Cup racer project.

930Tech

CLIO CUP groupee.
Platinum Member
I've had this shell a while now so thought it about time to start a thread.

Some of you might have seen the ebay link i put up but if not, heres a copy of the listing.

newshellc_zps62e3b6de.jpg

Yes it was a little cheap, bargain of 2012 i think.

success_baby_zpsb355babb.jpg

So i collected the shell via a mate and got it into it's new home for a long time.

pyro_clio573_zps622c8b4e.jpg

pyro_clio575.jpg

pyro_clio576_zps2e246ffd.jpg

pyro_clio580.jpg

pyro_clio584_zps09264a6f.jpg

pyro_clio586_zps7e10bba4.jpg

pyro_clio588_zpsd1059842.jpg

Then tucked it away for the night.

pyro_clio590_zpsb10e290e.jpg

Found some history of the car.

pyro_clio581_zpsc5108b86.jpg

It was a team pyro car and raced in the Bohemien clio cup serries, these seem to be in italy, southern germany and austria.

Finding out about the driver it turns out he lives about 8 miles away from me in a small village near nottingham, chris swanwick his name, touted as the next big thing at one point but seems to have fallen off the radar.

Found various pics on the internet, some of which i'd wish i'd never seen.

cliocup_cz22.jpg

cliocup_cz1.jpg

Last edited:
Some more from it's three race career

pyrocar6_zps5c3ddfe8.jpg

pyrocar3_zps5b5a64c4.jpg

pyrocar2_zps967fca64.jpg

clioboh_zps6a230e27.jpg

clio_boh2_zpsccbc726f.jpg

clio_boh_zps7e694185.jpg

Thats right, just three races, it was a new shell made in dieppe in late 2011, made into a new car for the 2012 season.

It raced at monza then two of the bohemia races, rounds two and three and was damaged at the red bull ring and then it stopped.

Talking to a couple of the guys at Pyro it was reshelled after that to become someone elses racecar and the shell sat about until ending up on ebay late last year.

Last edited:
One of the first things i bought for the project was a rear bumper, well two bumpers and a new bumper bracket from the ads on here.

carbon_vents015.jpg

Then i won a rear light on ebay for £2.20 :thumbup1:

bargain_bucket002_zps66d1de9a.jpg

Then came a tailgate from a renault breakers.

tailgate004_zps22ee9d71.jpg

You'll notice it has no rear window, i decided i wanted to go for plastic rear windows so a bit pointless buying one with a rear window, finding one without got me a bargain price of £30, the other rear light for £20 and a fiver for one tailgate strut (only need one with all the weight removed)

Then fitted a rear tow strap on a cut down laguna bracket.

chubby179_zpsc7198401.jpg

Next i was offered a complete rear beam for a fair price, minus the dampers.

rear_beam006_zps8b771c20.jpg

rear_beam007_zps11e9dd4b.jpg

Looking for fromt suspension now so i can get it rolling.

Last edited:
When i first fitted the tailgate i stupidly forgot to fit any washers on the nuts holding the hinges, this was ok at first whilst i lined up the tailgate but when i was happy with the fit i then fitted the one gas strut, as i tried to close the tailgate the extra force now involved pulled the nuts throught the holes in the roof and forced the tailgate down at a funny angle.

Not funny haha but odd angle, this then smashed my *bargain* rear light unit.

I thought i was doing well :slap: that was a slap in the face. :lol:

Next i wanted to fit the safety clips used on the race cars.

sbapcf_racing002_zps637adf7b.jpg

But instead of just riviting them to the boot lid i used my favorite rivnuts

sbapcf_racing007_zpsb6703eb7.jpg

These are a neater solution and look a lot better.

Both fitted.

sbapcf_racing004_zps21f42a3a.jpg

Next bargain was a bottom arm and a drivers side headlight, total cost £10

alphabet021_zps5cfceba4.jpg

I keep picking up the odd bit here and theremostly through ebay, last weekend i found a passenger door complete for £80, everything except the door card (but i have a pair of those), bargain again as people are wanting around £150 for just a bare door, this was off a cup too.

Thats about were i am at the moment with it.

Not 100% on which way to go with the engine yet but a good way to go would be with buying a megane complete for the engine/box and i could use a good part of the front suspension, hubs seem to be the same just change the bracket on the bottom as the bottom arms are different.

Cheers peeps, not in any hurry with this as i was not looking for another project, just after a cage i was :blush:hmy:

Think i'll sell the Alfa 145 then move on with this.

Got the passenger door fitted once i'd bought some hinges and a latch (£20)

2022_4797805915354_555190352_n.jpg

Found a LY wing for £38 and an aliminium bonnet for £10 (dented)

537137_4797810315464_1936746357_n.jpg

Scrutineering stickers

314799_4797812155510_916117881_n.jpg

Think these will have to stay on and i'll paint round them.:001_unsure:

Looking good mate.

Do you have any photos of the tailgate safety catch pins inside and also of the cut down rear tow bracket

Looking good mate.

Do you have any photos of the tailgate safety catch pins inside and also of the cut down rear tow bracket

No, but i'll take some next time out, i took note of the 20/ten cars in november and tried to copy that, made a circular hole from the inside, about 30mm so it has plenty of clearance.

Have you had it jigged?

No, not yet.

Were not sure it needs it to be honest, taking measurements from the underside it appears to be out by*only 2mm

When we have the front suspension on we'll be able to a) get it in the body shop and b) measure it properly.

When i bought it i spoke to mark at Pyro and he said it was 'about 5mm out' but when i collected it the two Pyro mechanics who helped me load it onto truck said 'i doubt it's that far out' so we'll see, once the quarter is pulled out it may be right.

*When my mate whos doing the job worked at car clinic (now works for himself) he was allowed to have a tolerance of 2.5mm.

I know thats for a road car but this will be done to get that 2mm, if it is that far out, right. i wonder how much tolerance renault allow?

Nice find! Interesting little project man. From the track pics it seems that the driver was out front most of the time :thumbup: (hopefully not being lapped :eek: lol )

Good luck, and keep the updates coming.

with all those different coloured panels its going to look like one of those vw harlequins :lol: