GW 197 track build

Car looks great mate, happy with the new suspension setup? Were have to have a lil meet in Mk/Bedford some time

Car looks great mate, happy with the new suspension setup? Were have to have a lil meet in Mk/Bedford some time

Thanks, its finally starting to look and drive how i wanted it to, suspension is spot on mate, very pleased. Definitely, i work in bletchley anyway but im leaving on the 18th and i wont be local much after that. you will have to let me know when you free and inbox me or give me a message if you still have my number.

I hate how cluttered up the back end looked with a rear wiper so I made a decision I may possibly regret.. De wiper.
i used an acrylic de wiper bung of eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/301708138349), it worked a treat, just slotted in and sealed in place with silicone which came with the bung. It feels pretty solid and so far no leaking so all is well . Certainly
looks much neater but I'm starting to want a cup spoiler now.

B42DB4F5-D391-4A38-BD9D-7E677EAF37DF_zpsjn0se6ks.jpg

Some how I lost my tow bar and decided a tow strap would be an easy replacement. I used a bit of m20 stainless threaded bar with some nuts and washers and this was the result.
42C7F455-3C1C-4A2E-B438-E17BFB33A5F9_zpstfy1thh9.jpg
nothing fancy but it does the job and I can tuck it away until I need it.
2D3E945C-507C-4657-A944-BFF561075747_zpsg5vz1pvd.jpg
CE119291-70BE-4868-B332-237A7A256E37_zpszywm30xu.jpg

looks good..i've always wondered whether the car would pass its mot after this rear wiper delete??would it??

Last edited:
Looks smarter mate.

Well there is a button to use the rear wiper, which obvioulsy wouldn't work, I'd be curious about this too...

My non sport had no rear wiper and passed two mots at different garages, I think they don't mind if it's done properly but if the motor etc is still there and just the wiper is missing they would probably fail it.

IIRC, the rear wiper is non-testable so you cannot fail on an MOT: not all cars even have a rear wiper. The fact you have neatly removed yours shouldn't cause you a problem :smile:

Coming to the Renault/Ford trackday at bedford on 27th of feb mate?
sorry mate i didn't see this message, i wanted to make it but i have gone to uni now so i didnt really have the time or funds to do it.

Anyway, i haven't posted in a while, mainly because I've been busy and not a lot has changed with the car. I had a slight issue with my clutch pipe randomly popping of the slave cylinder so i ended up with a mixture of brake fluids and probably moisture in the system giving me a crappy feeling pedal, me and a friend manage to buy some motul rbf 660 of ebay for around £10-11 a bottle which was a bargain, the lines were flushed completely and fluid replaced.
804AC801-0583-4D94-9CE4-D9170ABA44E9_zpsqdsdloh4.jpg

i then picked up 3 second hand speedline to add to my spare wheel to make a omplete set for track days, also won some used r888-r on ebay for reasonable money. Not to bothered about the different colours as theya re only for track, ill paint them when i can be bothered but im not sure what colour to go.
2CD96925-8F4F-4EFC-A90B-BF6C973D13A3_zpsod1mnuqt.jpg

I also replaced my gearbox mount with a powerflex black insert, when i installed it the lower half of the stock mount had fallen to pieces so that was well needed.

I made a last minute decision attend french car show for my first time, i managed to get on the CSOC stand and got hold of a 20 minute session with them, this is only my second track day, first time pushing the car in the dry and my first time at combe, i was supposed to be taking it easy (the guy in briefing scared me a little with his crash statistics), but the track was too much fun and found myself pushing a bit, i wish i had more time on track, the car was fantastic and so was the track!

Heres a few of the pics i found on fb.
A64A6FDD-EA40-40A7-AF5D-7F436996042D_zpsq8psjijh.jpg
23D7E758-92D1-4487-8020-26590A5F71C8_zpsg0ycygp9.jpg
B2A189B1-3C1B-46D9-836C-B710126937FC_zpsjmmelm0p.jpg

and a bit of onboard footage. Ignore me fiddling with my chin strap and wiping my hands, it was really hot in the car and my chin strap was irritating me lol. looks so stupid on video but nvm. I'm not sure how to embed videos so ill just post a link to youtube.

a few clear laps
[video=youtube;a7OVWSutTLo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7OVWSutTLo[/video]
last lap of the session
[video=youtube;HRPcBXUe6g8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRPcBXUe6g8[/video]

Thats all for now, booked on for a snetterton evening session on the 22nd so looking forward to that now.

Last edited:
Very good track action even though I hate helmet mounted cameras! Make me fill dizzy lol

Car sounds great.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Very good track action even though I hate helmet mounted cameras! Make me fill dizzy lol

Car sounds great.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Thanks mate, haha i didn't have anywhere else to mount it, only my second track day, borrowed a go pro of a friend and i don't have anything to clamp it to so just used a 3m mount on the helmet, i like the view from the helmet but the car just too stiff for it.

i think the resonated scorpion produces a much nicer tone and it read 88DB static so not too loud. Really happy with the car at the moment :smile:

only your second trackday? you're a natural, man! love the blipping on the downshifts.

only your second trackday? you're a natural, man! love the blipping on the downshifts.

Yeah dude, first track day was snetterton, I booked Bedford but it got canceled so I've rebooked it for 22nd at snetterton making this my second track day. Thanks man, love a bit of heel 'n toeing.

Any idea what db you got on the noise test at Castle Combe? I've got a Ktec Catback which is already pretty loud, just bought the Toyo manifold and Ktec Decat. Tad worried it may push on towards 100db now which is on the limit for Castle Combe!

Cheers :smile:

Any idea what db you got on the noise test at Castle Combe? I've got a Ktec Catback which is already pretty loud, just bought the Toyo manifold and Ktec Decat. Tad worried it may push on towards 100db now which is on the limit for Castle Combe!

Cheers :smile:

at coombe full decat scorpion resonated came out at 88db I think, at snetterton yesterday we had to rev to 5k and he said 98db but I'm nt sure I believe it was 98 tbh.

So unfortunately on my last track day at snetterton we weren't allowed helmet mounted cameras, I didn't want to waste time trying to mount the go pro so I didn't get any footage. On that session I was struggling to stay in the seat so I decided it was time to get a bucket seat and take things a bit more serious.

Since my last post I've started to strip the car, pretty much everything from the driver seat back has been removed including sound deadening, I've also fitted a cobra Suzuka with a Sabelt harness and the front will be getting stripped eventually too. I'm also trying to save for a cage but progress is slow as I'm at uni.

I done another evening at snetterton this Thursday (11/08/16), since stripping some weight out of the back the car is a lot more twitchy but I feel it was a good thing, turn in is much better, I didn't struggle with understeer as much and the r888r didn't go off anywhere near as quickly. This time I ran the rear tyres at a higher pressure as per jade developments suggestion. The higher pressures at the back and lighter rear end definitely had a positive impact.

this is how it looks inside now

E1F0F7B3-E232-4DA0-A61C-C7D8F02AB14A_zpsmxtkubox.jpg
and the temporary go pro mounting
CDC6D22B-8CA9-4A11-9B5F-3F3C2C4D8B1C_zpsn9z72fqx.jpg

The evening at snetterton was okay but the driving standards weren't great, a lot of people in powerful cars who were slowing me down in the corners and then taking off in the straights, i ended up coming into the pits a couple of times just to get away from them, there were also a lot of red flags which is far from ideal on an evening session.

Below is one of the incidents, first lap back out after a red flag and a mini blew its engine dumping its oil in the process, as i came around the corner i hit the oil and lost all grip (pretty scary), but i got lucky and manage to escape any trouble, unfortunately there were 2 caterhams behind me who spun into each other. things like this really do make track day insurance seem worth it.
[video=youtube;riNCsifk7cQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riNCsifk7cQ[/video]

Anyway! it was a busy evening, as mentioned lots of cars out and generally poor driving standards which is a shame but nevertheless it was still fun, below is one of the only clear(ish) laps i caught on video, it was probably not my fastest nor were my lines great but its the only footage worth posting, on the second lap my fuel light came on so i pitted.
[video=youtube;agUs8Qfwr3U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agUs8Qfwr3U[/video]

oh... and a little clip of the back end being twitchy, not sure what happens i probably braked more than i needed to.
[video=youtube;Yqpldbdo1F4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqpldbdo1F4[/video]

That is all for now, my plan now is to continue saving for a cage and carry on stripping the car down.

Thanks

Nice vids - enjoyed those. Looks like your going very well indeed........:thumbup1:

Back-end out moment didnt slow you down too much ! You barely even paused for thought.

"oh... and a little clip of the back end being twitchy, not sure what happens i probably braked more than i needed to."

maybe not enough heat in the rear tyres?

nice videos. did a trackday at spa-francorchamps about a week ago. had the 'problem' with the more powerful cars. basically the only time i regret the clio not having another 50bhp.

Nice vids - enjoyed those. Looks like your going very well indeed........:thumbup1:

Back-end out moment didnt slow you down too much ! You barely even paused for thought.
thanks dude, haha im getting used to it now but the big bundle of tyres on the apex made this one a little bit more scary.

"oh... and a little clip of the back end being twitchy, not sure what happens i probably braked more than i needed to."

maybe not enough heat in the rear tyres?

nice videos. did a trackday at spa-francorchamps about a week ago. had the 'problem' with the more powerful cars. basically the only time i regret the clio not having another 50bhp.

thanks, hmm im not sure, i had been out for 3/4 laps when that happened so i don't think it was heat, i think its mostly down to the stiff rear suspension and the geo, i also think i held the brake a bit too much as i turned in but im not sure.

awesome, spa is on my list of tracks i have to do at some point! its a right pain but what can you do hey, still great fun