Gearbox info

I have an R27 (Sep 57 reg). is it possible that it has the Earlier gearbox ratios fitted? it revs at say 4,000 @ 80mph (or there abouts). that said i have not driven any other 197 so nothing to compare with. thanks

could do, i recently took my 07 R27 into the stealers for warranty work on the box. It revved as you say before i took it in and when i picked it up they said they had installed the later version, with longer final drive. it now revs around 3200 at 70mph

I red before that everything before 08 plate has the old gearbox which includes me..

Hopefully somebody can tell me if its truth?

Is it just a case of letting the garage know and they will happily swap it?

Does the new gearbox effect performance at all? Or is it just final drive thats changed?

Cheers

The newer longer ratio box, was fitted on cars from March 2008.
Only 5th & 6th were made longer, all other ratio's were the same

petergibs -Could be either tbh from your description but this may help...

(Published in Nov 07)"With immediate effect, for more relaxed motorway driving, the Cup models, as well as the rest of the Clio Renaultsport range, feature taller fifth and sixth gear ratios, raised from 16.1 mph/ 1,000 rpm to 17.1 in fifth and from 18.9 mph/ 1,000 to 20.5 in sixth."

so later box = 20.5 x 4k rpm = 82mph

Earlier Box = 18.9 x 4k rpm = 75.6mph

MT R27 - That sounds low rpm for 70? - If the above is accurate with a longer ratio box at 70 mph you should be:

70 / 0.0205 = 3414.6 rpm

You must've be rolling down a hill! :blink:

But I have a sept 07 car and it seems to have a longer box and no record of it being replaced, so who knows :scared::blink: 3rd is the best gear anyway!!

got it wrong then, what you illustrate sounds right. good detective work, promote that man!!! :biggrin: