ICE reccomendations

I want to change my headunit and speakers, i'm new to this stuff, so i'm not sure where to start. i was looking at an alpine headunit and speakers, what do you lot recommend and/or is alpine a goood choice?
Thanks, matt

my budget is fairly open, within reason tbh.
Chappo, whats your set up like?
I want mine for bassy music if this helps

You must have some sort of budget in mind? I could recommend a £200 setup or a £2000 setup, which sort of end of the scale are you thinking?

I would always say get a decent alpine or pioneer headunit, speakers depend on the budget

Definately agree on the alpine/pioneer choice for headunit. I would put your money into a good set of front comps and ditch the rears. Then obviously a sub in the boot if you like it bassy. Dont spread your budget over fronts and rears.

my budget is around £200, i want a decent alpine headunit, dont know which one to go for. & im not sure of what to do speaker wise ..

Maybe its best to put that to a new headunit and run standard speakers to start with. This will be an improvement over standard (this is how I have mine setup until I have time to fit the rest!) Then save a bit more for speakers and amps/sub in the future.

Speaker wise it really depends on what type of music you listen too. Maybe get to some shops and listen to a few sets? You want 13cm components for the front.

I'd agree with that really, just get a headunit for now. I have this setup and the sound is massively improved over standard.

I'd go for something like this: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-cda-105ri.html
BUT, if you can stretch that bit further i'd go for the next model up which has a better equaliser (This will really help you get the max out of the standard speakers, as long as you are prepared to spend a bit of time setting it up) http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-cda-117ri.html

For any head unit to work with display and/or steering controls you need extra adaptors. The headunit must state steering control compatible (some of the alpines also state 'sub display output too - which enables you to use display) There are then 2 types of adaptor. One steering control adaptor which has a patch lead depending on what make of stereo you have. OR the alpine loom which does both display and controls (this doesn't need a patch lead as it is specifically designed for compatible alpine units only) I have posted part numbers for these looms in other threads...search is your friend here.

I currently have the alpine Ida-x100 with the steering and display loom, but only the steering controls are working. I am about to contact alpine to understand why I get no display!

To answer your question: yes this unit is capable of both steering controls & display (assuming you have the relevant adaptors)

Last edited:
Im going to save & go for the CDA-117Ri , what do you think is better to get, the connects2 cables or the alpine cable?

Does the connects2 not show the display? by what you say it sounds as if the alpine cable doesn't...

The connects doesn't. The alpine does, but think I got a faulty lead. Not too bothered to be honest as I mainly wanted the steering controls tbh.

Could anyone that has display working with an alpine headunit say which cables they have & where they ordered them from?

Cheers

Dude your display doesn't work though... you may think yours is a faulty unit but have you seen the same cable work in another clio or something? Maybe your headunit doesn't have the 'sub display output' option?

What does it say on your display?

Thanks for the recommendation but i have to know its actually going to work otherwise id rather get the connects2 adapters & have it say renault on the display, caraudiosecurity told me that you can't get the display, only steering controls whatever adapter you use on the 197

Theres a £20-30 difference between the alpine or connects2 adapters so if they only have the same functions i might aswell go with the connects2

Last edited:
Yes my stereo has sub display out! It's a special connector on the back!

I spoke to Alpine and they said my car was compatible with that lead and headunit and put it down to a faulty lead.

I'v done the speakers all around and tweeters, speakers are hertz and have an alpine head unit! Dont get me wrong, the sound is good but i wanted a sub but was worried about the car developing too many rattles! the lot cost me around £500 fitted. if that helps

Yes my stereo has sub display out! It's a special connector on the back!

I spoke to Alpine and they said my car was compatible with that lead and headunit and put it down to a faulty lead.

Good luck next time & please report back, i do hope it works, the connects2 leads are cheaper so id love to find out if the alpine leads are really worth the extra money before deciding which to go for

Similar Thread Suggestions