Engine fault.

Discussion in 'Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust and Air Intake' started by John Gordon, Jun 5, 2018.

1. John Gordon

John Gordon

Car:
    Renault Clio R27 F1
    Hi,

Clio has been down on power for a while. Feel's like the VVT is not functioning. When over 4500 RPM the induction noise now sounds like I have an open filter.

I've had an engine warning light on and the status "Check Exhaust" (My car is German, this is what it translates to).

I've had the fault codes read and had the following fault codes...

P0325 - Knock Sensor
    P0340 - Camshaft position sensor "A" Circuit.

I replaced the Camshaft position sensor. The car idles and pulls a little smoother, however, the lack of power and the weird induction noise is still there.

Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks

2. Pav

Pav Moderator

Car:
    albi blue 197 with boost
  3. Dumdum

Dumdum Gold Member

Car:
    Renault Clio RS200 CUP
    If the cam sensor fault is still there it’s possible a cam pulley has drifted a little as they are friction fit, might be worth getting cam timing checked as it references the cam timing to the crank sensor and will throw up cam sensor faults as it can’t decipher between incorrect timing and the cam sensor reading incorrectly and will probably have one fault code for both

We used to get similar on the bmw engines and it would throw up one or the other cam sensor but it was the timing gears that had slipped a fraction, it also sounds funny on induction and lost power

Just a thought

Also it may be worth (and I’m not sure if you need to or not!) reprogramming basic settings... the bmw crappy Peugeot engine used to adapt itself to the fault so it still ran, but when you corrected the fault it would effectively still run the altered map until you reinitialised the auto adaptives in the engine management so it effectively relearn how to run correctly once more, even if it was a coil pack down, it was a pain in the arris as it took 40 mins and had to be done from cold

John Gordon likes this.
  4. John Gordon

John Gordon

Car:
    Renault Clio R27 F1
    Hi,

Just as a little update.

After I changed the sensor the engine warning light remained on the dash. I cleared this with the OBD2 and I set the ECU to default parameters by discharging.

The light did not come back on but the OBD2 would show the two errors coming back. I Cleaned the plugs on both the Knock Sensor and the new cam position sensor then went for a really long drive.

Low and behold... The car slowly moved its power band back to lower down the rev range and my torque/power came back. The induction roar is still there but less so, and now I've got exhaust rasp back.

So, touch wood, seem's to be ok.

Dumdum likes this.
  5. Pav

Pav Moderator

Car:
    albi blue 197 with boost
  6. John Gordon

John Gordon

Car:
    Renault Clio R27 F1
    Spoke too soon. Lights on again. This car... seriously!