'Disabling' a 197?

On a car with normal locks I would remove the battery to disable the car and stop it being able to be driven away, but with having the keyless entry on a 197 what is the best way to get the same effect?

How easy is it to get the cable off the starter motor? (where is the starter motor?)

Pretty sure taking the battery out of a 197 with keyless entry would yield the same effect. You'll still need your key to get in to the car to manually unlock it.

What are you trying to achieve and why do you want to disable it ?

Removing the battery will have the same effect as it would on any other car, your central locking wouldn't work and it certainly wouldn't start.

To stop people trying to pinch it 'as easily' when I go away. If I take the battery out, how do I go about locking all the doors and the boot?

To stop people trying to pinch it 'as easily' when I go away. If I take the battery out, how do I go about locking all the doors and the boot?

Boot has an electric lock so no key needed. It won't open unless the car is powered. As for locking the other doors, I presume the key you have in your fob only works for one of the doors in the car so you can get inside. You can also lock the car with that key once you've taken the battery out.

I've no idea where the key hole is for it though, I've not really looked. I assume it's on one of the door handles behind a blank.

I would keep the battery connected with bonnet up , just before you disconnect the battery lock the car with the fob , disconnect the battery and then drop the bonnet. Your key in the fob will still work in the passenger side door.

The only thing I am not sure on is if there is some automatic response (e.g unlock the car) when the battery is disconnected. I don't think there is but give it a try.

Thinking about it this may not work as it may not lock with the bonnet up. Easiest way is to locate the fuel pump fuse and remove it, not going anywhere then.

I thought about the fuel pump fuse earlier, I will have a look for that one. I would guess it is with the fuses under the steering wheel?

It will lock with the bonnet up but it will beep until you disconnect the battery because the bonnet is up.

If they want to take it, they will take it. Battery or no battery. You might slow them down by 30 seconds or so, but it will still be taken.

Just lock the car when you have the bonnet up, disconnect the battery, drop the bonnet.

Alternatively, disconnect the battery, drop the bonnet and lock the car using the passenger door.

Another way, push down on the plastic sticky up thing so it thinks the bonnet is closed, lock the car, disconnect the battery, drop the bonnet and away you go. When you need to open the bonnet, just get in through the passenger side.

If they want to take it, they will take it. Battery or no battery. You might slow them down by 30 seconds or so, but it will still be taken.

Slowing them down might be enough for them to make a bit of extra noise and be disturbed though. Plus it will also hinder the other car being taken, which is 3x the value.

Gearstick lock, wheel lock, wheel clamp and battery disconnect would alleviate any criminal with a brain. Too much hard work.