F1 season 2017 comments here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Alonso and it is a huge shame that he's been stuck in a mediocre car. I can't help but think he's missed his best chance now though - IF a seat opened up at a top team, would they really go for Alonso when they have other, younger talent available?? He might get one season at Merc, but I think they'd rather go with a younger prospect, long-term.

I like Alonso and it is a huge shame that he's been stuck in a mediocre car. I can't help but think he's missed his best chance now though - IF a seat opened up at a top team, would they really go for Alonso when they have other, younger talent available?? He might get one season at Merc, but I think they'd rather go with a younger prospect, long-term.

Hairy only has a one year contract at Merc.

So Seb and Alonso in the Merc and Lewis in the Ferrari.

You heard it here first!

:smiley:

Hairy only has a one year contract at Merc.

So Seb and Alonso in the Merc and Lewis in the Ferrari.

You heard it here first!

:smiley:

Good shout I'd say! Although if Seb wins the title with Ferrari he might be compelled to stay on with them? If not, he'll be out the door, especially if it's the car/team that lets him down...

Good shout I'd say! Although if Seb wins the title with Ferrari he might be compelled to stay on with them? If not, he'll be out the door, especially if it's the car/team that lets him down...

I really hope he doesn't win the title! He already has more titles than his talent deserves in my opinion!

I really hope he doesn't win the title! He already has more titles than his talent deserves in my opinion!

I'm a huge fan of Hamilton, but I hope that someone gives him a good run for his money for the title this year - for the good of the sport, I really think it needs it. I would happily have Vettel win with Ferrari, as again I think that would be good for F1 as a whole. A 3-horse race would be epic... Danny Ric thrown in the mix?? :tonguewink:

I'm a huge fan of Hamilton, but I hope that someone gives him a good run for his money for the title this year - for the good of the sport, I really think it needs it. I would happily have Vettel win with Ferrari, as again I think that would be good for F1 as a whole. A 3-horse race would be epic... Danny Ric thrown in the mix?? :tonguewink:

Danny Ric can take his big bottom lip and cock off :smiley:

Yeah it would be great to have a proper battle at the front between different teams. The rules have a least closed the field up a little on the looks of what we've seen so far.

But if overtaking is impossible, really, what's the point. DRS and passes in the pits just doesn't do it for me in the slightest. An easy way to solve that is to mandate that the cars are not allowed to pit unless they have a problem and if they do, they're only allowed to change tyres in the event of a puncture. Then they'd be forced to pass on the track and we might actually get a bit of spectacle.

The utter dicks that have run the sport for too long have regulated it into a complete sham in my opinion.

Reactions: Jimmy
Danny Ric can take his big bottom lip and cock off :smiley:

Yeah it would be great to have a proper battle at the front between different teams. The rules have a least closed the field up a little on the looks of what we've seen so far.

But if overtaking is impossible, really, what's the point. DRS and passes in the pits just doesn't do it for me in the slightest. An easy way to solve that is to mandate that the cars are not allowed to pit unless they have a problem and if they do, they're only allowed to change tyres in the event of a puncture. Then they'd be forced to pass on the track and we might actually get a bit of spectacle.

The utter dicks that have run the sport for too long have regulated it into a complete sham in my opinion.

Can't disagree with you there Mes, there is so little 'racing' it's embarrassing at times. I know that people will say 'watch this, watch that, if you want to see real racing', which I do agree with to a point (BTCC, Formula E, Moto GP, BSB etc), but F1 should be the pinnacle of motor racing, it should be THE sport where we get to see the best single seater drivers in the world RACING their nuts off on the track, not results being decided by who has the most money/best pit stop strategy.

If changes do come in to improve the spectacle, I think it will take a lot of time and a lot of red tape, which unfortunately might be too late for a lot of existing and future fans. Screw improving the social media aspect, concentrate on getting cars that can follow each other without destroying the tyres/areo efficiency.

Can't disagree with you there Mes, there is so little 'racing' it's embarrassing at times. I know that people will say 'watch this, watch that, if you want to see real racing', which I do agree with to a point (BTCC, Formula E, Moto GP, BSB etc), but F1 should be the pinnacle of motor racing, it should be THE sport where we get to see the best single seater drivers in the world RACING their nuts off on the track, not results being decided by who has the most money/best pit stop strategy.

If changes do come in to improve the spectacle, I think it will take a lot of time and a lot of red tape, which unfortunately might be too late for a lot of existing and future fans. Screw improving the social media aspect, concentrate on getting cars that can follow each other without destroying the tyres/areo efficiency.

Just sent an email to Ross Brawn demanding he takes you on as his personal advisor! Absolutely spot on with everything there mate!

Just sent an email to Ross Brawn demanding he takes you on as his personal advisor! Absolutely spot on with everything there mate!

Ha, cheers dude :smile: although it's only the same opinion that most fans have of F1 - the die-hards like us will watch it no matter what; we will grumble and criticise, but we watch it because we love the sport and always have. When you try and explain (justify) to non-fans why you watch it, you just feel like you don't get anywhere - which doesn't bode well when it's a sport trying to attract new fans.

Put yourself in the shoes of a 'new to F1' person who watched the race on Sunday - would you be compelled to keep watching the rest of the season, based on that...?

That's no fault of the broadcasters by the way, who I think do a superb job of building up the hype - I watch it on C4 and really do enjoy their coverage, I think they've got some good personnel this year.

Ha, cheers dude :smile: although it's only the same opinion that most fans have of F1 - the die-hards like us will watch it no matter what; we will grumble and criticise, but we watch it because we love the sport and always have. When you try and explain (justify) to non-fans why you watch it, you just feel like you don't get anywhere - which doesn't bode well when it's a sport trying to attract new fans.

Put yourself in the shoes of a 'new to F1' person who watched the race on Sunday - would you be compelled to keep watching the rest of the season, based on that...?

That's no fault of the broadcasters by the way, who I think do a superb job of building up the hype - I watch it on C4 and really do enjoy their coverage, I think they've got some good personnel this year.

Exactly mate.

Although regarding the coverage, I'm sick to death of the cameras being SO zoomed in you completely lose the speed of the cars. Air time for sponsors is more important than the spectacle sadly!

Exactly mate.

Although regarding the coverage, I'm sick to death of the cameras being SO zoomed in you completely lose the speed of the cars. Air time for sponsors is more important than the spectacle sadly!

Another good point, and another reason why it's hard for fans to get involved. There seems to be a lot less on board footage these days too....it's really rare that we get to see a full lap from an on board camera, unless it's the re-run of the Pole lap. I'm glad they u-turned on the radios - although if we heard even more that would be great. I realise they can't broadcast it all, but the option would be nice.

Another good point, and another reason why it's hard for fans to get involved. There seems to be a lot less on board footage these days too....it's really rare that we get to see a full lap from an on board camera, unless it's the re-run of the Pole lap. I'm glad they u-turned on the radios - although if we heard even more that would be great. I realise they can't broadcast it all, but the option would be nice.

Yeah the radio thing was yet another sign (as if we needed it) that the powers that be were not fit to do their jobs properly.

That's one good thing about the coverage these days is that you can watch from a selected in car camera via the red button. Watched a lot of races from on board with Alonso. Awesome.

Yeah the radio thing was yet another sign (as if we needed it) that the powers that be were not fit to do their jobs properly.

That's one good thing about the coverage these days is that you can watch from a selected in car camera via the red button. Watched a lot of races from on board with Alonso. Awesome.

I didn't know you could do that, although I'm assuming that's only on Sky F1??

Alonso, McLaren and Honda are to make a joint one off entry in the Indy 500 this year. This will mean that Alonso will miss the Monaco GP.

WTF???!!!

Hoping this means JB gets a run out as he's the official reserve for McLaren.

It gets better!

From elsewhere online:

Alonso also added that his entry into the 2017 Indy 500 was the first part of his plan to become the second driver in history to win the ‘Triple Crown of Motorsport’ – the Monaco Grand, Indianapolis and the Le Mans 24 Hours. Graham Hill is the only driver to have won all three events.

“I’ve won the Monaco Grand Prix twice, and it’s one of my ambitions to win the Triple Crown which has been achieved by only one driver in the history of motorsport: Graham Hill,” said Alonso. “It’s a tough challenge, but I’m up for it. I don’t know when I’m going to race at Le Mans, but one day I intend to. I’m only 35: I’ve got plenty of time for that.”

I hope they're using Honda's Indycar engine and not the piece of shit they use in F1.
Smacks of Honda trying to placate Alonso to get him to stay, although I still think he'll being in the WEC next year.

I hope they're using Honda's Indycar engine and not the piece of shit they use in F1.
Smacks of Honda trying to placate Alonso to get him to stay, although I still think he'll being in the WEC next year.

The Honda unit in Indy car is the class of the field mate. Think they have won 8 out of the last 10 at Indy. I think he should be ok. Winning team from the last 500 too. Really excited about this.

Also, I'm hearing rumours that Honda have found lots of power in their F1 engine and it's going to be a different story come the second half of the season. We'll see.

As for WEC, I don't think it will be next season, maybe the one after. But who knows. Either way, I'll really enjoy watching him in both series.

Seems very odd that McLaren would do this when they're having such a poor time of things in F1 right now. I'm inclined to agree with Sean that it could be their way of keeping Alonso happy.

I really do hope they can turn things around this season though, Alonso seems to be giving it his best and never moans about things - he just starts playing with TV cameras or sunbathing :smile:

Oh dear...
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...ation-boils-over-but-no-quick-fix-for-McLaren

No way will he be at McLaren next year.
The race was decent, Merc still don't have a clue on strategy though, they're always reactive rather than proactive. Hamilton's rather silly error cost him the win though, looking forward to the rest of the season now which I haven't done for years. Should be a good battle with Hamilton vs Vettel, sadly Bottas is already looking like a solid but not spectacular no.2 driver and I've no idea why Ferrari gave Kimi another contract, unless he's there to keep Vettel happy.

Reactions: Jimmy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar Thread Suggestions