F1 season 2017 comments here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing lap from him, really pulled that one out the bag when it mattered. And a nice touch giving him Senna's crash helmet at the end for equalling Senna's number of poles. He'll beat Schumacher's record too and then some.

Superb lap and made up for that lacklustre weekend in Monaco.... He does seem to be a bit up and down this season, hopefully he'll keep it all together for the rest of the year!

Great race. Hamilton had it under control until the bad luck with the head rest. Vettel is confirming himself as a whinging prick, he seriously lost it yesterday and was lucky he wasn't black-flagged. Data showed Hamilton didn't brake-test him, and his apparent unwillingness to even acknowledge that anything had happened in the post-race interviews was bordering on sociopathic. At least Hamilton now knows that all he has to do is wind him up and get under his skin and he'll lose it.

Yeah, cracking race, very entertaining. One of the most compelling ones for a long time! Good to see Stroll getting on the podium, he seems to be getting his act together.

Shocked, but not surprised, at Vettel's behaviour, especially not after all the f'ing and blinding he did over team radio last year. I really like the guy and it would be great for F1 if he was champion in a Ferrari, but that was an unprovoked reaction and it just smacks of immaturity and lack of respect. IMO, he deserved a black flag/ban - I think he got away very, very lightly with a 10s penalty. No remorse from him either, which makes it worse.

Also good to see Alonso scoring some points in the McLaren - seems to have been overshadowed with all the other shenanigans going on though :smile:

Great race. Hamilton had it under control until the bad luck with the head rest. Vettel is confirming himself as a whinging prick, he seriously lost it yesterday and was lucky he wasn't black-flagged. Data showed Hamilton didn't brake-test him, and his apparent unwillingness to even acknowledge that anything had happened in the post-race interviews was bordering on sociopathic. At least Hamilton now knows that all he has to do is wind him up and get under his skin and he'll lose it.

How the hell did he get away with just a ten second penalty??? Oh yeah, because Ferrari and the blonde haired blue eyed boy. Wish I could know how they would have applied the "laws" if it was Hamilton who behaved like that. I think it would have been quite different.

Also it sets a VERY dangerous precedent. Are we now to take it that it's confirmed and number two driver could just bump into a competitor and take the 10 second stop-go in order to move them out of the way for the number one driver?

Celebrity Death Match request... Lewis would sort him out with one back handed bitch slap right in his mouth, although I'd hope he wouldn't stop there. I hate that self absorbed little titwitch.

It has to be said though, Lewis is extremely good at winding people up. He'll see blood in Pettel now. Plus little bitch trunks has only to get one more telling off from Ferrari International Assistance before he gets a race ban for his continued dickish behaviour.

"who me? what did I do?"

Reactions: peter and Jimmy
Yeah, cracking race, very entertaining. One of the most compelling ones for a long time! Good to see Stroll getting on the podium, he seems to be getting his act together.

Shocked, but not surprised, at Vettel's behaviour, especially not after all the f'ing and blinding he did over team radio last year. I really like the guy and it would be great for F1 if he was champion in a Ferrari, but that was an unprovoked reaction and it just smacks of immaturity and lack of respect. IMO, he deserved a black flag/ban - I think he got away very, very lightly with a 10s penalty. No remorse from him either, which makes it worse.

Also good to see Alonso scoring some points in the McLaren - seems to have been overshadowed with all the other shenanigans going on though :smile:

It's a shame with all the goings on that Stoll's excellent performance has been overshadowed and as for Alonso, he's been wringing the neck of that car since he went back to McLaren, fully deserved to get them finally off and running with yet another superb drive.

How the hell did he get away with just a ten second penalty??? Oh yeah, because Ferrari and the blonde haired blue eyed boy. Wish I could know how they would have applied the "laws" if it was Hamilton who behaved like that. I think it would have been quite different.

Also it sets a VERY dangerous precedent. Are we now to take it that it's confirmed and number two driver could just bump into a competitor and take the 10 second stop-go in order to move them out of the way for the number one driver?

Celebrity Death Match request... Lewis would sort him out with one back handed bitch slap right in his mouth, although I'd hope he wouldn't stop there. I hate that self absorbed little titwitch.

It has to be said though, Lewis is extremely good at winding people up. He'll see blood in Pettel now. Plus little bitch trunks has only to get one more telling off from Ferrari International Assistance before he gets a race ban for his continued dickish behaviour.

"who me? what did I do?"

Nikki Lauda said the next time Lewis should hit Vettel "not with his car, but with his fist" LOL

The stewards said they thought about a black-flag but "didn't want to interfere with the championship battle". So basically you can do what you like and get a lesser penalty if you're fighting for the title. Absolutely mind-blowing that the stewards would admit that.
Can't stand Vettel or Ferrari, and now that they've been slowed down by having to remove the auxiliary oil tank (they were feeding oil into the combustion chamber and burning it as fuel to get extra power) I've never wanted Hamilton to win the title more.

Nikki Lauda said the next time Lewis should hit Vettel "not with his car, but with his fist" LOL

The stewards said they thought about a black-flag but "didn't want to interfere with the championship battle". So basically you can do what you like and get a lesser penalty if you're fighting for the title. Absolutely mind-blowing that the stewards would admit that.
Can't stand Vettel or Ferrari, and now that they've been slowed down by having to remove the auxiliary oil tank (they were feeding oil into the combustion chamber and burning it as fuel to get extra power) I've never wanted Hamilton to win the title more.

My GOD mate, I didn't know that about the black flag. Thoroughly weak leadership when it comes to Ferrari yet again. That says to me if it was Lewis it would have been a black flag for sure. Absolutely stunned they would even make such a decision let alone admit it!

My GOD mate, I didn't know that about the black flag. Thoroughly weak leadership when it comes to Ferrari yet again. That says to me if it was Lewis it would have been a black flag for sure. Absolutely stunned they would even make such a decision let alone admit it!

German paper reporting it - http://www.skysports.com/f1/live-blog/30104/10034948/f1-gossip-column

Also, the comments from Arrivabene are ridiculous, claiming they don't know why Vettel was given a penalty. No wonder he feels he can do what he likes and get away with it, it was exactly the same at Red Bull when Christian Horner had his tongued wedged up Vettel's arse and let him virtually run the team from his cockpit.

German paper reporting it - http://www.skysports.com/f1/live-blog/30104/10034948/f1-gossip-column

Also, the comments from Arrivabene are ridiculous, claiming they don't know why Vettel was given a penalty. No wonder he feels he can do what he likes and get away with it, it was exactly the same at Red Bull when Christian Horner had his tongued wedged up Vettel's arse and let him virtually run the team from his cockpit.

Could not agree more mate. Added to the fact that he comes across as an absolute slime ball :smiley:

Reactions: Sean197
The sad thing about it all, is that it takes away from what was a brilliant weekend of 'racing' There was some genuinely exciting overtakes and battles, and unpredictable results - if it wasn't for Vettel's toys being lobbed out of the pram at Hamilton, you could have used this weekend as an advert for how good F1 can be.

Instead, we're left with the aftermath of a moment of red mist. Or 'rosso' mist :smirk:

Reactions: Sean197
The sad thing about it all, is that it takes away from what was a brilliant weekend of 'racing' There was some genuinely exciting overtakes and battles, and unpredictable results - if it wasn't for Vettel's toys being lobbed out of the pram at Hamilton, you could have used this weekend as an advert for how good F1 can be.

Instead, we're left with the aftermath of a moment of red mist. Or 'rosso' mist :smirk:

True, it was absolute madness. Although it got to the point where I was thinking "come on guys, can we get a few clean laps now and get the race started"

:smiley:

It was like it was a ten lap sprint or something!

I did really enjoy the lack of grip they had all weekend though. Some amazing moments where drivers were just about hanging on and keeping it out of the wall. The on board shots of Massa sliding three times round the same corner was one of the highlights of the year for me. Unreal car control and shows he's still got what it takes.

True, it was absolute madness. Although it got to the point where I was thinking "come on guys, can we get a few clean laps now and get the race started"

It was like it was a ten lap sprint or something!

I did really enjoy the lack of grip they had all weekend though. Some amazing moments where drivers were just about hanging on and keeping it out of the wall. The on board shots of Massa sliding three times round the same corner was one of the highlights of the year for me. Unreal car control and shows he's still got what it takes.

Yeah there were some genuinely great moments over the weekend, a lot to celebrate and admire. Stroll could easily have bottled it over those last few laps, especially on that track, but he held it together and I think it'll do his confidence a lot of good. A good showing of skill and ability from a lot of the drivers.

Yeah there were some genuinely great moments over the weekend, a lot to celebrate and admire. Stroll could easily have bottled it over those last few laps, especially on that track, but he held it together and I think it'll do his confidence a lot of good. A good showing of skill and ability from a lot of the drivers.

Stroll has looked a completely different driver since he got a better result in his home GP. For all his dad's money has got him where he is, it's nice to see a bit more of the form he showed early in his career coming out.

Reactions: Micah
Stroll has looked a completely different driver since he got a better result in his home GP. For all his dad's money has got him where he is, it's nice to see a bit more of the form he showed early in his career coming out.

i've read he had a test at the F1 track in austin with a 2014 williams. they let him drive with his set up and then with massa's set up. what williams did was let young stroll experiment with "generic things that are common to most racing cars". in other words, stroll sr. has bought his son track time in order for williams to give lance a crash course (pun not intended), in how to set up a race car. he will be doing more exclusive test days, in between every grand prix till the end of the season.

vettel ... just imagine every other driver in the field doing what he did yesterday ... one race ban and a hefty fine, no doubt.
and then later not admitting he did anything wrong like a spoilt little child.

Reactions: Jimmy and Sean197
i've read he had a test at the F1 track in austin with a 2014 williams. they let him drive with his set up and then with massa's set up. what williams did was let young stroll experiment with "generic things that are common to most racing cars". in other words, stroll sr. has bought his son track time in order for williams to give lance a crash course (pun not intended), in how to set up a race car. he will be doing more exclusive test days, in between every grand prix till the end of the season.

vettel ... just imagine every other driver in the field doing what he did yesterday ... one race ban and a hefty fine, no doubt.
and then later not admitting he did anything wrong like a spoilt little child.

Totally agree Peter, I've had a very low opinion of him since Multi 21 but what he did yesterday goes beyond what he's done before. You simply can't behave like that. And it seems the general consensus is very much of the same opinion. You're right, ANYONE else would have been treated much more harshly, although I'm convinced being a Ferrari driver helps a lot in these situations.

As for Stroll, some people don't like that his dad has paid his way into the drive he has now, but the way I see it, if you can why not? The problem for Lance was that he was over driving the car I think. Now he's had a couple of good races behind him it seems like he's relaxed into it a lot more. Some people have lots and lots of money, I can live with that if it's not gained by shady means. All credit to him and I'll be happy to see him do well. Look how thrilled he was yesterday too. Enjoyed seeing it.

Totally agree Peter, I've had a very low opinion of him since Multi 21 but what he did yesterday goes beyond what he's done before. You simply can't behave like that. And it seems the general consensus is very much of the same opinion. You're right, ANYONE else would have been treated much more harshly, although I'm convinced being a Ferrari driver helps a lot in these situations.

As for Stroll, some people don't like that his dad has paid his way into the drive he has now, but the way I see it, if you can why not? The problem for Lance was that he was over driving the car I think. Now he's had a couple of good races behind him it seems like he's relaxed into it a lot more. Some people have lots and lots of money, I can live with that if it's not gained by shady means. All credit to him and I'll be happy to see him do well. Look how thrilled he was yesterday too. Enjoyed seeing it.

yeah, the kid got a lot of stick for his on track behaviour (not entirely unjustified). must have affected his driving even more. these williams tests between grand prix, just show that these rookies need track time. a grand prix weekend is just too hectic for them to settle/calm down and come up with a satisfactory set up of the car. i'm just wondering, is it giving him an unfair advantage?

true, very few get to F1 without (enormous) financial backing. even niki lauda bragged himself into getting a loan to go F1 racing. it's just that stroll sr. is resetting the goal posts by a million 'miles' (this time, pun intended).

yeah, the kid got a lot of stick for his on track behaviour (not entirely unjustified). must have affected his driving even more. these williams tests between grand prix, just show that these rookies need track time. a grand prix weekend is just too hectic for them to settle/calm down and come up with a satisfactory set up of the car. i'm just wondering, is it giving him an unfair advantage?

true, very few get to F1 without (enormous) financial backing. even niki lauda bragged himself into getting a loan to go F1 racing. it's just that stroll sr. is resetting the goal posts by a million 'miles' (this time, pun intended).

See, I'm one of those that really hates how the big business has pushed their way into the sport and made the costs spiral out of control meaning testing is now limited to a few days and not the "whenever you like" situation we had in the not so distant past.

I actually think if they were allowed to test more, the sport would benefit all round. But yeah, I'm sure it's helping his driving.

I also agree with your "not entirely unjustified", but to be fair, when I was his age, I'd have struggled to get round a lap let alone a GP distance!

I also agree with your "not entirely unjustified", but to be fair, when I was his age, I'd have struggled to get round a lap let alone a GP distance!

yup. we too often forget that what these guys do is utterly exceptional.

you know, first time i drove the clio on track, i really had to concentrate hard on when to shift gear. you would think that after driving a manual for more than thirty years it should be an automatism. the levels of concentration these guys go to, just insane.

yup. we too often forget that what these guys do is utterly exceptional.

you know, first time i drove the clio on track, i really had to concentrate hard on when to shift gear. you would think that after driving a manual for more than thirty years it should be an automatism. the levels of concentration these guys go to, just insane.

It's a good point Peter. And I think that's something that's missing from the sport. I know it's always easy to look back fondly but when I first started watching F1 in the early 80's and through most of the 90's you could SEE that these were special people.

That's why I really enjoyed the lack of grip in Baku. It showed their incredible level of car control much better than what we've seen for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar Thread Suggestions