Engine temperature?

Hes saying hes fitted an 89 degree thermostat from a 182, but now his fan comes on during normal driving.

So hes saying does he need to change the fan switch to suit the new thermostat temperature and what temp does the fan come on on a 182.

At least thats what I got.

its ecu controlled...via input signal from the thermostat temperature sensor...

Bumping an old thread!

ordered a new 197 thermostat from Renault today, going to fit at weekend! Reading through this thread, do I need to bleed after installation, do I not need to bleed?

Mine sits directly on quarter. Raises to half when I'm in traffic, but will drop to quarter again after hitting 20+mph.

Nothing to worry about, only worry if it goes over half way :smile:!

Mine sits directly on quarter. Raises to half when I'm in traffic, but will drop to quarter again after hitting 20+mph.

Nothing to worry about, only worry if it goes over half way :smile:!

Your thermostat isn't working properly.

It should rise to half and stay there. Mine did what yours is doing, changed the 'stat and it was fine afterwards.

Bumping an old thread!

ordered a new 197 thermostat from Renault today, going to fit at weekend! Reading through this thread, do I need to bleed after installation, do I not need to bleed?
I would be draining and replacing all the coolant unless you had it changed in the last 2 years.

Your thermostat isn't working properly.

It should rise to half and stay there. Mine did what yours is doing, changed the 'stat and it was fine afterwards.

It's only done it since I've put breathing mods on the car, Intake and Exhaust.

I found that the engine temps dropped a fair whack, I was looking before and after with an ECU reader.

Mine was fluctuating too so I changed the thermostat which I thought had fixed it. I haven't driven it properly for a while but today when driving, it started doing it again. Will this be the coolant temperature sensor?

Mine was fluctuating too so I changed the thermostat which I thought had fixed it. I haven't driven it properly for a while but today when driving, it started doing it again. Will this be the coolant temperature sensor?

IMO I think this is normal! It's going to go up and down as the engine load changes.

As long as it doesn't go over half way or under a quarter when it's warm, where's the issue?

Besides, you shouldn't be hammering the car when it's cold and you know when it's warm, the whole interior heats up!

My temp gauge is sitting pretty low most of the time, goes up when stationary for a while but then when I get moving even driving it hard it goes back down to below the first line (like the first pic on page 3 of the 200). Ordered a new 197 stat and it will be fitted next week.

Im having issues with temp now the weather has turned colder, to add my 5p in to a well gone over topic Ill start by saying that a 75 degree thermostat seems like a dumb idea. Firstly, I always thought everything the engine is generally governed to do is based upon temperature, and all modern cars are based around keeping the temp high for efficiency. Not just this, but oil viscosity and performance is based around an engine running at 90 degrees. An engine not running at 90 in theory isnt getting oil temperatures high enough to protect properly, although it can be argued modern oils are far better at lubricating and protecting from cold. Id also be concerned about hot and cold spots in the engine, some areas will be cooler than others but again, maybe a minor point.

The only reason I can see for Renault to do this is to aid overheating in traffic. When driving hard, the load on the engine has a vast affect on temperature range, not necessarily the thermostat controlling that range. This link seems to provide a better explanation:
http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2012/04/low-temp-thermostats-whats-the-advantage/