If you allow someone to drive your car, and they don't have valid insurance...

Mike

Gestapo
Platinum Member
YOU can be done for it....

Taken from Drivingban.co.uk

I allowed a friend to drive my car believing they were insured when they were not. Where do I stand?

You are guilty of the offence of permitting the vehicle to be used by an uninsured driver and face a licence endorsement of 6–8 points and a fine.

There is a potential defence if your friend showed you an insurance certificate which appeared to be valid but this may amount to reasons as to why your licence should not be endorsed as opposed to reasons justifying acquittal.

I decided to investigate this matter after someone at the Brighton meet on Thursday told me they got banned for this very reason....something I never knew could happen!!!!

BE WARNED!

Knew that, someone on police stop got done for it a couple of weeks back.

Yeah they certainly can but its really down to the courts to decide as well, plus depends on the police officers involved. But i have known two people now to be banned cause of this. So i keep it that no one drives my car just incase.

It falls under the 'use, cause, permit' law.
Its an offence for you to use a car without insurance.
Its and offence for you to cause someone (employee) to use a car without insurance
Its an offence for you to permit someone to use a car without insurance.
Bit unfair sometimes, especially when we lock pissed kid up who took parents car while they were asleep. We knock on the door "excuse me sir/madam did you give your child permission to drive the car?"
Reply "No"
Me " we need a statement of complaint for TWOC"
Reply "No i dont want to prosecute"
Reply " well that means you must have allowed him to take it?"
The conversation goes on, and it ends up they either drop their kid in it and they get done for TWOC and no insurance, or they have to say they gave permission which lands them both in it for no insurance under the 'permit'for parent and'use' for kid. The law sucks and sometimes im embarrassed to enforce it. However The 'permit' and 'cause' are one of the very few discretionary powers we still have. So everyone please be careful on test drives!! Did you also know a driving instructor gets a £60 fine and 3 points if they are caught on the phone during a lesson??!!

I knew this already, its quite a common reason of ban up this area, But im a tight ar*e when it comes to letting people near my car never mind driving it!

since when was there a brighton meet???? i never knew bout this...

LOL, sorry I forgot to mention it was a Saxperience meet - there is a monthly meet, you want to come to the next one?

Will let you know the details if you do, only problem being, I won#t have the best car there anymore - there will be two of us lol!!!

As for the insurance, I had no idea about it, the number of people that have driven my car saying that they have third party cover when I haven't asked for proof is quite shocking!

I bet you that was a good laugh! Good bunch of lads!

It is funny how they, and they alone, seem to be well behaved at meets, and others like ZSOC do handbrakes turns etc...It was a fantastic meet!!!!

Sorry for the diversion, but a ZSOC meet I went to the other week descended into a chav fest.

Yep I knew about this, only by watching those police programs on TV.

Just make sure when you sell your car that you don’t let anyone test dive it with out proving they have a licence and valid insurance whether it be temp cover of 3rd party, also don’t just assume that if they are fully comp then they can drive any car 3rd party, does not work like that, it will state on there documents if they can.

On mine I’m not allowed to drive anyone else’s car but my mine as I’m not 25, check everything and if necessary photocopy as proof as well.

Similar Thread Suggestions