Electrical Fault - Low Battery

I've been having a low battery fault come on my Clio ever since owning it! Really annoying now!

The battery its self seems fine, always starts never seems to be a problem even when leaving the car for long periods of time it will always start.

Every time I start the car, the voltage seems to be weak; the blower motor at full speed won't be as fast, the wipers move really slowly, the windows go up and down really slow too.

Until the low battery fault comes on and goes, sometimes stays on until I re start the car (the warning light for the battery comes on the dash) 80% of the time the light goes out.

It does not make a difference if the battery light goes off or stays on regarding the following -
My wipers work at normal speed, blower motor, windows all operate at a nice normal speed.

If I re start my car straight away (whilst driving along for instance) its back to weak power until that battery light comes on.

The battery warning light can come on after driving the car for 20 minutes or 5 minutes.

I have replaced the alternator with a brand new alternator and it has not made a difference at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

check voltages from battery to alternator and all junctions in between with load on, ie running with headlights/heater blower motor etc fitted, the battery light is nothing to do with the battery, its an alternator light and charging fault indicator, it could also be due to a under bonnet computer fault if its anything like a Peugeot, the alternator light is activated due to voltage sensing rather than an old vehicle with a direct wire between the alternator and light, it could be a variety of broken wires as the engine ecu will control the alternator to some degree also

Have you tried a new battery? Or can you borrow one out of something else to save buying one.
its not a low battery light but the alternator light he refers to, its most likely a charging fault due to a bad connection or a broken wire normally in French cars, im presuming this as he mentions no issues with starting at all :smile: the alternator affects all the things he mentions...

Reactions: petercronin
I replaced the genuine alternator with an OE alternator with the exact same amp readings and so on, it made no difference.

I can only imagine it’s a broken wire / strength of connection issue.

The only thing I had done around 6 months ago what made a difference was clean all the connections. Before I had cleaned all the connections the battery light never use to go off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a similar problem.

I changed the alternator because of a noise in the pulley.

they put me a rebuilt one not original, the car worked perfectly but at 15 minutes it marked the battery failure

they put me another non-original model and it was working well for 2 months, now the same thing happens again ...

Do you know for sure if you have to use an original Bosch? I find it too expensive to be a simple alternator (+ € 600)