FAO RUK - stearing column fire

Sorry to hear this.

The link you put up is for a 2001 car that was posted in 2005.

Why so quick to blame Renault though? It's hardly a brand new car, anything could have been done in it's life time by previous owners, garages etc to make the wiring unsafe.

That was my thoughts too. I think if its a common issue we would have heard alot more about it by now (like the gearbox's) so unfortunately this is probably just some unlucky freak accident. At least you spotted it and it didnt happen while it was parked up, the whole car could have been torched! :blush:mg:

That was my thoughts too. I think if its a common issue we would have heard alot more about it by now (like the gearbox's) so unfortunately this is probably just some unlucky freak accident. At least you spotted it and it didnt happen while it was parked up, the whole car could have been torched! :blush:mg:

think theres been one other reported on here but it was ages ago:book:

My conclusion is, it was an extremely cold night below -10 the night before, got in the car put the heater on full, condensation has built up on cold metal surfaces e.g electrical contacts and caused a short. I want to know why the fuses didnt blow before the wiring went up. Are Renault using the wrong gage wiring in this part of the car?

That's terrible, how did you put it out?

Why so quick to blame Renault though? It's hardly a brand new car, anything could have been done in it's life time by previous owners, garages etc to make the wiring unsafe.

Didnt stop to put it out, had to get little one out of the car, plus i hit the engine stop button pretty quick. Dont want to imagine what might have happened if it had decided to do it when doing 70 in the fast lane and no easy route to the hard shoulder.

The wiring in this part of the car e.g wiper switch etc are in a sealed box so not much to tinker with. Its just one of those things. Still shouldn't have caught fire though, thats what fuses are for to stop overloads etc

Last edited:
Just heard back from Renault, same problem on mine, the wiper switch caused a short

was something similar with electric window switches on megane scenics iirc....ended in a recall i think!!!

and yes on the fuse front you would think it should blow something but its surprising that they dont always protect the system :nope:

i had the pleasure of working on trucks and one maker fitted small circuit breakers...were brilliant at stopping problems but were at times far too sensitive :tongueout:anic: