help needed! how to unlatch bonnet from outside?

I've done a very silly mistake. I took out the battery after locking the doors and then closed the bonnet. Then I tried the door lock on the passenger side and it just turns without catching.

So now I cant enter the car to unlatch the bonnet.

My nosegrille is loose and i can probably take it off. Would it be possible to unlatch the bonnet through there?

Still kicking myself for such a stupid mistake.

Any help much appreciated!

It may be possible to get a screwdriver onto the bonnet catch by taking the grill out. Failing that, you might have to just smash the window to get in I'm afraid.

Just ask for help in your local Polish community. I'm sure they can help you out here. :wink:

Just ask for help in your local Polish community. I'm sure they can help you out here. :wink:

I'm sure the Polish are equally as complimentary towards the Germans, especially after your little 'holiday' West in the 40's :sean:

I'm speaking out of experience. These guys are very innovative when it comes to opening cars without damaging them...if they actually want to.

I've some Polish buddies. UWAGA! :wink:

But your comment reminds me of something.

Reactions: Sean197
I'm speaking out of experience. These guys are very innovative when it comes to opening cars without damaging them...if they actually want to.

I've some Polish buddies. UWAGA! :wink:

But your comment reminds me of something.

My sister-in-law is German, we never mention the war, promise :wink:

Reactions: Marsch
Btw, sorry for derailing the thread. I know this is a very serious issue and I actually don't want to be in that situation. I really hope it works out without having to destroy anything but unfortunately can't give any assistance. I'll ask in the German community if they've an idea how to solve this.

Last edited:
From underneath either find the bonnet release cable or get a jump lead onto the battery terminals. If the bonnet release is on the left hand side take the wheel off that side then the inner splash guards the bonnet cable can be reached cut it open and pull the inner cable to release then any Clio bonnet cable should replace it. I don't think taking the bumper front grills out will get you anywhere they can be done from the front three tabs along the bottom one dead centre under the rib the other two in the second square in from either side. Good luck I'd go from underneath take the under tray off you might be able to reach the cable with your hand. Also heard putting power positive to the starter motor the negative to an earth point should give enough power to unlock just don't put it on the main motor the little one above or the starter will turn which will be the worst that could happen unless the cars in gear and moves forward.
upload_2018-3-8_19-51-34.png
upload_2018-3-8_19-29-55.png

Reactions: Jimmy
From underneath either find the bonnet release cable or get a jump lead onto the battery terminals. If the bonnet release is on the left hand side take the wheel off that side then the inner splash guards the bonnet cable can be reached cut it open and pull the inner cable to release then any Clio bonnet cable should replace it. I don't think taking the bumper front grills out will get you anywhere they can be done from the front three tabs along the bottom one dead centre under the rib the other two in the second square in from either side. Good luck I'd go from underneath take the under tray off you might be able to reach the cable with your hand. Also heard putting power positive to the starter motor the negative to an earth point should give enough power to unlock just don't put it on the main motor the little one above or the starter will turn which will be the worst that could happen unless the cars in gear and moves forward.
View attachment 121432
View attachment 121428

Thanks for the advice! Latest progress is I've taken off the righthand nose grille but doesn't seem to be able to see the latch.

Then I spent a lot of time and energy jacking up the car since it is parked tight to the kerb next to a busy road.

Might try to put a jumper cable to the starter motor tomorrow.

Also heard putting power positive to the starter motor the negative to an earth point should give enough power to unlock just don't put it on the main motor the little one above or the starter will turn which will be the worst that could happen unless the cars in gear and moves forward.
View attachment 121432
View attachment 121428

So where do put the jumper on the starter? Do I put it on inside the red circle you drew or avoid that red circle?

On the red circle terminal that should be directly back to the battery should have a heavy red cable to provide max power to the starter as long as you did not leave the battery terminals touching together or on something metal inside the car. Put the positive on first and make sure it only touching it and not the shielding before putting the negative on something then with the key card in your hand to can unlock the car from underneath then disconnect right away. A very simple diagram of what your trying to do the negative can be onto any earth point on the car just be carful of the large jaws on booster packs etc. and 12volt motorcycle battery would be enough to give power to unlock the doors less chance of electrical damage if done wrong and easier to work with due to size. Clamp the positive on the blade of a long screwdriver to give you better accuracy and reach. It might be a right hand front wheel off and inner guards to see and reach the terminal. The left-hand wheel off and inner guards and cut the bonnet release cable to pull it will be the safest. Google this method of providing power to unlock the car to relax your fears I don't want to be blamed for anything going wrong
upload_2018-3-9_16-12-43.png

Reactions: Pav
SORTED!!! Easier than I thought it would be.

I actually put a jumper cable on the positive terminal of the alternator, theres quite a big hex nut exposed and the other jumper cable as earth on the chassis. The car easily had juice for me to unlock it. I then put back the batt and it drove fine!

Thanks all.

The pic shows the positive terminal of the alternator, its just on the right of the sticker with a barcode. Theres a big red wire that goes to the positive battery terminal.
The alternator was so easy to reach, just neededs the car to be jacked up, no undoing of anything needed.IMG_20180312_085156.jpg