First track day, advice?

Hi guys, thinking about taking the Clio down to three sisters at the weekend for its first track practice day. Cars standard atm as haven’t had the funds for any upgrades yet. Still want to get it out but thinking the pads won’t be up to scratch, tyres are newish so they should be fine. Just unsure which pads to order, seen some mintex m1144 racing pads on eBay for £65 would they be any good or? Also which gear box oil should I use going to get some new stuff in there. Advice appreciated

Gearbox oil gearbox oil - take ya pick

Reno / redline / Fuchs / Castrol - we tried a few and stuck to Castrol

Maybe worth an engine oil change if it's been a while, make sure you run it at the max mark and check through out the day

A brake and clutch bleed doesn't do any harm either

As for brake pads - Pagid RS29 (expensive), DS1.11, PBS (.haven't tried these but they are a reasonable price and used by many a racer)

Also keep an eye on your tyre pressures, once warm reduce the pressure to the recommended cold pressures. Keep checking throughout the day. Don't forget to add pressure when leaving.

Reactions: NickD
Best advice anyone ever gave me was brake fluid.
A lot of people think it’s their pads going off, without even thinking it could be their fluid boiling.

In my opinion, switching to RBF600 Dot4, will see a more worthwhile investment than switching pads.
The standard pads (assuming they’re still OEM) are more than up for the task of a uk trackday

Reactions: tombate911
pads and brake fluid will be the best thing to do, pads make one of the biggest difference you will notice, i either runs DS3000 or DS1.11 in our track 182, would highly recommend either of them, there is really no difference between the two just the DS1.11 last longer

i use DS2500 in my Raider i managed to find fade on track with them,

as mentioned above tyre pressures are key for track, I usually go for 28-30psi hot in the 182 but that weighs sub 1000kgs as the weight goes up the pressure needs to really

i have just done my first track day recently in my 197,
The car already had Yoko AD08r's on (tyres) which were awesome on track even in the wet.

Before the day tho i did a full service including gearbox oil top up, fitted braided brake lines, typ200 high temp brake fluid and changed the front pads to some performance friction ones. Plus fitted lowering springs.

Thats it.
and my god it was epic on track. Massively pleased with the braking.
I had a 172 previously and it was a million times better than that on track.

OEM pads will not hold up. My M1144's were shot after half a day, started to fade then after about 4-5 laps.

I believe the PBS pads from KAM Racing will do you good, not to expensive either. I run RBF660 brake fluid and it's spot on. Gearbox oil I used Titan Fuchs pro race. Can be a little bit rough when cold but once up to temp is absolutely silky smooth!

OEM pads will not hold up. My M1144's were shot after half a day, started to fade then after about 4-5 laps.

I believe the PBS pads from KAM Racing will do you good, not to expensive either. I run RBF660 brake fluid and it's spot on. Gearbox oil I used Titan Fuchs pro race. Can be a little bit rough when cold but once up to temp is absolutely silky smooth!

Are we talking about your first track day here?

As there’s a massive difference between your first few sessions on track, and an experienced hobbiest

Are we talking about your first track day here?

As there’s a massive difference between your first few sessions on track, and an experienced hobbiest

I done exactly the same. Booked my first trackday and then thought 'shit i need to get brake pads and bought m1144's' by the end of the day i was ordering something better lol

Did Spa yesterday with Performance Friction Z rated front pads and Brembo rear pads. Great setup, very little fade after several hard laps on them, really impressed for the money.

Reactions: Liam Gunby