Greg's Albi Blue Clio 200

+1 on letting it warm through for a little bit, especially on a colder day. This really does help the kangarooing and general smoothness. Just feels a bit more mechanically sympathetic to let it idle a bit before setting off - I realise that you don't necessarily NEED to do this with modern cars, but I can't see it being harmful, either.

In purely mechanical sympathy terms we differ here Jimmy.....:smile:

I'm a believer that you need the crank to be doing a few RPM to chuck up some oil / lubrication from the sump onto other moving parts and that the way to do this is: To start the car.....let it tickover for 15-20 seconds....then get the thing moving.

Im 100% a believer that 99% of engine wear / damage is done from cold....so my initial driving would be very ginger for sure.

In terms of a Clio that bucks, kicks, coughs and splutters from cold because of the mapping. The above may not be possible though !!

i drive 2 miles to work only so every year this time,I set off a bit earlier and go for a slightly longer drive to warm the car up...

In purely mechanical sympathy terms we differ here Jimmy.....:smile:

I'm a believer that you need the crank to be doing a few RPM to chuck up some oil / lubrication from the sump onto other moving parts and that the way to do this is: To start the car.....let it tickover for 15-20 seconds....then get the thing moving.

Im 100% a believer that 99% of engine wear / damage is done from cold....so my initial driving would be very ginger for sure.

In terms of a Clio that bucks, kicks, coughs and splutters from cold because of the mapping. The above may not be possible though !!

Good points made Shuv! As you say, it can be awkward/embarrassing when it comes to the Clio though :smiley:

I once read some advice re cold starts and getting the fluids flowing - it referred to race cars (let's say F1) and the fact that when they first start the engine, the driver gives it some proper big stabs of the throttle pedal. With the race engines being such well-cared for and precious units, the fact that they do this means that it is the best way to get the engine warmed up - they certainly wouldn't do it if it was potentially harmful to the engine. So the best(?) way to get the engine warmed through a little quicker?

Now, of course we can't all be doing that first thing on a morning as I'm sure it would 'entertain' the neighbours no end!! However, we could do similar, but maybe not quite so far round the rev range :smiley: perhaps a compromise for the jerky Clios :smiley:

Reactions: sevenfourate
My 2 pence here.
Not only with the Clio but with other cars too. Is let them stand there and tick over for a few mins let all the computers adjust.
Then when cold at this time of the year the 206 ( 2.0 hdi) I use to change right down the Rev range untill 70 degrees on the dash,
The Clio I don't no so well.
I normally don't go over 3k, my car burble's a lot on change and I got a really occasional pop but it was like that when I bought it.
Iv already told the other half who sets off straight away in her Audi she needs to start thinking about it cold engine.

Reactions: Jimmy
My 'love' for this car is slowly starting to fade...

1) Sat at a set of traffic lights heading home from work when I notice that the headlights are pulsing and dimming and then going back to full brightness. The RPM is stable in Torque, it's just dimming every few seconds and then coming back to full brightness. Would this be the battery or the alternator?

2) Rattles! The reason I changed my exhaust is because the silencers baffles were rattling. That sorted it, but today, driving next to a wall in slow moving traffic, I notice a rattle. It's only in the low RPM area, under 3k, but it's there, but not all the time. I tried to replicate it, but couldn't all the time. I can only hear it with the passenger side window down. Window up it's silent and drivers window down is silent also. I'm worried it's the gearbox. It had new oil in May. Any ideas?

take it to your mechanic to be checked..may be just a little thing..
dont let these little niggles make you hate your car..we all had to go through this stage where things didnt go just as we planned..
take it to a track and you will fall in love again...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy
Most mechanics around here, to be honest, don't give two hoots about noises unfortunately. Dan at SJM in Glastonbury I would trust, it's just booking it in and getting there and back that's the issue. There is a garage down the road to me that I use for MOTs but I doubt they would find an issue.

As you can tell, I have trust issues :tongueout:

take it to your mechanic to be checked..may be just a little thing..
dont let these little niggles make you hate your car..we all had to go through this stage where things didnt go just as we planned..
take it to a track and you will fall in love again...
You might get a few more squeaks and rattles though!!
Pavs right though. The little niggles are worth putting up with for the fun these cars return

Reactions: Pav
Sorry to hear you aren't enjoying the car too much at the moment... I notice my headlights dimming sometimes, although it is usually when the fan kicks in when it's warm, or first thing on a morning, when coming up to junctions and stopping. It's never bothered me really and hasn't got any worse, or better.

As Pav says, these cars have a tendency to make a lot of noise - rattles, squeaks, knocks etc. We've all had our fair share, and sometimes it seems normal to assume the worst! If you are really concerned about the noise, then perhaps it is worth taking the time to take it to SJM? At least you know it will be getting properly investigated.

Reactions: Greg0986 and Pav
Insurance renewal quote has come through from Adrian Flux, £780! £80 more than last year with an extra years no claims and experience on a car with this performance! I might as well get a faster car, and it might be cheaper!

Insurance renewal quote has come through from Adrian Flux, £780! £80 more than last year with an extra years no claims and experience on a car with this performance! I might as well get a faster car, and it might be cheaper!
I got a quote on a Bentley Continental for fun the other day, turns out it's cheaper than insuring the Clio!

What part of the country are you in ? I got a quote for my clio a couple of days back £890 but with no NCB as there being used on my van . With my NCB they said £350 .

Plus, the previous years price, £700, included the information only incident I have with a bus. I should have never told my insurance about it, I didn't even claim!

Sorted. £570 fully comp via Adrian Flux. Gave them a cheaper quote and they best it. I just saved myself £210.