F1 season 2017 comments here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did wonder if this was coming after what Alonso was saying post race! Of course it was bound to happen though..

Alonso has no option really, other than Williams, but that's barely a top-10 car, especially in quali. I suspect he'll give it 1 or 2 seasons with McLaren if they have Renault-power.
I hope they do go with Renault, that way I can build a Clio with McLaren livery lol

Crap race but was happy-ish with the result.

Annoyed that the RBRs had penalties so they couldn't have sorted out the two bitches in red. I think they had the making of the Ferraris yesterday. Looks like they might have finally felt the loss of the oil burning restrictions. Really hope so.

The situation with Kimi is downright embarrassing for a former world champion. Says a LOT that he's prepared to suck it up. But in actual fact, it probably says more about little Sebby.

As for McLaren and Honda... what's the betting that McLaren get their (or Alonso gets HIS...) divorce and they switch to Renault. Then Honda go with TR and RB sit there waiting until Honda comes good (still possible) and ditch Renault in favour of Honda.

Imagine Alonso watching RBR winning with a Honda in the back while he's still struggling to pick up points with their old engines?

Could be much hilarity on the way.

maclaren have been to the renault factory quite a few times these last few months....

My only comments are that as a long time McLaren fan they so need to get a decent power unit! And that I truly believe Alonso still has it & if McLaren cannot come up with the goods I so want him to find a place in a team that gives him a crack at another world championship that I believe he deserves.

My only comments are that as a long time McLaren fan they so need to get a decent power unit! And that I truly believe Alonso still has it & if McLaren cannot come up with the goods I so want him to find a place in a team that gives him a crack at another world championship that I believe he deserves.

The hard thing about the McLaren situation is that I honestly do think Ron was right. You need a works engine. They will move up the grid a little with the Renault but I can't see it gaining them much in the long run.

Still absolutely stunned how bad the Honda engine has been. It's just heartbreaking watching what is happening.

You'd have though that after three years at it - coupled with the vast experience of building both motorsport and road engines - Honda would have got it right by now. It's not as if they're new to the game...

I admire Alonso for sticking with them as long as he has, and also being relatively pragmatic about it in post-race interviews (not so much on team radio...). I'm sure the hefty salary helps, although another championship must be higher on his list of priorities.

I can't help but think a Renault would be a bit of a sideways move, as it stands. Unless they come on in leaps and bounds by next year...?

You'd have though that after three years at it - coupled with the vast experience of building both motorsport and road engines - Honda would have got it right by now. It's not as if they're new to the game...

I admire Alonso for sticking with them as long as he has, and also being relatively pragmatic about it in post-race interviews (not so much on team radio...). I'm sure the hefty salary helps, although another championship must be higher on his list of priorities.

I can't help but think a Renault would be a bit of a sideways move, as it stands. Unless they come on in leaps and bounds by next year...?

Rumour has it that the Renault deal is only going to be temporary until the new rules come in in 2021. At which point, McLaren are going to build their own engines.

This could be awesome. Or hilariously bad.

Rumour has it that the Renault deal is only going to be temporary until the new rules come in in 2021. At which point, McLaren are going to build their own engines.

I have wondered why McLaren haven't tried building their own engines now as a possible solution to the Honda situation. Though I imagine that money has a lot to do with it, and don't Honda essentially provide the finances to pay Alonso's wages? It's sad that such a mighty team are tossing a coin between two below-par engines...

Red Bull aren't doing too badly with Renault ('TAG' - gtf) engines, so I believe it would be more of a step forward than Honda could offer if they worked flat our 24hrs a day for the next 3 years. Honda's engine is a pile of shite, at least the Renault can get to the end of a GP, except for Max whom I hate anyway so meh.

Reactions: Jimmy

I have wondered why McLaren haven't tried building their own engines now as a possible solution to the Honda situation. Though I imagine that money has a lot to do with it, and don't Honda essentially provide the finances to pay Alonso's wages? It's sad that such a mighty team are tossing a coin between two below-par engines...

McLaren could 'easily' build their own engine. The issue would be the hybrid side of things, I'm note sure Renault, Merc, or Ferrari(!) would be willing to sell them hybrid units to couple to their own engines.

Honda bring $100 per year so they'll lose that, but could recoup that with prize money and sponsorship should they be higher up the grid.

Interestingly, this season McLaren have spent 225million euros per point, whereas Mercedes have spent 1.9million euros per point!

Interestingly, this season McLaren have spent 225million euros per point, whereas Mercedes have spent 1.9million euros per point!

RIDICULOUS!!!

However, the move to Renault, although it would get them more points finishes, wouldn't get them high enough up the ladder to get anything like the amount of money that they're getting from Honda. It's a really bad situ.

Exactly mate. But they won't be able to implement their own engine until 2021.

RIDICULOUS!!!

However, the move to Renault, although it would get them more points finishes, wouldn't get them high enough up the ladder to get anything like the amount of money that they're getting from Honda. It's a really bad situ.

3:45 onwards. :think:

Sainz has apparently signed for Renault and could replace Palmer as early as Malaysia, with Pierre Gasly stepping into Toro Rosso to replace Sainz. This means Honda will power Toro Rosso from next season with Renault switching to McLaren.
Alonso apparently has an offer on the table from Williams, with Kubica their back-up plan if Alonso stays at McLaren. Kubica is also wanted by Sauber.

Reactions: Jimmy and ///M
Yeah saw this yesterday.

Be interesting to see Sainz up against the Hulk. I'm getting the feeling Nico is going to get a bit of a rude awakening!

Kubica, I'd really love to see him back but I can't see it happening.

Alonso, what a ridiculous situation. Really sad if he ends up in a Williams given how far off the pace they are these days, but you make your bed...

McLaren Renault... sounds weird but I like it. Obviously I'm always happy to see Renault doing well!

Reactions: Sean197
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar Thread Suggestions