From BMW Z4 to Rescuing a 197

If you look at the headlights, they have a grey surround as opposed to chrome like the standard headlights. Also, the dipped beam is in an optical 'dome' rather than a reflector. On top of that, when you turn the steering wheel between (iirc) 6-28 mph, there are additional lights at the outer edges that light up to help you see as you turn the corner.

Very interesting, you know your stuff. Thank you! I might have a buyer for the Zed so I can focus on the Clio. It's had the MOT, spent £750 on 3 new tyres, handbrake cables, ball joint, battery, brakes calipers and discs, oil, bulbs.

Going to fill it with momentum and see how it's drives tomorrow!

I went from an E46 328i coupe to my 197 and I was dubious at first.

I'm so happy with my choice now! The noise, the road holding, the 7500rpm redline... All very addictive. When I first got my 197 I was finding excuses to go for a drive. Still do now to an extent...

Reactions: Blueman and Jimmy
I went from an E46 328i coupe to my 197 and I was dubious at first.

I'm so happy with my choice now! The noise, the road holding, the 7500rpm redline... All very addictive. When I first got my 197 I was finding excuses to go for a drive. Still do now to an extent...

I do like a beamer :smile:

So first of many questions no doubt. I need a code for the radio, is that a trip to the dealer? I don't have the handbook.

The keycard is trashed too it won't lock the car.

So first of many questions no doubt. I need a code for the radio, is that a trip to the dealer? I don't have the handbook.

A dealer will be able to get the code for you yeah - IIRC all they need is the reg number. Unless anyone else knows of a way to get it online somewhere??

When you say the keycard it trashed, it is actually broken, or just not working correctly? It could just need a replacement battery?? They can play up a lot when it needs changing.

I've seen guys on various Clio owners groups on Faceache posting pictures of their radio serial numbers and someone else is able to work out the code, but I've no idea how. I ended up swapping my headunit for an aftermarket Bluetooth one anyway, I don't really own CDs anymore and I rarely listen to FM radio, it's all streaming from my phone now!

A dealer will be able to get the code for you yeah - IIRC all they need is the reg number. Unless anyone else knows of a way to get it online somewhere??

When you say the keycard it trashed, it is actually broken, or just not working correctly? It could just need a replacement battery?? They can play up a lot when it needs changing.

The keycard won't be detected when I try to start the car so im spending 5 mins manipulating it until I hit a sweet spot and it allows me to start. It's in bad shape with tape holding the bottom together and it won't lock the car.

Radio I'll pop to the dealer and get it done at the same time as the key.

Renault quoted me £220 for a new keycard with programming. They want the logbook and my license which are both in the post lol. Then it takes 14 days from France. With not being able to lock the Clio and struggle to get it to detect the card when starting I'll be using the Zed until it's sorted!

Sorry to hear that about the keycard, it is a lot of money for a new one! Hopefully they'll get it sorted sooner than two weeks, and at least you have another car to use in the meantime :smile:

Renault quoted me £220 for a new keycard with programming. They want the logbook and my license which are both in the post lol. Then it takes 14 days from France. With not being able to lock the Clio and struggle to get it to detect the card when starting I'll be using the Zed until it's sorted!
That is big money for the keycard. No surprise as Renault are involved!

Good that it's not your only vehicle

Managed to sell the Zed as I needed the cash so now relying on the Clio that won't start due to the key. Going to make another thread and see what ways are around it.

Welcome :smile:
I too bought a neglected 197 and have done a lot of work to it. If you need any help drop me a pm.
Where are you located?
If you pick up a second hand key card or see if any on the bay, find someone local to you with can clip and you can reprogram the key :smile:
As for the radio, pull it out and send me the numbers on the sticker and I'll send you the code

Welcome :smile:
I too bought a neglected 197 and have done a lot of work to it. If you need any help drop me a pm.
Where are you located?
If you pick up a second hand key card or see if any on the bay, find someone local to you with can clip and you can reprogram the key :smile:
As for the radio, pull it out and send me the numbers on the sticker and I'll send you the code
Thanks mate. I'm living in Cardiff and bought the Clio from Newport. I managed to order a new key at Renault for £128 then when it's delivered in a week it's another £60 to program. The tech guy gave me a code free of charge while I was there. Good service.

In terms of the rest, it's had the MOT, needs a new front splitter, a/c blowers need cleaning out as they're weak, cambelt may need changing as I have no history of the vehicle. Needs a service too. I need help with pulling the dash trim off as the previous owner has wrapped it. That's it for now lol. See how it drives when I get the key.

Similar Thread Suggestions