Greg's Albi Blue Clio 200

Discussion in 'Projects/Progress Threads' started by Greg0986, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Big Ben

Big Ben Paid Member

Herts
    Looks great lowered. Glad you like the springs!
    I get the feeling that they would be very good on track the way they ride on smooth surfaces.
    P.s. Wish my car was that dirty:grinning:

Greg0986 likes this.

2. ///M

///M Gold Member

R27, ///M CS, Exige V6
    SO much better mate!

Greg0986 likes this.
  3. Greg0986

Greg0986 Paid Member

Somerset
    Albi 200
    After seeing the picture full screen, I went and made right and gave it a quick bath.

Feels good.

4. Sean197

Sean197 RIP Albi :( Moderator

Fife, Scotland
    Albi 197T - RIP, MK7 Golf GTD Sports Wagon
    Looks so much better without the comedy standard ride height!

Greg0986 likes this.
  5. Greg0986

Greg0986 Paid Member

Somerset
    Albi 200
    ///M, suj and Sean197 like this.
  6. Sean197

Fife, Scotland
    Looks gorgeous, some carbon or dark door bullets would suit that a treat

7. Chris

Chris Bad cop Administrator

Looks amazing Greg - nasty kurb on that rear wheel in the time them pics were taken also :worried:

8. Greg0986

Greg0986 Paid Member

Somerset
    Albi 200
    They are all like that unfortunately. Doesn't help that I routinely park down old residential streets with stone kerbs that stick out and are rough, and not concrete. Saving funds to get them redone.

I got two of them repainted a few months ago, yet it was a **** job and they are starting to peel.

As I was washing the car yesterday, the alloys are the one thing that lets it down now :worried:

9. Greg0986

Greg0986 Paid Member

Somerset
    Albi 200
    So after having a lovely holiday in Devon in the 33c heat...

I had to go down a resurfaced road with iron works sunk into the ground. The result? One destroyed damper...

Ordered 2 replacements on Wednesday from Renault Parts Direct, they arrived today. I decided to try and fit them myself as I had already paid the garage £300 for the top mounts and springs 2 weeks ago.

I set to it at 2 and was finished at 5, so 3 hours to do one side. It was actually surprisingly easy, a total of 6 bolts, compress the springs, give the hub a few (many) taps and simply swap over.

I just wish I knew how to do it 2 weeks ago, I would have saved myself a lot of money.

Oh well, you live and you learn...

10. Pav

Pav Moderator

Manchester
    albi blue 197 with boost
    well done mate on diy..hope all is ok..

11. Greg0986

Greg0986 Paid Member

Somerset
    Albi 200
    So I fitted the new shock on Friday, but it is still knocking?? It's now had a new shock absorber, grams springs and new top mounts.

It only knocks when going over speedbumps or bumps that both tyres go over. If I put the side with the new shock over a speed bump, it doesn't knock. If I go over the same speed bump with both tyres, it knocks and if I go over the bump with just the other side, it doesn't knock, so to me, it sounds like it's something that links both suspension together.

Could it be the drop link (bar that attaches to the strut) has failed?

Edit: For my and everyone elses future reference: Capture.PNG

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    sevenfourate likes this.
  12. -Eddie-

-Eddie- Missing In Action Paid Member

Belfast
    200 Cup
    I had a similar knock in my 197. I replaced the shock along with both the top and bottom ball joints before the noise was cured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg0986 likes this.
  13. Greg0986

Greg0986 Paid Member

Somerset
    Albi 200
    I've just torqued the top mount and it isn't making a sound now, so fingers crossed that's sorted it.

sevenfourate likes this.
  14. Greg0986

Greg0986 Paid Member

Somerset
    Albi 200
    Nope, still making a noise...

I find it only happens if that wheel goes over a bump. The only thing that hasn't been replaced is the drop link.

What are the chances that the new shock is damaged already?

15. Sean197

Fife, Scotland
    Unlikely the new shock has gone already. Easiest thing to do is jack up the car then get a pry bar and lever against all the bushes etc to check for movement.

16. Greg0986

Greg0986 Paid Member

Somerset
    Albi 200
    Right, so yesterday afternoon, I received my new drop link. I replaced the old worn one which didn't fix the noise. I then took the damper, spring and top mount out as a piece, stripped it down and rebuilt it. I reinstalled it and tightened everything up best I could and it was silent yesterday night, and most of today, but on the way home from work, I can start to hear it knocking slightly.

This makes me think that something either isn't or something has moved? Any ideas?

Also, the top mount can only fit one way, is that right?

17. Micah

Micah Clumsy McButterfingers Gold Member

Medway, Kent
    Clio 220 Trophy
    I feel for you Greg, it's heartbreaking chasing knocks and rattles. You change something, become hypersensitive and can't believe it's STILL happening!
    I did have a knock after my lower ball joint was done, but that was due to a bolt that wasn't torqued up enough:

3a220344b5e13d22a4278259bbd69ad8.jpg

I'm sure it won't be that simple but wanted to share just in case. Good luck!

18. Greg0986

Greg0986 Paid Member

Somerset
    Albi 200
    Thanks! I believe something isn't torqued up enough, yet I can't torque any of the bolts as they have hex centres so it just spins and spins...

19. Micah

Micah Clumsy McButterfingers Gold Member

Medway, Kent
    Clio 220 Trophy
    Spanner and socket

20. Greg0986

Greg0986 Paid Member

Somerset
    Albi 200
    For the bolts that have a centre hex bit?