Hi, thinking about buying a 197?

How long did you wait before you found it ?
Can't be many of them left in that colour/condition and mileage .
2011 I first started getting into Renault Sports, after being brought up on fast Fords then 10 years on Subaru Imprezas I wanted a change. I was getting more and more into bikes so thought a hot hatch would fill the day to day routine. Always read the EVO magazine and they rated the Clio Trophy only problem was I don't do red cars. Whilst passing my local Renault garage I saw this brightly coloured Clio with Recaros driven by one of the mechanics and later realised it was a LY R27, so the search was on. Got speaking to a few people and they told me about the gearbox issues of the 197 and to stay clear of them, slightly dissapointed I turned my search for a 182 Cup (Racing Blue 54 plate with 12k miles bought Oct 2011) which I found after about 6 months of looking. I was happy with the 182 but the 197 was still niggling away at the back of my mind so around 2013 I started the search again, 2014 found one and joined the forum for more info but it was sold by the time I'd made my mind up on it. I knew what condition and mileage I wanted and actually prefer the front end of the 197 to the 200 so time was ticking to find a low mileage 197. All in around 3 years to find my beloved R27 and still have my 182 Cup (now on 36k) as I can't bare to part with it. I quess that's what Renaults do to you.

Sorry about the long story.

Reactions: ///M and wanger
2011 I first started getting into Renault Sports, after being brought up on fast Fords then 10 years on Subaru Imprezas I wanted a change. I was getting more and more into bikes so thought a hot hatch would fill the day to day routine. Always read the EVO magazine and they rated the Clio Trophy only problem was I don't do red cars. Whilst passing my local Renault garage I saw this brightly coloured Clio with Recaros driven by one of the mechanics and later realised it was a LY R27, so the search was on. Got speaking to a few people and they told me about the gearbox issues of the 197 and to stay clear of them, slightly dissapointed I turned my search for a 182 Cup (Racing Blue 54 plate with 12k miles bought Oct 2011) which I found after about 6 months of looking. I was happy with the 182 but the 197 was still niggling away at the back of my mind so around 2013 I started the search again, 2014 found one and joined the forum for more info but it was sold by the time I'd made my mind up on it. I knew what condition and mileage I wanted and actually prefer the front end of the 197 to the 200 so time was ticking to find a low mileage 197. All in around 3 years to find my beloved R27 and still have my 182 Cup (now on 36k) as I can't bare to part with it. I quess that's what Renaults do to you.

Sorry about the long story.
One Passionate guy! Your in to your bikes too.

One Passionate guy! Your in to your bikes too.
Yeah was a Suzuki man, SV 650S, GSXR600 K7, GSXR1000 K8 then bought a 2009 crossplane Yamaha R1 which I've had for a few years now and have started tracking it. Test rode a 899 Ducati Panigale recently but hated it, beautiful bike though. What you riding yourself?

Yeah was a Suzuki man, SV 650S, GSXR600 K7, GSXR1000 K8 then bought a 2009 crossplane Yamaha R1 which I've had for a few years now and have started tracking it. Test rode a 899 Ducati Panigale recently but hated it, beautiful bike though. What you riding yourself?
Love bikes! I had GSXR 600k6 loved it, I wish I'd never sold it. Had ktms for few years then went back to road bikes with and RSV Mille factory. Didn't really get on with it tried yam FZ1 N and instantly loved it so I bought one. One of my mates has a GSXR 1000 k8 with some work done and it's absolutely amazing!

Bikes, now we're talking! I started as a Suzuki man, rgv 250 banana arm then a gsxr 600 K4. Had a road bike sabbatical due to kids but I've always ridden off road. I got a husaberg FE450 and a husqvarna 701.

Bikes, now we're talking! I started as a Suzuki man, rgv 250 banana arm then a gsxr 600 K4. Had a road bike sabbatical due to kids but I've always ridden off road. I got a husaberg FE450 and a husqvarna 701.
I didn't like serviceing the ktms every month and repairing it every fortnight. Mine you the repairs were though lack of talent.

Reactions: wanger
Got back into biking last year after a 10 year lay off last bike was a gsxr 1000 k2
wrist's ,back & knee's are a bit worn now so got a ktm 950 supermoto going mad at the moment waiting
to get back out on it
going to be more of a problem now iv'e got the 197

I loved my 600 K4. Right weapon ! Just found myself going to quickly everywhere and I needed a garage building so it went I spent the money wisely.

Excellent news, really glad you found one! Not taken so long in the end :wink: I take it that it has the spec you were after - any more details??

Excellent news, really glad you found one! Not taken so long in the end :wink: I take it that it has the spec you were after - any more details??
To be honest I was looking for one without all the bells and whistles. It's totally standard no mods and no extras. Only took about a month too.

Reactions: Jimmy