F1 season 2017 comments here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty good race, most eventful of the season so far. Ferrari seem to genuinely have good pace in comparison to Merc, so hopefully it means a season-long battle for the WC.

I thought Alonso raced well, he gave it everything, but it must be so demoralising to be chasing round at the back of the pack.

I didn't see the post-race stuff so I don't know if anything was said about why Bottas seemed so slow?? Pretty mediocre stuff from him though, and could have ruffled Hamilton's feathers when he 'let him through'...

Pretty good race, most eventful of the season so far. Ferrari seem to genuinely have good pace in comparison to Merc, so hopefully it means a season-long battle for the WC.

I thought Alonso raced well, he gave it everything, but it must be so demoralising to be chasing round at the back of the pack.

I didn't see the post-race stuff so I don't know if anything was said about why Bottas seemed so slow?? Pretty mediocre stuff from him though, and could have ruffled Hamilton's feathers when he 'let him through'...

Bottas overheated his rear tyres, causing high pressures.

Bottas overheated his rear tyres, causing high pressures.

Ah ok, thanks Sean. They said in commentary that he might have had an issue.

On another note, I'm glad that Renault seem to be on the up - well, Hulkenberg at least - not sure how long Palmer will last, I thought he was fortunate to be retained for this year, but he doesn't seem to cover himself in glory...

Ah ok, thanks Sean. They said in commentary that he might have had an issue.

On another note, I'm glad that Renault seem to be on the up - well, Hulkenberg at least - not sure how long Palmer will last, I thought he was fortunate to be retained for this year, but he doesn't seem to cover himself in glory...

I think Palmer, Eriksson and Raikkonen have no businesses being in F1 at the moment. Palmer is a whinging tosser, a lot like his arsehole of a dad in fact.

Reactions: Micah and ///M
I think Palmer, Eriksson and Raikkonen have no businesses being in F1 at the moment. Palmer is a whinging tosser, a lot like his arsehole of a dad in fact.

Ha, not a fan of the Palmer clan then Sean :smile:

Yeah, wouldn't surprise me if none of those three are in F1 next year. I agree with you that Ferrari have kept Kimi because he's a safe second driver to Vettel - he'll score points, but won't trip up his teammate's championship chances. IIRC Vettel had a lot to say about them keeping Raikkonen on for this year??

Reactions: Sean197
Agree with Sean, those three really shouldn't be on the grid. Kimi especially he's not deserving of such a top drive, but Seb does like a proper number two.

Marc doing their usual rabbit caught in the headlights routine when it comes to strategy calls. Lewis really shouldn't have done what he did, he should have just pulled in behind Bottas. Deserved the penalty sadly, but I don't think it made much difference as Seb was fully in control.

Max's brakes was a proper sketchy one, shame to be robbed of watching him being brilliant again.

All in all, the season is set up to be a good one so far.

Reactions: Sean197
Ha, not a fan of the Palmer clan then Sean :smile:

His dad used to do the co-commentary and then the Ted Kravitz role in the early-mid 90's after James Hunt died, and he was unbelievably boring. Aside from that, while racing for numerous back-markers in the 80's, he was a qualified dentist and insisted on being referred to as Dr Palmer in the pits. :ban: So no, I've no love for him! As for Jolyon, firstly he has a made-up name. Secondly, it took him 4 seasons to win the GP2 title, the same as Pastor Maldonado... maybe his dad is giving Enstone free check-ups or fillings or something? because he's not at Renault on merit!

Reactions: Micah and Foxspeed
Agree with Sean, those three really shouldn't be on the grid. Kimi especially he's not deserving of such a top drive, but Seb does like a proper number two.

Marc doing their usual rabbit caught in the headlights routine when it comes to strategy calls. Lewis really shouldn't have done what he did, he should have just pulled in behind Bottas. Deserved the penalty sadly, but I don't think it made much difference as Seb was fully in control.

Max's brakes was a proper sketchy one, shame to be robbed of watching him being brilliant again.

All in all, the season is set up to be a good one so far.

I struggle with any love for Max, as he's at Red Bull and I just don't have the words to describe my loathing for them!
Agree re. Vettel, I'd like to see Perez being given a chance at Ferrari as I think he deserves another chance at a top team, but I think Vettel-Kimi suits everyone. However, if Ferrari lose the Constructor's by a few points and Kimi spends the season finishing 4th-5th, I think he'll be gone.

I struggle with any love for Max, as he's at Red Bull and I just don't have the words to describe my loathing for them!
Agree re. Vettel, I'd like to see Perez being given a chance at Ferrari as I think he deserves another chance at a top team, but I think Vettel-Kimi suits everyone. However, if Ferrari lose the Constructor's by a few points and Kimi spends the season finishing 4th-5th, I think he'll be gone.

I'm all over Max mate, he's just so bloody good. Love watching him. Car control is through the roof.

Perez or Sainz in the other Ferrari for me. Kimi simply doesn't deserve it. Seb just needs a whipping boy to be happy. As soon as someone puts it up him the bottom lip comes out. He certainly couldn't have dealt with the situ Lewis had with Nico.

Good rant about Jolyon. Mrs M calls him "Joe, Lee & Palmer" like Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

Reactions: Micah and Foxspeed
As much as he might be divisive, I think Verstappen is 'the future' for F1 - he's bound to be champion, and a young one at that, either with Red Bull, or when the top team of the moment get hold of him. He is talented, he loves to race and he's one of those personalities that could attract new fans to the sport. As much as Alonso is a great driver and popular with the longer-time fans, an older driver doesn't appeal as much to younger, new/potential followers to the sport (as that seems to be what the new management want from it).

P
As much as he might be divisive, I think Verstappen is 'the future' for F1 - he's bound to be champion, and a young one at that, either with Red Bull, or when the top team of the moment get hold of him. He is talented, he loves to race and he's one of those personalities that could attract new fans to the sport. As much as Alonso is a great driver and popular with the longer-time fans, an older driver doesn't appeal as much to younger, new/potential followers to the sport (as that seems to be what the new management want from it).
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on Verstappen. As for Alonso I think I'm one of the longer-time fans you refer to. I've been a McLaren supporter for 30+ years & it's galling to see him with that Honda power unit underperforming so badly. You can see Fernando still has the racer's instincts from some of his moves. I agree teams probably want the younger up and coming talent, but I would love to see Alonso in a competitive car again. Especially if it was a competetive McLaren! I can live in hope!

P

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on Verstappen. As for Alonso I think I'm one of the longer-time fans you refer to. I've been a McLaren supporter for 30+ years & it's galling to see him with that Honda power unit underperforming so badly. You can see Fernando still has the racer's instincts from some of his moves. I agree teams probably want the younger up and coming talent, but I would love to see Alonso in a competitive car again. Especially if it was a competetive McLaren! I can live in hope!

I do agree with you on Alonso, Johnny - I'm a fan as well and would also like to see him back in a competitive car. It's such a waste him tooling around in that Mclaren. I thought he might have been in with a shout for Driver of the Day with that performance in Bahrain.

I just like to see the very best drivers pushing themselves to the very limit of their abilities. This is why I'm such a fan of Max. He's just amazing to watch.

Same with Fernando, same with Lewis.

Sauber set for Honda engines next year. Just when you thought Sauber couldn't get any worse - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129141/sauber-close-to-sealing-2018-honda-deal A shame as they had one of my all-time best-looking F1 cars:
4998512552_65583d8476.jpg

And, McLaren/Honda are set to ask for help from the FIA in order to catch up with their engine performance - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129136/rules-breaks-to-help-honda-set-to-be-discussed

I'm sorry, but they've had 3 bloody years! And it's still garbage!

Good shout on that Sauber Sean, it's GORGEOUS! Along with the C9/C11, Sauber made some stunning looking race cars.

As for Honda, it seems it's a possibility they're about to turn a corner. 4th best time from Stoffel in the test is a big improvement and it was 6 tenths quicker than Lewis's fastest race lap. However, there's the fairly major caveat that I don't know if that time was set in a race or qualifying trim. They managed 81 laps though.

Funny thing is that they're not even sure why they got the extra reliability or performance. CRAZY situ!

Funny thing is that they're not even sure why they got the extra reliability or performance. CRAZY situ!

Even more reason for them to get outside help i.e. non-Japanese, but they're insistent that they do everything in-house, which is mental. If Alonso leaves at the end of this year then they're screwed as there's no-one on the grid to take his place.

Even more reason for them to get outside help i.e. non-Japanese, but they're insistent that they do everything in-house, which is mental. If Alonso leaves at the end of this year then they're screwed as there's no-one on the grid to take his place.

I think they're starting to realise they need some give on that standpoint!

For all they're keeping him slightly sweet with the Indy 500 (which I think is really awesome news) if the car doesn't show some significant improvement before next season, I'm sure he'll be off. And in which case, I fully agree with you, they're going to be in an even worse mess!

Crazy times. Totally understand why they made the call, you're never going to win anything being a customer of a team who is already winning things. But they can't have seen this shambles coming! :smiley:

So the man who would go as far as accusing his own team for favoritism when things wouldn't go his way is now trying to play mind games calling Kimi No2 etc. How ironical and hypocritical.

That aside, Vettel pulled some smashing laps when needed and made it work. Kimi was slow, he was packing up the front runners and they had to pit him, team orders or not, Vettel was massively quicker and deserved the win. Merc's approach would have been the same, they already said that they are thinking team orders anyway!

proper barnstorming drive from lewis! needs to make sure whatever happens has to finish in front of vettle

Reactions: Beany
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar Thread Suggestions