Headlight/ Indicator Stalk

When I pull on the stalk to put on my full beam, my lights flash and stay on dip. Might take a couple of pulls on the stalk to actually get my full beam to stay on. Same thing happens when I try to go back to dip.

I recently changed my headlights to projectors but I cant see this being the issue? Was wondering if the stalks in the 197 are the same as the rest of the Mk3 Clio's? I'd probably pick one up out of breakers instead of going new.

I had this problem in my mk3 and it was a HUGE pain! Luckily it just went away after a while. Just keep playing with it and see what happens?

So for the lack of technicality :tongueout:

Had the exact same problem on mine. I was told I'd need to replace the arm, but I figured if I was going to do that, I may as well open it up and have a look inside. Managed to fix it quite easily (with some guidance from a friend). Will see if I can find the how to he sent me and the pics I took while I was at it.

Found the pics :smile:

Here's how I went about it:

1. Undo 2 screws under the steering wheel. The column covers will then pop off (with some work). One will move up, the other down as shown here.
26062011108Small-1.gif

2. Remove the stalk so you can work with it easily. I don't recall having to disconnect anything at this stage - I think.
26062011109Small-1.gif

3. This is the box you'll find inside. You'll need to unclip it in a couple of places to open the box up. It's pretty easy to find the clips. I may have just used a screwdriver to prod where necessary. Be sure not to lose that spring you see towards the right.
26062011110Small.gif

4. Once open, you'll find the circuit board. At this stage, if you play around with the lever, you'll see that horizontal arm move back and forth. As it does, it causes two rollers (underneath the white block towards above the goldish strip) to roll over a contact point. This is how the mechanism works - rolls over the strip to trigger the switch.
26062011111Small-1.gif

5. Carefully remove the little white box. It's tricky at first as you'll need to ensure you don't break / lose anything, but it does come out pretty easily if you're careful. It's pretty much just a matter of moving the horizontal arm out of the way and taking the white box out.

Once you've got it out, you'll see the rollers. The reason the circuit becomes dodgy is that the rollers collect dirt / glaze over after a while (as you can see in the pic). Sand them down lightly to expose their regular gold surface - I don't have a pic of them clean, but you'll know. Reverse order to fit.
26062011112Small-1.gif

Been a good few months since doing mine and they're still working like new :smile:

Hope that helps. Seems like more of a mission than it is really. The job can take less than 45 minutes if you know what you're aiming for.

I chose to repair mine as parts are hard (and costly) to come by in South Africa. If you can find a cheap replacement, it's probably worth just buying.

Edit: For some reason photobucket thinks my last two pictures should be in a portrait format, no idea why. So for point 4. Horizontail arm is now vertical arm.
Edit again: Seems to have made them landscape again. All is well.

Last edited:
Ghost you are an absolute legend! Thanks very much for the pics. Will give me something to do over the weekend. Cheers!

No problem dude. Let us know how it goes.
I'd meant to post a 'how to' a couple of months ago but just never got down to it. At least it's up here now.
All the best!

Just remembered. There's a rocker mechanism that enables the indicators to "stick" in their position when you flip the stalk up or down. When you see it, just take notice of how it works for when you reassemble. Pretty simple, but took me a little while to figure out after not having looked before taking it apart.

No sweat. Thanks again for the other tip about the indicators. Maybe the mods could move this to the How To section for future reference?

Done this yesterday evening and everything is back to how it should be. Thanks again Ghost, the instructions were spot on!

Apologies for reviving an old thread but my clio has just starting doing this:thumb1:

You don't happen to still have the pictures do you ghost.197; as they seem to have gone missing off page 1?

Cheers :smile:

Hey shep4rd, I think the links broke while organising my album. Here you go with pics.

Here's how I went about it:

1. Undo 2 screws under the steering wheel. The column covers will then pop off (with some work). One will move up, the other down as shown here.
26062011108Small-1.jpg

2. Remove the stalk so you can work with it easily. I don't recall having to disconnect anything at this stage - I think.
26062011109Small-1.jpg

3. This is the box you'll find inside. You'll need to unclip it in a couple of places to open the box up. It's pretty easy to find the clips. I may have just used a screwdriver to prod where necessary. Be sure not to lose that spring you see towards the right.
26062011110Small.jpg

4. Once open, you'll find the circuit board. At this stage, if you play around with the lever, you'll see that horizontal arm move back and forth. As it does, it causes two rollers (underneath the white block towards above the goldish strip) to roll over a contact point. This is how the mechanism works - rolls over the strip to trigger the switch.
26062011111Small-1.jpg

5. Carefully remove the little white box. It's tricky at first as you'll need to ensure you don't break / lose anything, but it does come out pretty easily if you're careful. It's pretty much just a matter of moving the horizontal arm out of the way and taking the white box out.

Once you've got it out, you'll see the rollers. The reason the circuit becomes dodgy is that the rollers collect dirt / glaze over after a while (as you can see in the pic). Sand them down lightly to expose their regular gold surface - I don't have a pic of them clean, but you'll know. Reverse order to fit.
26062011112Small-1.jpg

Hope that helps. Seems like more of a mission than it is really. The job can take less than 45 minutes if you know what you're aiming for.

Last edited:
Brilliant first day off work today and got it done within about 15 minutes.

Thanks for the photos and walk through they were perfect.

Success! Took a bit longer than I expected. I put the White plastic bit in the wrong way round first! Oops! Then it took ages to get the case back together as the indicator bit wouldn't move freely! Took about 40 mins in the end. I should have finished in about 20 mins tho. At least it's working. Thanks for the guide!

Thread back from the dead- again! I came across this wonderfully helpful posting when I was searching for help with my clio indicator switch.

The car has been laid up for a few months, and getting ready for it's MOT I noticed that the light switch seemed faulty - when you touch it different lights may come on, or nothing at all, depending on quite how you touch the switch . Using the above helpful instructions I took the switch off, and it has a loose wire on the connection block, one of the red wires at the lh end of the block is loose. (I'm reasonably sure that it wasn't me that pulled it out as I took the stalk off). Now, the lights don't work at all! I assume the wire was loose (hence the original problem) and now it's off there's nothing going through.

Now, I might assume that the switch is ok, and it's the wire that needs sorting - at least, I'm going to have to fix the wire before finding out if I have to change the switch stalk assembly.

Any one have any experience of how to get the wire fixed back in safely? I'm afeared that if the whole loom has to be traced back and changed that lots of dosh would be involved.

Thank you for the guide, should this be put in the how-to's so it doesn't get lost?

gam [MENTION=29138]Chris91[/MENTION]