Creak from steering column at slow speeds

Hi,

Has anyone else ever experienced a creaking noise coming from their steering rack at very slow and parking speeds?

It's only noticeable inside the car and it's definitely affected by the pressure/resistiveness of the ground the front wheels are on. There's no noise at speed (15mph+ or on damp grass); some noise turning whilst moving and a slightly louder one when turning at a stand still.

Can anyone put my mind to rest? Is it just the steering system taking load of the wheels or am I soon going to find the steering wheel in my lap whilst driving to work?

Thanks

Meep

Sounds like strut top bearings, can happen when salt gets to them and sometimes if you hose up into the arches when cleaning, some mud/salt can get in there and make them creak at low speeds. Good excuse to get the car lowered now!

Cheers toop, I'll put that to the missus. :wink:

"It's a serious threat to my road safety. The only cure is new springs and dampers. May as well get H&R ones while I am at it."

Sweeeet.

Also have the same problem with mine. It sounds like an old ship creaking in the wind.

Mine seemed to appear after a longish drive in hot conditions.

my guess is that it would be the HUB !!!! mine did it when they were gone... the top strut bearing does not move when you turn the wheels, the independent axis front suspension doh! so my guess is don't be so happy until you rule it out cause the hubs are expensive.... could easily get a set of h&r's and new dampers for the price of them hubs done...

I had this problem on my brand new Twingo RS. It took about 3 months to sort out because it wouldn't do it when I wanted it to! Lol. In the end the electric motor and whole power steering rack was replaced - Success! :smile: