Gordan the Gordini

27k as a graduate with 2 jobs. So you mean 20k as a graduate with a graduate job right..

Living at home will help though but that is alot of miles. Especially to put on a clio with an engine swap. I wouldny touch it personally once youve racked all the miles up. If you could get a cheap daily though then the clio would be awesome..

£15 a day, I'll be sure to get a derv once I get settled in the job though. I agree with you both, it is a lot of miles. The car has only done 20k at the moment so I'm not worried. It's 52 miles one way so 52 x 2 = 104 Miles. I can get 42MPG out of the Clio on VPower as it's basic stripped IE: Back seats and stuff I really don't need.

I understand once I start modifying this car, then it sorta becomes the weekend car. Too much money invested once I've done everything to have a smash on the motorway because of someone conducting a silly move or lane change. Would much rather have a smash on a B road using the car for it's purpose, although, I'd rather no smash at all lmao!

Yes Deaks, 20k one job, 7k in the other.

TB, it's a consultancy/development job for new software concerning robotic automation, which is rather new in the industry, so will be plenty of room for promotion, or so I'm told.

a7d4375bba.png

= 24,960 Miles a year, not including track days and club meets. Yes, it's derv time. Any recommendations? Looking for as cheap as possible, but not needing a heap of servicing. I can store the car away up a family members house where it can be stored in a garage and left uninsured for a while if need be, but the plan is that it will become the weekend car and continue being my pride and joy and while living at home, I probably won't need to worry about this.

At 23-25 I'll be looking at mortgage commitments and a promotion/wage increase or a better paying job, but as I said, this will be the part of my life that I'm looking to enjoy.

Last edited:
Congrats to you for getting the job mate!

Yes you will want a Meg box in it particularly if your going on longer journeys in it!

Thanks Chris, I'll look in to it, yeah!

On another note, if I'm going stage three, that means new rods and pistons, doesn't that theoretically mean the engine side of things becomes new again? Can things like the crankshafts and cams be replaced later down the line? I mean, it's not like the block is going to become worn is it? I suppose if I get it done at 25-30,000 miles and use it as a daily, it's not hugely stressful? I can only imagine the piston rings and bearings would be worn rather than high boost stressing the rods as I'll just be cruising with it. I think in some cases it might actually be cheaper to get the engine rebuilt if something goes wrong rather than trying to invest money in to a derv?

Benefit of a Stage three with these guys, according to another stage three I've seen is that it has a high/low boost setting, low being 220-240bhp. Motorway miles aren't exactly stressful on a petrol engine are they?

Forgot to add the engine gets an oil change and service every 6k.

For anyone wondering, the Stage three is a Forged F4r, not a megane engine. Rods, Pistons and Bearings all new and uprated where possible. Also includes a boost controller and a host of other toys to play with.

Last edited:
I think you're bonkers sinking that into a car that has limited appeal. Really does cut down on your resale opportunity.

I think you're bonkers sinking that into a car that has limited appeal. Really does cut down on your resale opportunity.

I can absolutely guarantee it won't be sold on, unless I'm flat broke. Resale value means nothing to me. The only time this car will leave my side is when I scrap it. Worked my way through 3 Mark 3's to get to the RenaultSport and drempt of it through my teenage years. Not a Ferrari or a Lambo, no, a Clio. Why? Because I just love them. No idea why!

Unfortunately Rogue, you've had a rough time and I REALLY don't want to go through what you've been through... I can completely understand your idealism's directed towards getting rid of it, but I just can't with mine, although most guys call their cars "she's", Gordan is a mate :wink: It's in pretty mint condition too, I wouldn't say I clean it every weekend but it is absolutely bang and dent free, although it is abused mechanically, I can assume that the new pistons and rods being put in to the engine will open the door to 60-100k miles on low boost if it's looked after, which is excellent for me as the car will probably be falling to pieces by then anyway. The Stage 3 includes all new bearings too, so it's practically new again.

For 5k, I can't go wrong to experience something mental. I fell in love with your car Rogue too, even when it was cocked up lmao! I can only imagine the top end now ...

Besides, I was thinking of getting a Motorbike to commute around town at low speeds. A little 125 or something chicken chaser like... Means no more 5 minute journeys for my car too.

Last edited:
Had a discussion with the Mrs and she's more than happy to move away from home and her job. I'll only be commuting for approx 6~ months. The idea is to get a place close to my work so I can walk or bike it in, then send the car in to be boosted. I'll end up spending £60 on fuel a week, £20 more and I can rent a crappy place and me and her can split the bills, small price extra to pay for some privacy too. Would be nice!

We all say they won't be sold on...but we all outgrow the Clio.

I just think its something to seriously consider. Regardless of what happened to mine, even if it had gone smoothly, i would never do it again. I'm not sure if it's just because I've wisened up a bit but you're about to lose that 5k. You'll never see it again plus your Gordini will depreciate quick.

If I were you, I would just buy a faster car.

Just my 2 cents worth.

7 days a week for 3 months will be a stretch but the fact you'll be able to see the end of it will make it doable.
If you want to turbo it just go for it mate. Maybe get a 172 for the commute?

I agree with Rouge. Mines been relatively trouble free but I bought a cat C turd project as I won't lose a penny when I sell it.

Speed is so relative and after a while, you get so use to it. They difference between the Clio megged and the Meg on the road isn't that different as you'd think. I think that's why people sell them as they think it's going to be quicker than they are.

Def keep your money in your pocket or at least wait till these have had a couple of conversions done.

I agree with Rouge. Mines been relatively trouble free but I bought a cat C turd project as I won't lose a penny when I sell it.

Speed is so relative and after a while, you get so use to it. They difference between the Clio megged and the Meg on the road isn't that different as you'd think. I think that's why people sell them as they think it's going to be quicker than they are.

Def keep your money in your pocket or at least wait till these have had a couple of conversions done.

I've been in Rogues when it was running 216bhp. Hell of a difference. Maybe at the top end it wasn't amazing (partially due to the leaning out I suspect), but lower end there is 200% more punch that it pulls you back. I suspect with 330bhp from ClioTurbo it'll be aimed more at the top end the same as adding more aggressive cams. IE Ford Fiesta 2.0l vs Clio 200 2.0l, the Fiesta is much torquer down low, but the clio will pull away up top. Same probably applies to the Meg Turbo vs the one ClioTurbo uses.

We all say they won't be sold on...but we all outgrow the Clio.

I just think its something to seriously consider. Regardless of what happened to mine, even if it had gone smoothly, i would never do it again. I'm not sure if it's just because I've wisened up a bit but you're about to lose that 5k. You'll never see it again plus your Gordini will depreciate quick.

If I were you, I would just buy a faster car.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I agree with Pete on this too. I was the same mindset as yourself, a LY 265 Trophy was the realistic dream car during my early 20's (although it was recently my bday and I'm closer to mid 20's now :worried: ) and I didn't plan to sell.

When in reality, at some point down the line things change...

For example, 17 months of amazing ownership, job now secured with McLaren the meg is going. New car ordered tonight.

However, it is ofcourse your hard earned money so entirely up to you - good luck with whatever route you choose.

I've been in Rogues when it was running 216bhp. Hell of a difference. Maybe at the top end it wasn't amazing (partially due to the leaning out I suspect), but lower end there is 200% more punch that it pulls you back. I suspect with 330bhp from ClioTurbo it'll be aimed more at the top end the same as adding more aggressive cams. IE Ford Fiesta 2.0l vs Clio 200 2.0l, the Fiesta is much torquer down low, but the clio will pull away up top. Same probably applies to the Meg Turbo vs the one ClioTurbo uses.

Each to their own I guess.

You never see the top end when you was in my car as it was all twisties. But now the car has a custom map on it the power delivery feels completely different.

I'm not saying don't do it, just give it some serious consideration. Are you ready to piss 6k into the wind?

You never see the top end when you was in my car as it was all twisties. But now the car has a custom map on it the power delivery feels completely different.

I'm not saying don't do it, just give it some serious consideration. Are you ready to piss 6k into the wind?
[MENTION=3203]Rogue[/MENTION] it's 5k all in with Clio Turbo. Forged Engine and Turbo with Braided oil lines etc... Doesn't seem like a bad deal for a huge increase in torque.

Won't be just 5k because you'll end up wanting a diff. Then brakes. Then a boost controller. Then an uprated fuel system...

Think of the car you could get with that 5k plus the price of selling your car! You are into m3 money, a different class of car.

Similar Thread Suggestions