Horn issue - need it for MOT! (check this first)

Discussion in 'Interior and Audio' started by Heppy997, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Heppy997

Heppy997 Paid Member

Huddersfield
    clio 197
    Right lads, my 197 failed its MOT on a few things (7 to be exact), I've managed to fix them all bar one: the horn. Normally I wouldn't care (its just one of those Renault things) but I need it through the MOT. The horn itself is fine as I have tested it off the car, but there is no power to it. The switch on the steering wheel seems fine, contacts ok and immediate wiring is ok. Fuse is intact. Checked the clock spring cable in the squib, seems fine. Only thing i haven't checked is if there is 12v at the fuse...

Does anyone have any ideas? Is there a relay for it?

At this point I'm thinking of just wiring up my own switch on the dash and running a new wire to it just to pass the MOT as its driving me insane. Especially as i have already spent weeks sorting all the other problems (x2 ball joints, shocks, brake rebuild etc etc etc.).

The buttons for the trip computer also do not work and I have swapped the stalk all to no avail (couldn't be that simple could it:sleeping:), not sure if this could be related?

2. trackspec197

trackspec197 Paid Member

Worcester
    Clio 197 BMW 320 M Sport
    Yes. Remove the stalk and double check the prongs aren't bent back. I spent ages checking power to fuse, power to horn, earths etc and it was a 2 minute job. The prongs get bent and breaks the contact if they have been put back incorrectly. Hope that helps

Big Ben likes this.
  3. Heppy997

Heppy997 Paid Member

Huddersfield
    clio 197
    @trackspec197 which prongs are those? Inside the wiper stalk?

4. trackspec197

trackspec197 Paid Member

Worcester
    Clio 197 BMW 320 M Sport
    Yes mate. Remove the steering column surround and there are 1 or 2 torques screws holding the stalk in place. Unclip the connector, in screw it and there are prongs on the end of th stalk that mesh against contacts in the column. Sometimes these prongs bend the wrong way when they have been previously removed and put back wrong. They can bend and avoid contact.

5. Heppy997

Heppy997 Paid Member

Huddersfield
    clio 197
    Thank you, I'll give it a try. Did that also fix your horn problem too @trackspec197?

6. trackspec197

trackspec197 Paid Member

Worcester
    Clio 197 BMW 320 M Sport
    Yes mate. I tried literally everything and that was the problem.

7. Heppy997

Heppy997 Paid Member

Huddersfield
    clio 197
    Jimmy and Big Ben like this.
  8. trackspec197

trackspec197 Paid Member

Worcester
    Clio 197 BMW 320 M Sport
    No worries mate. Glad I could help!

Jimmy and Heppy997 like this.
  9. Deer_Dodger

Deer_Dodger Paid Member

Just did the same with mine, genius! I now have a horn again. Sadly I’ve already ordered a new squib

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. trackspec197

trackspec197 Paid Member

Worcester
    Clio 197 BMW 320 M Sport
    Admin can we pin this post please? Seems this has helped a couple of people today!

11. Heppy997

Heppy997 Paid Member

Huddersfield
    clio 197
    Good idea, think a few people have this issue. Just be careful with the contacts bending them back etc, as one of mine has just snapped off...:expressionless:

12. Foxspeed

Foxspeed "the new red baron" Moderator

sorted

trackspec197 likes this.