Dirt and water traps

stuey

Gold Member
Hi, does anyone know of possible dirt and water traps on the car that I need to keep an eye on? My old Mk3 Golf rotted the front wings inside out because a massive amount of crap built up behind the wheelarch liners, and trapped the moisture. By the time I knew it was too late. Any heads up most appreciated :biggrin:

you'll be ok mate, ten year anti corrosion warranty, its one thing Renaults dont do (rust) lol

I hope your right! I have seen people fighting VW with these kind of problems, and getting the big elbow. Just want to stop anything starting if possible.

VW guarantee the chassis, which is galvanised, not the bodywork, that is probably where your friends got it wrong.

I have noticed when I wash my car, I always open the doors after to let excess water run out. A lot more water comes out the passenger door, than the drivers.

The 197 isn't too bad as most of it is plastic.

Only place I think to clean well is the bottom of the rear window as dirt seams to get trapped tucked under the lip of the glass around the seal.

Not something you really want to hear when its a fast little hot hatch.. lol!
But its true, the Clio isn't that bad, as people have said, just make sure you give it a proper clean and good dry (shuts and sills etc etc)

the paint on the lip of the back bumper where the diffuser clips onto is quite poor. When I had the diffuser off to fit the exhaust it was peeling. Only covered by about 1cm of the diffuser. So i suppose clean right to the edge of the diffuser to protect it

Anyone got updates on this topic? Need to give the car a good nose over to make sure everything is ok. Going to do an oil change soon so I will have it up on the ramps.

Only place I think to clean well is the bottom of the rear window as dirt seams to get trapped tucked under the lip of the glass around the seal.

Yes i find that pretty easy to clean though

At the front of the rear wheel wells there is a "pocket" where the sideskirt terminates, ive noticed crap build up in there without fail.

Just shove the pressure washer into it and let rip, soon clears it out. I also sprayed some clear waxoyl into it :smile: