Dashboard Dipstick

Quick question about how the oil dipstick on the dashboard works, I have never checked this regularly however recently I have and could swear its changing. Currently looks like this:

MIN|O|_|_|_|_|

What's normal? When I start the car I get "OIL LEVEL CORRECT"

Thanks in advance.

Left -> right = min -> max oil level. Every "O" less means less oil in the car. If the oil is topped to max then it should look like this |O|O|O|O|O|. If there is a bit less oil in it then it should look like this |O|O|O|O|_|. If there is just enough oil in it (just a bit above min) then it should be like |O|_|_|_|_|.

It's not that accurate so you should park the car on a even road and check the oil yourself :thumbup1:

I've displayed it twice by accident when clearing my trip meter, fuel meter etc.!!! :smiley:

Wish I knew how to do it not by accident too hahaha!!!

you press either the top or the bottom button on the end of the right controll stalk when starting the engine,

i think, :book:

Right on!

excited2.jpg

:tongueout:

Quick question about how the oil dipstick on the dashboard works, I have never checked this regularly however recently I have and could swear its changing. Currently looks like this:

MIN|O|_|_|_|_|

What's normal? When I start the car I get "OIL LEVEL CORRECT"

Thanks in advance.

You are only just above the minimum level so it would seem like you need a top up, I wouldn't rely on the electronic one though, put your head under the bonnet and check the the real dipstick as electronic ones arent very accurate/consistent. They always say that if it does reach the minimum that there is already too little oil in to be 100% effective, so I tend to check it when im cleaning the car - so quite frequently lol! :oops:

Thanks for all the help guys, not too sure what's going on with it, as I could swear there was more than |O - ------| in a few days/week ago.

Running absolutely fine - shall I just keep an eye on it? Or do I need to get it looked at?

I personally use it all the time, is very useful when you don't have time to do it manually.

When the display shows "oil level correct" you just tick one of the buttons and it shows the balls. Be careful when is low, as when you have 1 ball left only, if you look it on the dipstick, is below the min level, so take a look first

Thanks for all the help guys, not too sure what's going on with it, as I could swear there was more than |O - ------| in a few days/week ago.

Running absolutely fine - shall I just keep an eye on it? Or do I need to get it looked at?

Open the bonnet and manually check, best way to be sure.

i used it today when i went out for my lunch, an came up.

Was showing |O|_|_|_|_| so checked the dipstick an surely enough its jus below minimum :glare:

gonna have to get some oil.

whats the best oil to put in folks? :huh:

Was showing |O|_|_|_|_| so checked the dipstick an surely enough its jus below minimum :glare:

Weird jamie, its like the same as mine, just suddenly changed :S

check down the side of your block dude, mine is leaking from the rocker gasket.
renault quoted me £756 to replace it but im jus gona keep an eye on the oil level and have it replaced when i have the cambelts changed an service

Will do mate thanks - any particular places to check for leaks? Common?

Not that I know of, modern engines burn a bit of oil anyway and the difference between min and max on the dipstick is just under 1L.

It does not matter what make oil you use to top it up with as long as its 5w-40 but I like to use Elf.

Checked my oil manually, all is fine

also proves the dashboard dipstick is inaccurate - now looks like MIN - |O|O|O|.|.|