A car is 10 x more likely to be vandalised or damaged parked on a road than on a driveway or in a garage where a 1000-1 chance of a tile falling off the roof will happen - and then the house insurance would probably cover it anyway!!

How can a thief break in to a car in a locked garage?? or a vandal scratch it?? simple logic! same as anything you insure...if it's locked away it's usually cheaper.

No it this case, there has been many a discussion on why and the reasoning behind it and why.

But it appears FACT that they charge more, do a simple quote on line.

1000x mor likely it will be vandalised on the street but 2000x more you will prang it getting it in our out I guess.

No it this case, there has been many a discussion on why and the reasoning behind it and why.

1000x mor likely it will be vandalised on the street but 2000x more you will prang it getting it in our out I guess.

That's not the case though! I've been in the motor trade for 13 years and my brother in law was a broker... cars parked on the road get are more likely to get stolen/damaged/vandalised than a car parked securely on a premises - it's just a fact of the world - I don't know how you can't see that??

Walking past a car in your garage or a falling roof tile isn't going to occur as often as thousands of cars and pedestrians walking past your car in a street.

How is bumping in to your car in the garage or on your drive the same as a car or lorry driving past it and thumping in to it????? - 13 cars got keyed up my road a few years back - mine was the only one that wasn't as it was sat in the garage... It's not the same risk.

It's all just common sense!

wheres grumpytwig when you need him!!!

his quote was £400 iirc MORE for being in a garage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wheres grumpytwig when you need him!!!

his quote was £400 iirc MORE for being in a garage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must be very odd circumstances then...

Anything secured = cheaper insurance...

Was his garage build out of asbestos and have a chocolate roof...

its not been isolated cases - been a few discussions on the ruk forum over insurance being higher when garaged...

Sure - there are probably exceptions in all walks of life... I doubt out of a 1000 insurance quotes more than 10 would come back more expensive with the car being parked securely at night...

A lot of insurers insist on it for some cars..

Anyway - I fee like I am fighting a losing battle so I'm gonna shut up! All I would say to people is next time you get a quote ask where is considered safest to park a car...answer will be on secure premises.

Last edited:
It's true, mine went down £300 to keep it on the road than the garage! Took my insurance down to £2500 by keeping it on the road :smile:

It's true, mine went down £300 to keep it on the road than the garage! Took my insurance down to £2500 by keeping it on the road :smile:

But I could say everyone I know has reduced premiums for parking on their driveway or garage - and I know people still in the motor insurance trade who tell me these sorts of things constantly...

I'll see if I can find some UK motor insurance facts or get some from my colleague .. otherwise I'm gonna have a breakdown! :tongueout:anic::tongueout:anic::tongueout:anic::tongueout:anic:

Quote from moneysupermarket.com.. article 'tips for cheaper car insurance'

Watch where you park

More than half of vehicle thefts occur at night, so keep your car in a securely locked garage overnight. If that's not possible, at least try and park the car off the road, perhaps in a drive way.

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/money-saving-tips/

I'll try and get some more insurance backed facts from a UK broker..

I just can't see why the above is not just common sense... it seems it to me.

Last edited:
Quote from moneysupermarket.com.. article 'tips for cheaper car insurance'

Watch where you park

More than half of vehicle thefts occur at night, so keep your car in a securely locked garage overnight. If that's not possible, at least try and park the car off the road, perhaps in a drive way.

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/money-saving-tips/

I'll try and get some more insurance backed facts from a UK broker..

I just can't see why the above is not just common sense... it seems it to me.
It does make sense to park your car in a secure Garage but my opinion is that alot of people are saying that there car is locked away when it actually isn't. Therefore insurance companies are getting wise and making it more expensive to park in a garage in some cases? I'm probably wrong, just seems to be the case for me! :smile: but I admit in my first year of driving, it was cheaper to park in my garage. :smile:

It does make sense to park your car in a secure Garage but my opinion is that alot of people are saying that there car is locked away when it actually isn't. Therefore insurance companies are getting wise and making it more expensive to park in a garage in some cases? I'm probably wrong, just seems to be the case for me! :smile: but I admit in my first year of driving, it was cheaper to park in my garage. :smile:

Sure - not having a go. If your insurance has worked out cheaper that way fair play.

james EVERYONE agrees with you but as its been pointed out on RUK forum its been discussed and debated many times and there are many who are charged more.

I know its wrong, you know its wrong but for what ever reasons its right!

I'm sure in some areas it will be cheaper but on the whole from what the discussions have said its not the case.

But insurance as well all know is someone hitting a keyboard with the eyes shut and saying its what ever it says on the screen.

I'm not sure about garages but i know saying you park on the street is normally cheaper than saying you park on a drive.

I think the reason is that parked on the street you could live in any of the houses, parking on a drive, you most probably live in that house.

The point being the thieves know which house to break into to steal the keys.

my quote was cheaper for parking in the street instead of the drive, bizarrely enough.

their logic for this? If a car is parked in the street, the keys could be in any number of houses. If its in a driveway the chances are the keys are in that house.

insurance companies work in mysterious ways.

Parking on the street is a lot cheaper on insurance quotes than on a drive or garage. Reason being that a lot insurance companies work on statistics where more people claim for scraping their car on the house/garage or has been stolen from their garage or driveway. Its odd and doesn't make much sense but it seems to be the case and I'm happy to park my car where ever the insurance is cheapest - suppose thats the benefit of living in a nice area :smile:

It is correct that it is more expensive in a garage than on a drive and even cheaper on the street.

I think it is completely ridiculous and the wrong way round. As IMO any of these cars are more likely to be vandalised or crashed into in the street than a garage door falling off...

I suspect that the overall factor is that there is a greater tendancy for high value cars to be kept in a garage, therefore more expensive claims, oh and more expensive cars often means more disposable income for them to take a share of :wink:

I think I may be able to help understand why garage parking is now more expensive with many insurers. I worked at a large insurer (renewals dept) and while trying to reduce quotes for customers I regularly noticed street parking was cheaper. I eventually found out why by asking the underwriting dept (took a while, probably because they had to inquire further).
The reason is because a significant number of customers in the past have stated (and continue to state) their car will be parked in their garage at night. BUT... in reality most can't be arsed for obvious reasons. Consequently when they make a claim for whatever reason, the customers stick to reporting that the car was garaged, else the claim would fail of course. There are of course genuine claims but there is no cost effective way for the insurer to confirm the dodgy ones so it is just accepted, therefore the damage/thefts/break-in etc statistics are recorded for so called "garaged" vehicles which in turn has made the garaged option artificially more risky and therefore more expensive over time.

The reality is its not actually cheaper to park in the street par se! What has happened is garage parking has ceased to be a rating factor that allowed insurers give you cheaper insurance like it did in the past. In other words, you are currently seeing the appropriate price for risky street parking. Garage parking has, due to dodgy claims, simply overtaken the normally more risky street parking in terms of cost. Hope this has made sense!:smile:

Last edited:

Similar Thread Suggestions